Polishing windshield - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 18th, 2011, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Polishing windshield

I have a windshield that came with my bike that is very dull and scratched. I really like the size and air flow from it but I can't hardly see through it. I was wondering if anyone has used the headlight polishing kits from either Mother's or Meguiars with any success?? I don't want to waste money or totally ruin what is left for visibilty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 18th, 2011, 9:27 pm

Re: Polishing windshield

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...s_And_Polishes

Novus is a good bet for scratched/fogged up windshields.

Use 3 , then 2, then 1

We have had a lot of success on motorcycle faceshields and windshields as well as race car lexan windshields.

If scratches are too deep--you will need a new windshield!
post #3 of 11 Old May 19th, 2011, 7:16 am

TVOLK, have you actually used this product on an LT shield? Just want to be sure as I have used cleaners on auto headlight covers before and made them worse than before.

post #4 of 11 Old May 19th, 2011, 7:27 am

X2 on the Novus. Mothers works ok on new or slightly faded plastic. I have used Novus and others as well. Dont worry too much about making it worse. It just takes elbow grease and time to get it polished. Think of the surface like that on a faded car. When you buff it out it clears up the fade and is clear again.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 Old May 19th, 2011, 7:51 am

I have used the Novus products on my LT windshield since the bike was new in 2003.

I have also used the product on a dozen other bikes I have had over the last 10 years.

*****funny how I have kept the LT and bought and sold so many other bikes--mostly BMW's---the LT just works for me!
post #6 of 11 Old May 19th, 2011, 8:25 am

Thanks guys, glad to know I can restore my shield with confidence.
post #7 of 11 Old May 20th, 2011, 12:05 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys Novus it is. Now I just have to find it locally.
post #8 of 11 Old May 20th, 2011, 12:47 am

Not sure how bad it is but you may want to first try Turtle Wax "ICE" liquid (not the detailer).
It works great on plastics and rubber and will polish out small scratches.
If it doesn't work you can use it for your bike and helmets!
BTW if you polish the WS to aggressively you will remove the outer layer and really screw it up, it is NOT like a headlight lens. I destroyed my Harley WS once.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #9 of 11 Old May 20th, 2011, 8:06 am

You will have NO luck trying to polish a stock LT windshield! It is made of Polycarbonate (Lexan) for safety purposes, as it will not shatter like Acrylic (Plexiglass). Most other motorcycles use Acrylic, but BMW is more safety minded.

Problem is that Polycarbonate is much softer than Acrylic, so the windshield has a scratch resistant coating on it. That coating cannot be "polished" like plain Acrylic. If you try abrasive products on it you will just end up removing the coating in spots, and the underlying Polycarbonate is far more difficult to polish out than Acrylic is.

As suggested, try Turtle Wax ICE. That will not "Polish" it, but may fill in the micro scratches and make it look much clearer.

One thing to know though, is that the stock coating has a tendency to absorb moisture and become "cloudy" or "hazy". That may be a big part of your current problem. That moisture can be removed by soaking a rag in denatured alcohol and rubbing the surface until the haze clears. Only THEN should you try any coating, like ICE or Plexus, as that will seal any absorbed moisture into the coating.

To see if it is moisture, let the bike sit with the sun on the windshield for some time, that will also drive the moisture out if it is a nice dry day.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 11 Old May 20th, 2011, 10:26 am

I called the manager at a TAP Plastic store. The dudes know plastics of all kinds up one side and down the other. My question was: "What would you charge me to polish the polycarbonate windshield on my motorcycle?" His reply was basically that the material was too soft to polish out and the chance of success was so small that they weren't willing to give it a try.

I hardly ever look through the dang thing anyway thanks to the electric windshield.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #11 of 11 Old May 21st, 2011, 10:13 am

Actually - you can indeed polish polycarbonate...

One of my employees is also a weekend crew chief for National Guard F-16 jets, and here's what they use to polish polycarbonate canopies, but only on the outside since the inside is coated with vapor deposited gold for radiation protection. Interestingly enough the canopies also use several acrylic layers as well.

It's about $100.00 for a kit from Micro Mesh, I used it on the wife's cars cloudy headlight covers - and it worked great. The issue with the LT's OEM windshield - as David mentioned - will probably be the silicone coating - not too sure how it would work with that. Probably create a real mess.

This kit is far beyond the garbage they sell in auto parts stores. As usual, you get what you pay for. This works. This will polish 100 square feet!

My best recommendation would be to just blow off the polishing and buy a new V-Stream windshield. The coating they have is excellent and with a little due caution when cleaning it will NOT scratch or haze. Much, much better than BMW's coating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polycarbonate.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	31394   Click image for larger version

Name:	V-stream Quantum.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	31395  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; May 21st, 2011 at 10:25 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in