Mirror Vibration fix? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 18th, 2011, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

Mirror Vibration fix?

On the way to work this morning I noticed that my right side mirror vibrates more than the left. It's enough that it even makes a very audible rattle when idling. I can still see enough out of it to be functional but just wondering if it is something that happens regularly or not.

I popped the mirror/case off but can't really see how to access the interior to find out if a bolt is loose.

Any help will be appreciated.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
1989 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 18th, 2011, 4:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Mirror Vibration fix?

The bolts are on the fairing body (the three gold ones) and they fit into three spring loaded clips on the mirror. One of the clips may have broken.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #3 of 9 Old May 18th, 2011, 4:31 pm

If you'll look closely at the ends of the three spring clips on the rear of your mirror, you may see that a portion of the retaining piece of plastic is missing. That was my experience. That piece is on the opposite end of the spring clip where the clip is rounded... the other ends are embedded into the mirror body. The piece keeps that portion of the clip in place around the rounded head of the three retaining screws. If it is broken, as was in my case, the mirror can easily move away from the fairing, ending with vibration in the mirror.

I used JB Weld for a fix on mine. Worked for awhile, but broke off when I was reinstalling the mirrors after taking off the Tupperware again for the umpteenth time for installation of a CB/Intercom. So... I bit the bullet and ordered a new Mirror Cup for the right side. It's not that expensive, as BMW parts go, and took about 30 minutes to take apart the mirror and reinstall the new cup part.

If you do that or anytime you are reinstalling the mirrors, I'd suggest a dab of grease on the balls of the three screws to help get the spring clips around them and seated good.

Good luck with the fix.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old May 19th, 2011, 9:10 am Thread Starter

As always guys...thanks for the help. It's definitely worth it to donate to this website. I've saved a lot of $$$ already.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
1989 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #5 of 9 Old May 19th, 2011, 1:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Study the break carefully. I was able to fix mine with a drill bit and a zip strip. Still holding after two years. Notice the red adhesive along the edge. It's 3M #800 available at your local appliance repair shops. Also keep the retainer balls well greased to prevent this type of break in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	663.8 KB
ID:	31388  

Last edited by deanwoolsey; May 19th, 2011 at 1:12 pm.
post #6 of 9 Old May 19th, 2011, 1:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My '99 has its clips still intact, but the plastic is not in the greatest shape, so I also get vibration on the right side mirror. I inserted a strip of black foam between the mirror and the mating plastic from the top to the bottom edge. Looks fine and puts enough pressure on the mirror to stop the vibration. I also have black tie-wraps as tethers. Haven't had them pop off since and it's been over a year of riding.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #7 of 9 Old May 19th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Just wondering - is it the mirror inside the casing vibrating or the casing?
post #8 of 9 Old May 19th, 2011, 9:27 pm

I too had similar problems. The plastic area that hold the spring clips can crack easily and the clip can begin to move around. I used automotive goop-sold in a tube to reenforce that area and it's been holding ever since. This is a cheap fix.
post #9 of 9 Old May 19th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Big Geo - Bet it was/is the entire mirror vibrating. If only the mirror vibrated, that would mean either it was partially separated from the circular adjustment piece or that the adjustment piece was loose. Can't see the three long screws coming loose from inside to loosen that adjustment piece. In my case I could reach up and put my right index finger where it would touch the fairing of the LT and the mirror and could feel the movement.

Seems like a pretty flimsy way to attach the mirror to the bike, but they were thinking of a way to easily detach it for service and better to knock one off moving the bike around than to crack either the mirror or the fairing in that area. Most of us have devised a tether internally in the mirror to keep them from hitting the floor or the highway in case they decide to exit the bike.

Since putting mine on a couple of days ago it's rock solid at speed and I think the chrome dresses up even old '99.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in