Smartire battery life - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 17th, 2011, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Smartire battery life

I have done some searches and there are multiple references to Smartire but not much on battery service life. I see one suggesting 60k miles but I am looking for anyone that has experienced or heard of end-of-life for any Smartire installations. Manual says 7 seasons and average M/C runs about 4K according to KBB..... so 7 seasons times 4K may be average for US or the northeast. Not usually here with BMW riders but these systems are designed for all types of riders.

I installed my Smartire in early spring of 2006 and I have 45K on the units and the wheel sensors seem to not be found sometimes starting late last year and would go missing in action more frequently. They usually show up later but I am wondering if my battery life is winding down.

I am about to replace both tires in the next month and I wonder if I should be looking to make a preemptive replacement of the system. I don't know what I will replace it with right know as I am just looking for experience. I have come to rely on my TPS and I will replace it should it fail but doing so out of the tire replacement window significantly adds to the cost. It might also be more convenient doing a maintenance replacement especially if I am entering into the 'marginal zone'.

What is the collective experience of this group show?

How far can we go?

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 17th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Smartire battery life

Similar question regarding battery life. Just a thought. Has anyone tried to open up one of these little suckers to see if the battery is replaceable ? Sure I know they are covered with some type of epoxy but they had to be manufactured at some time, even if the battery is soldered onto a chip, I am going to try a rebuild when it stops. What ever is possible.
Really like my smart tyre system, most inconvenient for the company to stop manufacturing the M/C units. Saved my life once already, sure has paid for itself already.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #3 of 8 Old May 17th, 2011, 11:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Smartire battery life

I cut into a failed unit on my wifes Town & Country and was able to remove the battery from uder the epoxy. Unfortunately the battery was fine but the unit wasn't. I have not been into the Smartire units... yet. Mine are still going after 5 years.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old May 17th, 2011, 11:46 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Smartire battery life

Thanks John. IIRC with my documentation it mentioned 5-7 years, but I guess that would depend on usage. Smart tire as a company has been very helpful even notifying me of an upgrade to the sending units and replacing FOC. Perhaps they could be persuaded to run another batch to cater for their old M/C customers. Failing that just have to dig in when needed and take a look.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #5 of 8 Old May 17th, 2011, 11:54 pm

On my 5th year with sensors and sitting within 4th set of tires still working fine.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T
wisties Required

post #6 of 8 Old May 18th, 2011, 6:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Can't really speak to battery life as I rotate between 2-3 set of sending units. The oldest
is at least 6 years old. I do have several old/broken units that I plan on disassembling
whan I get time.

Dan Martin
post #7 of 8 Old May 18th, 2011, 9:39 am

I pulled the correspondence I have regarding the SmartTire recall back in '04 and it mentions an average life span for the sending/sensor units at ~7 years. I think ole Toad is just about ready for a new set!! Luckily, thanks to Dan, we've got a 'new in the foil' set ready to go. Doesn't have a date on the package, butt may have inside - dunno. Least they're unused.
post #8 of 8 Old May 18th, 2011, 12:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I pulled the correspondence I have regarding the SmartTire recall back in '04 and it mentions an average life span for the sending/sensor units at ~7 years. I think ole Toad is just about ready for a new set!! Luckily, thanks to Dan, we've got a 'new in the foil' set ready to go. Doesn't have a date on the package, butt may have inside - dunno. Least they're unused.
After having the Smartire system (recommended on this site, I think by the other Dan) on my bike for the last few years, I can not imagine not knowing the tire pressures as I leave on a ride. It became the most important option on my K1200LT. The new lucky owner who is picking up the bike tonight, gets it and it and probably has a few more years on the batteries.

Did anyone ever determine if the car or truck sensors would work with the bikes monitor? Seems that the 4 tire sensors would give you a few spares that could be sold or swapped.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in