Had Brake Flush done, need help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old May 17th, 2011, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Had Brake Flush done, need help

I had the Brake flush done on my 2002 k1200lt today. The problem I have is it is throwing a code showing that the brake level is low, but the reservoir is full. We checked everything to make sure that the sensor was working, and it seems to be. I'm getting the wig wag flash from brake light, and the red triangle. Has this happened to anyone else? If so how did you fix it? Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old May 17th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Re: Had Brake Flush done, need help

did you check both reservoirs in the back under the seat? I was getting the wig wag and filled the big one in the back but didn't check the smaller one. Fill it to the max level and lights went out. To get to the smaller one you will have to remove the plastic next to it to get to easier. It doesn't take much to fill it up.

2002 LT 'The Golden Girl'
post #3 of 18 Old May 17th, 2011, 6:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound
did you check both reservoirs in the back under the seat? I was getting the wig wag and filled the big one in the back but didn't check the smaller one. Fill it to the max level and lights went out. To get to the smaller one you will have to remove the plastic next to it to get to easier. It doesn't take much to fill it up.

Yes,both of the reservoirs were checked. Also,put in a new battery and still got the same error. Also checked load on battery and it was fine .. Forgot to mention earlier this is happening when I turn the key on,and after the brake failure light flashes a couple times it goes to the wig wag. Thanks

post #4 of 18 Old May 17th, 2011, 8:01 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Add fluid anyway until it is right at the top of both chambers. Those sensors are very sensitive and a teaspoon of fluid will make a difference.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old May 17th, 2011, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Add fluid anyway until it is right at the top of both chambers. Those sensors are very sensitive and a teaspoon of fluid will make a difference.
Thanks, I will fill it up as much as I can as soon as I get a chance. It maybe Fri. Before I get to, thanks...
post #6 of 18 Old May 20th, 2011, 1:15 pm Thread Starter

Ok guys I've filled all the reservoirs all the way up, and have even bleed the brakes again, and still getting the wig wag. Anybody have any other ideas. Thanks...
post #7 of 18 Old May 20th, 2011, 3:44 pm

Unhappy Re: Had Brake Flush done, need help

I am having the same problem with brake light wig waging, Had certified BMW mechanic look at and he could not get the light off. No faults recorded, disconnected battery checked lights in back. Nothing has worked. Mine is 05 LT ABS

Last edited by MYAGER; May 20th, 2011 at 3:53 pm.
post #8 of 18 Old May 20th, 2011, 4:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAGER
I am having the same problem with brake light wig waging, Had certified BMW mechanic look at and he could not get the light off. No faults recorded, disconnected battery checked lights in back. Nothing has worked. Mine is 05 LT ABS
I know what you mean. What upsets me is I had the break flush done to keep this from happening. I bought the bike about a month ago, and worried I have got a lemon. I love the bike and how it rides, but this drives me crazy. Mine is an 02...

I ready to take the black tape and put over the lights...
post #9 of 18 Old May 20th, 2011, 10:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just to make sure we know which wig wag you are getting. When you first turn on the key you should get a very fast flash until it completes its first set of tests. During this test you cannot apply the brakes or the test will not complete. Leave it in gear with the brakes off on a slope until the fast flash goes to slow. Then you can apply brakes and pull in the clutch to start the engine. The slow flash will continue until you drive a few feet and it completes the rolling test of the ABS sensors. Then they should go out.

The only thing I know is the fluid sensors to cause a continued flash. There may be a wiring fault in the sensor line causing it to sense low when it isn't. That is the only thing left to check. ( if the wheel sensors had been bad they would have set a code for the dealer to pull).

For the guy with the 05 you do know that the monitored reservoirs are ON the ABS unit and they are black so you have to open the cap to check the level. Usually on the 05 and up if you are getting the wig wag your pads are worn and that has lowered the fluid level.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 Old May 21st, 2011, 12:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Just to make sure we know which wig wag you are getting. When you first turn on the key you should get a very fast flash until it completes its first set of tests. During this test you cannot apply the brakes or the test will not complete. Leave it in gear with the brakes off on a slope until the fast flash goes to slow. Then you can apply brakes and pull in the clutch to start the engine. The slow flash will continue until you drive a few feet and it completes the rolling test of the ABS sensors. Then they should go out.

The only thing I know is the fluid sensors to cause a continued flash. There may be a wiring fault in the sensor line causing it to sense low when it isn't. That is the only thing left to check. ( if the wheel sensors had been bad they would have set a code for the dealer to pull).

For the guy with the 05 you do know that the monitored reservoirs are ON the ABS unit and they are black so you have to open the cap to check the level. Usually on the 05 and up if you are getting the wig wag your pads are worn and that has lowered the fluid level.
When I turn the key on, brake failure comes on and flashes to do the test, when the test is complete I get the brake Failure light and triangle light rotate on and off like a wig wag.
post #11 of 18 Old May 21st, 2011, 5:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeeman
When I turn the key on, brake failure comes on and flashes to do the test, when the test is complete I get the brake Failure light and triangle light rotate on and off like a wig wag.

Does the wig wag stay on as you drive down the road?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #12 of 18 Old May 21st, 2011, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Does the wig wag stay on as you drive down the road?
Yeah, rode about 100 miles yesterday and stayed on the whole time.
post #13 of 18 Old May 21st, 2011, 9:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

OK. The only fault that causes the wig wag is the low fluid fault. So either the sensors (there is one on each half of the reservoir) are stuck or a wire is shorted, if you have fully topped off both the chambers in the rear reservoir.

Mapsource shows you are about 200 miles from here coming down Hyway 90 to TN then through Livingston and Cookville, etc. Might be a nice ride and I'll see if I can figure out a fix for your problem some weekend.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Last edited by jzeiler; May 21st, 2011 at 9:55 pm.
post #14 of 18 Old May 22nd, 2011, 8:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
OK. The only fault that causes the wig wag is the low fluid fault. So either the sensors (there is one on each half of the reservoir) are stuck or a wire is shorted, if you have fully topped off both the chambers in the rear reservoir.

Mapsource shows you are about 200 miles from here coming down Hyway 90 to TN then through Livingston and Cookville, etc. Might be a nice ride and I'll see if I can figure out a fix for your problem some weekend.
That sounds like a good idea, I'm not sure when I can. I've sending you a pm.
post #15 of 18 Old May 29th, 2011, 10:42 am Thread Starter

Well, guys thought I would update everyone, and get your opinion on this. I took my bike to BMW in Louisville on Friday, and they hooked it up to there computer and there computer said the same thing low brake fluid. So at first they said it could be the abs pump, but they also said that usually if the pump was out, or going out that it would show a code on the computer. So they seem to think that the. Floaters are bad in my brake fluid container. Just wondering if anyone has heard of this, or if it has happened to anyone. Thanks for your info and input.
post #16 of 18 Old May 29th, 2011, 11:49 am

I've not heard of the floaters being bad...but certainly would be what I would focus on since everything else is normal. As mentioned b4, check them and make sure they're not stuck or shorted.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #17 of 18 Old May 29th, 2011, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I've not heard of the floaters being bad...but certainly would be what I would focus on since everything else is normal. As mentioned b4, check them and make sure they're not stuck or shorted.
According to what they told me Friday they checked all that. So hopefully a new reservoir will do the trick. Thanks....
post #18 of 18 Old May 29th, 2011, 6:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Easy to check the float switches. They should be open with the fluid low and closed with the fluid high. Put a meter across the terminals on the ohms scale.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in