additional carying space on the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

additional carying space on the LT

I am struggling to find a solution to getting more "trunk" space that looks good on the LT.

I want to carry a decent first aid kit but with what I have in the trunk, my rain gear in one saddle bag and clothing in the other I am out of space.

My Gear is also VERY bulky (Motoport Kevlar Jacket and pants)

I NEVER ride two up and have a waterproof duffel for the back seat, but it would like a cleaner look.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 6:41 pm

Re: additional carying space on the LT

Hiya.

Without wishing to sound facetious why would you want to carry a decent first aid kit. By their nature first aid kits are small, a few plasters, surgical wipes, a small bandage, melolin patch, micropore tape, and if your lucky a small pair of scissors or a blade. BMW do one that you could fit in your jacket pocket.

God forbid the day we have a fall or we meet someone who is involved in an accident because no first aid kit we bikers (or car or truck drivers)carry is going to be of any use whatsoever. They are only designed for minor usage. Major blood trauma rip your shirt off and pack the wound and wait for the professionals to arrive.

Regards

Mike
post #3 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 6:48 pm

A small first aid kit is sufficient.

A few bandages and some antiseptic, maybe some eye flush.. In most first aid classes to day, the trend is to stabilize and dial 911. Even CPR is now just chest compressions except in a drowning situation.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

Re: additional carrying space on the LT

I guess that I should add that I was a Paramedic and am a current member of the FL State Emergency Responders and Disaster Preparedness Network and a member of the United States Medical Reserve Corps.

I am certified as a Medical Reserve Corps command staff member and in Mass Prophylaxis Point of Dispensing (POD) IE dispensing the Anthrax vaccine.

In my man cave I am well stocked to setup a triage center, handle casualties, fatalities, etc.

So as you can see I take my first aid seriously...

With that said, I am not looking at a fully stocked Trauma center to carry around nor driving an ambulance anymore, but it would be nice to have the space to carry my more advanced supplies to stabalize a ridding partner or accident victim.

Make sense now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 7:12 pm

If you take out the bottom liner of the top box you will get a couple more cubic inches.

Garry
post #6 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Hi, Paul. For an example of extra carrying space, see if you can find a pic by Ken Meese that shows his ghetto mod. It's a PVC tube that he affixed to the bottom of the right saddle bag - makes the LT look like it has twice-pipes. Used it for carrying smallish tools, etc. that aren't needed on all trips. I'll see if I can find it and post it if I do.

I'm thinking of doing something similar, butt using the ass-end of a buggered exhaust unit as the tool holder. Although most all my tools lay flat on the floor of the left saddlebag, there are times when more space is needed, since I rarely have the top box installed on ole Toad.

Edit: Here is one pic of Meese's tool carrier.

Last edited by Dick; May 17th, 2011 at 9:04 pm.
post #7 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 7:15 pm

Re: additional carrying space on the LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight

Paramedic and am a current member of the FL State Emergency Responders and Disaster Preparedness Network and a member of the United States Medical Reserve Corps. certified as a Medical Reserve Corps command staff member and in Mass Prophylaxis Point of Dispensing (POD) IE dispensing the Anthrax vaccine.

?
I want you as my riding buddy!!!
Aside from what has been suggested, a small trailer... :-)

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 7:59 pm Thread Starter

all in the name of being prepared.

post #9 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 8:01 pm

You said that you ride solo, but do you have the trunk on? When I ride solo, no trunk, but one of Spuds racks. On that I carry a Cortek bag, which is large enough for the first-aid kit I carry. My kit, based on what I read here, is much larger than most, but I have plent of room for it.
That bag is attached using a bungie net, which also allows plenty of room to stuff more gear under it.
When we ride double, I have the RKA bag that attaches to the rack on top of the trunk. Being that high, it's only used for the lightest of gear - rain gear, wallets, purses camera and yes, first aid kit.
post #10 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

What I really like is this one from Jessee, the 35 liter "pizza box" but the price is WAY to high to stomach at this time.

This is the one that was in the BMW MOA mag that they had their first aid kit in.

Unfortunally the price like I said is way too high and I do not think it would look real nice.

I might just go back to carrying my Sealline wide mouth duffel on the pillon seat and loading the sadde bag with my kit. The only problem is I hate leaving the bag on the bike when I go into a meetings out in the packing lot, I am always afraid that some lookey loo might try to mess with my stuff.

On the Sealline bag, I put in a steel plate bottom with trim to help the bag hold its shape for road trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35lpizza.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	31372   Click image for larger version

Name:	seal_widemouth_duffles.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	31373  

post #11 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 8:47 pm

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
When I ride with multiple jackets (expecting severe temp changes) I take one set or armor. The jacket packs much better. I little longer to change equipment but more room in the side case.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #12 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 8:50 pm

this looks fairly inexpensive Just couldnt help but share this pic
post #13 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 9:05 pm

not trying to hijack but how does that goldwing steer???

93 katana 600 wrecked
82 v45 magna sold (never should have)
80 xj650 maxim sold but not forgotten
99 K1200LT Lovin' it!
any @ss can ride fast, it takes a pro to ride slow... one day i could be that pro.
post #14 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 9:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Wow, that brings back some memories. That pic was taken at a BMW-only track day, where I got to run the LT to its limits. Actually fired up the old LT yesterday and went for a ride. It's still a great old bike.

On to the original topic. When you say:
Quote:
my rain gear in one saddle bag

Do you mean that the Motoport stuff is only worn when it rains? Or do you wear it to ride, then tuck it away when you get to your destination? Surely it's the latter for a trained paramedic.

What I did on long, fully-loaded two-up trips was to get a cable and lock and a half cover. The helmets and jackets (and pants, if you want to remove them) get set onto the seats, and locked to the saddlebag handles by running the cable through the face area, arms, and legs, then through the handles. Then toss the half-cover over everything to cover it up and keep it dry.

So in a couple of minutes your stuff is locked and out of sight, and your saddlebags and trunk remain free for other items.

And if you move the trunk to the rearward position, there is enough room to tuck the half-cover behind the passenger seat, and maybe the cable, too.

That worked well for us while riding all over Europe, and touring back in the States.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 38 Old May 17th, 2011, 9:27 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsucharda
not trying to hijack but how does that goldwing steer???
Very poorly, I'd imagine.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 38 Old May 18th, 2011, 7:05 am

That Gold Wing looks like it would be in a constant wheelie when ever the slightest throttle was applied.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #17 of 38 Old May 18th, 2011, 8:06 am

You might want to look at RedOX bags, especially the 'Gator'. I keep my Digital SLR and 4 lens in it(including a large 70-200 zoom). Very small bag and tough. I own three of their bags and use them for bike travel as well as business travel. They come with a life time guarantee.. I am sure you could find one that would meet your needs.

Good Luck

2002 LT 'The Golden Girl'
post #18 of 38 Old May 18th, 2011, 8:15 am Thread Starter

@meese, YES I am ATGATT 100%.

I ride for work, and even wear suits to customer's offices. I was encourged to do this by some co workers in Germany who do a simialar job as mine and the ride to customer's offices almost everyday. Except they ride around Munich or Frankfurt for work and I ride Orlando to Miami, or to Atlanta or to Jacksonville, etc. and stay overnight in hotels while there riding is around town 99% of the time.

The problem is after I check out of a hotel and I am loaded with a suit or two, three dress shirts and other sundry items, including a laptop and valise,along with the normal tools, first aid kit, etc, and ride over to the customer's office and need to leave everything except the laptop and the suit on my back.

I guess I will have to start locking up the Motoport gear to the bike and get a cable for the helmet....

post #19 of 38 Old May 18th, 2011, 11:21 am

Have you tried a tank bag. I have one available through twisted throttle and am quite happy with it.

Ross
K1200LT (99)
post #20 of 38 Old May 18th, 2011, 3:11 pm

I have a LT and ride solo most of the time.

After a lot of playing around I have the following set up that I like :

1.) remove the rear top case and put a Ft Worth (or equal) rack on. The bike loses 35 lbs of top heavy weight and handles way better!

2.) use any number/type of waterproof soft bags -or put a hard bag on the rack. You will end up with more storage overall as well as a lot more packing flexibility.

3.) use a good tank bag---this forum is a great place to search for options

4.) I have a waterproof duffle bag strapped on my passenger seat that holds a lot of my stuff. I like the weight to be , as much as possible, between the axles!

Tom Volk

Full disclosure:
I own RPW
home of Marsee products and Helen Twowheels Products
www.racerpartswholesale.com

My bike:
I have a Large H2W Clothes sack on the passenger seat strapped down with the LT specific H2W straps. I have a Marsee 20L rear bag on my Ft Worth rack. I have a 10L Marsee tank bag (specific mounting just for the LT) When I need to carry more --I either stack a Medium H2W clothes sack on top of the passenger seat Large bag--or I replace the 20L Marsee Rear bag with a bigger Marsee or H2W bag(s).
post #21 of 38 Old May 18th, 2011, 7:00 pm

Karen and I strap our sleeping bags, inside waterproof bags, between the passenger arm rests (D. Muddiman) and the passenger hand holds.
I guess you could put anything that size there. (assuming you have arm rests)

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #22 of 38 Old May 18th, 2011, 8:51 pm

When I'm not going 2 up I mount a backpack on the passenger seat. It takes all my spill overs leaving the bags and trunk less " jam packed". Its alot cheaper than a backrest and it fills the space between you and the flat face of the trunk and speakers keeping air along a less restrictive line. I put a garbage bag inside for a liner and mostly fill it with the lighter stuff reserving the bags for the heavier things that I want as low on the bike as possible. Let the HD guys worry about how it looks. Ferdinand Beemer said "Form follows function"
post #23 of 38 Old May 18th, 2011, 11:12 pm

IMHO... the TBags Backseater -->http://www.tbags.com/detail.aspx?ID=3&SelectedCat=3
is a neat way to go. I used it on many long (21) state trips on the Goldwing and now it fits perfectly on the back seat on the 99' LT. I have the fold down arm rest and also a back rest, and this bag will sit easily in that space behind me. I attach it with straps to the luggage rack and it sits there without any movement.

It's contains all the everyday things I need and in about a minute it's off the bike and in the motel. It has a self contained rain cover in the back pocket along with back pack straps in case you have to trek a little distance with it. Lots of pockets for small things and seems to be just the size for extended trips. With one saddle bag for tools, compressor and spares and the other for a light weight air jacket and liner and rain gear, this bag carries everything else and leaves the trunk to lock jacket and helmet when away from the bike.

I know it will be on the LT the 8th of June when my brother-in-law and I head out for a 30 day trip to Nova Scotia and PEI.

Just my opinion, yours might very and that's all right too.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #24 of 38 Old May 22nd, 2011, 9:57 pm

Garage

[QUOTE=pauleknight]@meese, YES I am ATGATT 100%.

I ride for work, and even wear suits to customer's offices. I was encourged to do this by some co workers in Germany who do a simialar job as mine and the ride to customer's offices almost everyday. Except they ride around Munich or Frankfurt for work and I ride Orlando to Miami, or to Atlanta or to Jacksonville, etc. and stay overnight in hotels while there riding is around town 99% of the time.

The problem is after I check out of a hotel and I am loaded with a suit or two, three dress shirts and other sundry items, including a laptop and valise,along with the normal tools, first aid kit, etc, and ride over to the customer's office and need to leave everything except the laptop and the suit on my back.

I too ride mostly 1up.
And you mentioned your line of work. I got a MOLLE II desert camo back pack which you are more than familiar with. It is cheap, could definitely handle the weather and could handle a number of different attachment pouches. It doubles for a backrest on or off the bike or even a pillow. I keep a sleeping bag in the sleep chamber and all my other stuff goes in the top. It should easily replace a duffle bag. There is also a large front pocket and the top flap is fully lined with see through plastic for maps or important papers.
Check out armygear.net
ride safe
post #25 of 38 Old May 23rd, 2011, 1:14 am

Sounds like you need the BMR flatbed for the back seat of the LT. I have used one for a few years and when you need to carry lots of stuff and want to keep it tied down and organized this is great with it's tie down points. For a smaller kit I would suggest move the trunk to the rear position and then you have a nice place in between back of the seat and the trunk.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #26 of 38 Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:35 am

www.bushtec.com (example in my avatar)

Ok, not ON the LT, but you really won't know its there.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #27 of 38 Old May 23rd, 2011, 7:40 pm
JMW

Here's an idea. I use it for a small air compressor:

Pelican 1150-000-110 Small DSLR Camera Case
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelican.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	31420  
post #28 of 38 Old May 24th, 2011, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW
Here's an idea. I use it for a small air compressor:

Pelican 1150-000-110 Small DSLR Camera Case
I think we have a winner!!!!

that looks GREAT, except for how is it mounted?

Now I got to figure out a way to make the case removable!

Anyone have any thoughts?

THANKS

post #29 of 38 Old May 24th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Thumbs up Re: additional carying space on the LT

Check the motoport site for a solution for securing the jacket, pants and helment when you need to leave the bike parked while you visit or sight see.

I got one that I can also secure the tank bag as well as the helmet, jacket and pants.

Used it on two occasions so far. Works good.
post #30 of 38 Old May 25th, 2011, 10:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSuz
Check the motoport site for a solution for securing the jacket, pants and helment when you need to leave the bike parked while you visit or sight see.

I got one that I can also secure the tank bag as well as the helmet, jacket and pants.

Used it on two occasions so far. Works good.
Can you be more specific? I looked at the motoport site under products/accessories and did not see anything. I searched for "lock" and found nothing. Can you describe what the product is named or provide a link to it?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #31 of 38 Old May 25th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Can you be more specific? I looked at the motoport site under products/accessories and did not see anything. I searched for "lock" and found nothing. Can you describe what the product is named or provide a link to it?

It's the same thing as a bicycle lock.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #32 of 38 Old May 25th, 2011, 1:50 pm

http://www.rivcoproducts.com/product...cat=255&page=1

I have something similar to the link above attached to my Bushtec hitch.

I usually carry a cooler, but have carried a Sealine waterproof bag before.

You could easily lock down a Pelican case.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #33 of 38 Old May 25th, 2011, 6:36 pm
JMW

Quote:
that looks GREAT, except for how is it mounted?
I temporarily removed the license plate holder/sub-fender (2-T45 screws) and used it as a template to locate and drill 4 holes in the rear of the case. I also used the license plate as a template to locate and drill 4 additional holes in the front of the case.

I then bought 4 stainless button-head bolts, washers, and nylock nuts from Lowes. I mounted the case to the sub-fender (bolt head inside the fender) and tightened. I then marked (Sharpie) the amount of bolt that extended beyond the nut, removed the case from the sub-fender, trimmed and ground the bolts, and remounted the case to the sub-fender. Clear silicone was used to seal the holes.

I used a similar process to mount the license plate to the front of the case, and then remounted the sub-fender to the bike.
------------------------------------
Mine is not removable, but if you're using it for a first aid kit, I'm envisioning the kit inside a nylon case (or similar) that would then be stored inside the Pelican. I suppose you might also use wing nuts to mount it, but I'd think that would be difficult/slow in a situation where you'd need a first aid kit.

'09 K1200LT
'11 Suzuki DL650A (V-Strom)
1972 Ossa MAR
1970 Ossa Pioneer 250
1970 Yamaha AT1

Last edited by JMW; May 25th, 2011 at 6:43 pm.
post #34 of 38 Old May 25th, 2011, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW
I temporarily removed the license plate holder/sub-fender (2-T45 screws) and used it as a template to locate and drill 4 holes in the rear of the case. I also used the license plate as a template to locate and drill 4 additional holes in the front of the case.

I then bought 4 stainless button-head bolts, washers, and nylock nuts from Lowes. I mounted the case to the sub-fender (bolt head inside the fender) and tightened. I then marked (Sharpie) the amount of bolt that extended beyond the nut, removed the case from the sub-fender, trimmed and ground the bolts, and remounted the case to the sub-fender. Clear silicone was used to seal the holes.

I used a similar process to mount the license plate to the front of the case, and then remounted the sub-fender to the bike.
------------------------------------
Mine is not removable, but if you're using it for a first aid kit, I'm envisioning the kit inside a nylon case (or similar) that would then be stored inside the Pelican. I suppose you might also use wing nuts to mount it, but I'd think that would be difficult/slow in a situation where you'd need a first aid kit.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #35 of 38 Old May 25th, 2011, 8:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
It's the same thing as a bicycle lock.
Got one of those already. I thought it was something really clever. :-(

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #36 of 38 Old May 31st, 2011, 11:46 am

Garage

I've been looking for an option to mount and release my "Pelican case", there are a few options out there but most are to costly for my budget so..

I modified the original rack, and add an AL rack with a couple of pins at the front to hold the case, then a bracket that I can pass a lock through at the back to keep it there. I'm luck to have scrap AL at work and access to a welder. This is my mock up that just went 2400mile from FL keys to MN. The second day I forgot to gently open the top case and the weight of my camera (22lbs) popped the hold open strap off. But once I fix that, I will add another strap to the other side, then it will balance nicely and shouldn't cause any issues.

Hopefully this link will show you some pics..

Photos
post #37 of 38 Old May 31st, 2011, 12:27 pm

Here's an easy and (almost) free way to open up some readily accessible space, certainly enough for a well sorted out first aid kit behind the passenger seat. I carry two full rain suits and booties there...

Ghetto mod #694 - even MORE passenger room!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #38 of 38 Old May 31st, 2011, 8:26 pm

RKA makes a bag with a mounting pad that is really ok to sit on! Mount the pad to the back seat (velcro straps around the seat). Mount their bag to the pad with straps. Very sturdy, waterproof (with included cover).

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in