Harbor Freight motorcycle dolly - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 16th, 2011, 5:34 pm Thread Starter

Question Harbor Freight motorcycle dolly

Harbor Freight has a motorcycle dolly (item 95896). Anybody try this with an LT? I'm looking for a roller to place my LT against a back wall of my garage so I can get my Wife's car inside. I've tried the Park-N-Ride without success. Any other suggestions besides divorce?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 16th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Re: Harbor Freight motorcycle dolly

Divorce is very expensive BTDT. Harbor Freight is very inexpensive Chinese Sh1T. IMHO, Govern yourself accordingly.

BTW, haven't tried that product.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 12 Old May 16th, 2011, 6:42 pm

I have not tried that item, but my friend bought the Harbor Freight tire dollies to move his car around his shop. Made it 5 feet before the first caster broke.

Bob

post #4 of 12 Old May 16th, 2011, 9:10 pm

For the most part, I agree with Boatzo-- Items from Harbor Freight are almost always Chinese in origin and of variable (less than stellar) quality. I have purchased many things from my local HF store in the last 2 or 3 years, and consider MOST of them disposable. Some examples...

The 4x8 Folding utility trailer - No structural or mechanical problems with it (yet), but the bright red paint faded to a very weathered pink in less than a year. I imagine it's only a matter of time before seals start to fail and the frame starts to rust.

The $39 motorcycle chock mounted to the trailer was installed for less than a month, and the corrosion on the mounting hardware made it difficult to un-install. I could replace the bolts with quality stainless steel, and it would probably last forever.

It's worth mentioning that I used that trailer/chock combo to move my K-LT from North Carolina to north Florida without any real problems-- although I don't recommend the folding trailer. It flexes a LOT in corners, allowing the bike to lean a bit...

Some other examples of tools I purchased from HF:

The trigger-style furniture clamps tend to fall apart after 2 or 3 uses.

The cheap locking pliers ("vice grips") seemed like they'd do OK for household projects, but didn't hold up very well to major mechanical work.

The all-weather tarps work VERY well. Better than some 'commercial' quality tarps I've used. Definitely a good value.

The 900-watt generator has been virtually maintenance-free. It works well for about 7 hours at a time, as long as you don't mind the fact that it puts out 138 volts (instead of 120). Since most of the gear I run on it is self-regulating, I don't worry about it.

The 12" sliding compound mitre saw has completed two flooring projects (~400 sq ft total) without any major adjustments-- although the blade went dull fairly quickly against the laminate materials. Another good-value purchase for the handyman.

I have a 3-piece toolbox that came from HF, and it's held up pretty well for the last year.

I guess what I want to say is, I'd buy non-critical or one-time-use hardware from HF-- but if it's something I planned to use a lot or expected to last a long time, I'd go ahead and drop some cash on quality hardware.

How often do you plan to use the dolly?..

--Jon
post #5 of 12 Old May 16th, 2011, 9:28 pm

I bought one of those dollies, It seems to be OK so far. But I forewarn you, your garage floor must be very smooth otherwise the small casters have a hard time sliding with all the weight

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #6 of 12 Old May 16th, 2011, 9:57 pm

I use the "Park N Move" (PNM). It took a couple of tries to figure it out but now I use it without too many worries.

Roll the back tire up on a short piece of 1X4 on a level hard surface, put the kick stand down, place the PNM under the center stand, project where the center stand will sit on the PNM and adjust, don't lock the PNM stand wheels, use the left grip and the side bag handle to stabilize the bike, move the center stand down with your left foot to touch the PNM, rock it slightly to make sure you are holding the bike level by feeling both feet of the center stand touching the PNM, and then raise the bike up with your left foot.

As a precaution I start the process by making sure I position the bike as to not hit anything on the way down in case I lose it. Maybe be having a bad day?

This has worked for me. I consider the PNM a good purchase. It rolls around fairly easily on the stand and it is helpful when doing some of the maintenance.

I think I read the center stand raise procedure on this site. It works good.

If you feel uncomfortable putting the bike up on the center stand this probably won't work for you. Otherwise this is basically the same deal. I don't know anything about the Harbor Freight lift.

The PNM people are somewhat apologetic about using their product but I think it works as good as you could expect when you are dealing with 800 pounds.
post #7 of 12 Old May 17th, 2011, 4:22 am

I have the Harbor Freight 1200 lb pneumatic lift. I got it 3 days before I got my LT over 2 years ago and about 2 months ago I used it to lift the LT and it emitted a very aggravating hissing noise when I put the foot pedal in the "neutral" position. Aw crap! Time to buy a new hydraulic cylinder. Until I discovered the hole in the hose caused by me running over it with one of the lift wheels. My LT is on the lift as I write this. It is in the full upright and locked position so that I can get photos of the sidecar sub-frame for one of this boards contributors and I'm not in the least bit worried about it being in any danger.

As far as the HF car dollies go I have 4 of them that I used to push around my 1946 Chevrolet pickup. Don't have the pickup anymore so I use three of them for a roll around storage cart and installation jig for my Hannigan sidecar.

What I want is one of those HF motorcycle wheel spinner thingeys that you can use to clean wheels etc. Looks kind of like a tiny dyno with nothing hooked to it.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 12 Old May 17th, 2011, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
What I want is one of those HF motorcycle wheel spinner thingeys that you can use to clean wheels etc. Looks kind of like a tiny dyno with nothing hooked to it.

Loren
I believe these are on sale now. I was just in there yesterday to buy the motorcycle chocks/stands. Print the 20% coupon off and they should be around 20 bucks. That is if you have a Harbor Freight near you. I have one 5 minutes from the house.

I have had mixed results with the stuff I buy from there. On a side note, I did help a guy build an airplane with a pneumatic pop rivet gun from there. He gets teased a bit for it, but the plane is done and it looks good.

Here is the link to the coupon.
http://i56.tinypic.com/vynqxk.jpg

Mike
In the frozen tundra
2003 Impala Brown LT

2001 Suzuki RM250
2000 FZR1000
1984 Honda Sabre
1984 KDX 200

Last edited by lstinthot; May 17th, 2011 at 9:04 am.
post #9 of 12 Old May 17th, 2011, 3:46 pm

Quote:
The 4x8 Folding utility trailer - No structural or mechanical problems with it (yet), but the bright red paint faded to a very weathered pink in less than a year. I imagine it's only a matter of time before seals start to fail and the frame starts to rust.
Mine has about five years and thousands of miles on it. Might be time to do a bearing and seal service, but I keep forgetting. Still works great. Still ugly as ever, and pink.

I've been extremely pleased with their aluminum bar clamps, and find the generic thin clamps to work alright for their intended purpose. Their parallel clamps are on par with my Bessey and Jet parallel clamps.

All of the air tools I have from HF have been great. Impact driver, die grinder, drill, sander, stapler, nailer, etc. The sander seems to use more air than my friend's high-end one, but it was literally one tenth the cost, and I have a true 5HP compressor that can keep up.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #10 of 12 Old May 17th, 2011, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Mike

I have a Harbor Freight near me so I'm going to check this dolly out. Like most on here I've used many of their items without any problems.

I appreciate all the feedback!

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstinthot
I believe these are on sale now. I was just in there yesterday to buy the motorcycle chocks/stands. Print the 20% coupon off and they should be around 20 bucks. That is if you have a Harbor Freight near you. I have one 5 minutes from the house.

I have had mixed results with the stuff I buy from there. On a side note, I did help a guy build an airplane with a pneumatic pop rivet gun from there. He gets teased a bit for it, but the plane is done and it looks good.

post #11 of 12 Old May 18th, 2011, 1:17 am

Thanks for the tip mike. I'm off to HF in the morning!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstinthot

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 12 Old May 21st, 2011, 12:02 am

SoCal,

I have the harbor freight motorcycle dolly and I park my 2000 LT on it every day. It works great and I can move my LT into and out of the area I park my bike in. I have a 2 car garage but with the wifes car and bikes from 3 kids along with all the other stuff, it gets a little cramped to say the least. I have no complaints and with a 20% off coupon, I probably paid well less than $50.00. More than worth it. It's been 2 years and it looks and works as new. Seems everything else is made in China now a days so who cares about this one. Pay more if you want but why?

john

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in