Flat Rear Tire......No big Deal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 16th, 2011, 2:27 pm Thread Starter

Flat Rear Tire......No big Deal

Saturday I hit something on the road that punctured my rear tire while crossing a bridge. Coming off the bridge, The bike wobbled a little, but I thought it was a cross wind (common in that area). Now when I recieved the puncture I was moving at about 40 mph. At the bottom of the bridge I was at about 60 mph. Still not sure that anything was wrong I continued on maintaining 60 mph. On the curves (gentle 55mph curves), the bike was resistant to turn but managed just fine. This told me there was an issue but I was only a couple miles from home. After a couple more curves I was sure a tire was going down, so I wanted to get it home. Getting home I found there was 0 air in the tire and I had been running on a flat. The sidewall did not give at all so there was no loss of control and I even was able to put it on the sidestand and then up on the center stand. This was a huge surprise because on previous bikes if I had a quick flat it was a matter of getting control and not crashing before getting stopped. This instance was like running on a run flat. I have always been a Metzler user and am now more than ever. I assume this is the reason for the extra reinfored ME880 BMW recommends on this bike. I will never complain of the cost again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 16th, 2011, 2:52 pm

Re: Flat Rear Tire......No big Deal

On a west coast trip two years back I took nails in my front and rear Metzeler z6s in separate incidents and found the same thing to be true. The bike's handling started getting a bit sloppy and I pulled over to check it out. I was going 60+ in Stevens Pass, WA (front) but it was uneventful, as was the rear blow out near Buffalo, WY.

I wouldn't think this would be brand specific behavior, however.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old May 16th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Glad to hear you didn't go down, just another testimonial to this great machine.

Clayton
2003 K1200LTE 128k miles and counting
1999 GL1500A
2009 R1200GSA

post #4 of 6 Old May 16th, 2011, 10:46 pm
WAL

Cool Re: Flat Rear Tire......No big Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheradan
Saturday I hit something on the road that punctured my rear tire while crossing a bridge. Coming off the bridge, The bike wobbled a little, but I thought it was a cross wind (common in that area). Now when I recieved the puncture I was moving at about 40 mph. At the bottom of the bridge I was at about 60 mph. Still not sure that anything was wrong I continued on maintaining 60 mph. On the curves (gentle 55mph curves), the bike was resistant to turn but managed just fine. This told me there was an issue but I was only a couple miles from home. After a couple more curves I was sure a tire was going down, so I wanted to get it home. Getting home I found there was 0 air in the tire and I had been running on a flat. The sidewall did not give at all so there was no loss of control and I even was able to put it on the sidestand and then up on the center stand. This was a huge surprise because on previous bikes if I had a quick flat it was a matter of getting control and not crashing before getting stopped. This instance was like running on a run flat. I have always been a Metzler user and am now more than ever. I assume this is the reason for the extra reinfored ME880 BMW recommends on this bike. I will never complain of the cost again.

I had similiar experience but was traveling at around 100 mph down a 2 lane streach of road through a very flat area of Ohio. I have no idea when the tire lost air pressure as I had been traveling on a straight road and had not been at 100 mph for very long. I did notice when I came upon a semi and pulled out to pass and realized something was not feeling right. I could not pull off the road because there was only a very small shoulder so I saw a closed business with a large parking lot and no cars only problem is it was gravel. I was able to get the bike slowed considerably before entering the lot but was probably still going 30 mph and was afraid to hit the brakes to hard. I got the bike stopped just as I was rolling up into the businesses front lawn. The bike did extremely well at handling. I had not thought about it until I read your post I did have the Metzlers on then and still do run them but have thought about tring something different as I do not feel comfortable on them in the rain but they do seem to last for a fair amount of miles and I do feel that the dry weather handling is very good. I guess you have to compromise one thing for another. Since I do not tend to ride in the rain very often and always ride more cautiously when I am. I guess the Metzlers are a good fit for my riding style. A better wet weather tire can be had but you will most likely give up dry road handling or mileage same goes for a better dry handling tire you will most likely give up mileage and wet weather handling
post #5 of 6 Old May 17th, 2011, 3:40 am
Enjoy The Ride

I rode about a 100 miles on a Bridgestone 020 rear on my LT with no air & other than being a little different in the corners it rode just fine.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #6 of 6 Old May 17th, 2011, 6:09 am
cws

Garage

This is the exact reason I run Ultraseal ( or Slime ) in my tyres....
A smallish puncture should self-seal so you can still ride safely until you decide to get the tyre repaired, or not. I rode out the last 3000km of a Metz with a screw in it and no air loss...
Take it for what you will!
Glad you had a safe ride home!
Cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in