angled valve stems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

angled valve stems

I finally got around to installing the angle vale stem I bought, here's some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve_stem1.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	2399   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve_stem3.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	2400   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve_stem4.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	2401  

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 7:56 pm

Those are great. I would be better at checking my tire pressure with those. Where did ya get em?

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 34 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 8:10 pm

Great job....Have you tried them on the front wheel? I was wondering if they clear the rotors on the front properly?

Thanks,

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383

post #4 of 34 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 8:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Now that's funny. I went to look up the company that makes these valve stems, and they're 2.2 miles from my house. Who knew?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 34 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Honda !

I bought two from the local Honda shop for about 4-5$ each and will get them installed as soon as it's time for new tires. They seem to be rugged enough and are quite small.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 34 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 9:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
I finally got around to installing the angle vale stem I bought, here's some pics
Hey, Tom - question for ya. Did any of the paperwork with the angled valve stem say anythang about only using 'em to fill the tire?? That they aren't for road use??

Reason I ax is; 4 or 5 years ago, I wuz looking for some of those and found two sets by 2 manufacturers, both of which said 'only use for airing up the tires'. I thought that wuz weird, cuz I know several Wing/Valkyrie riders that have 'em on their scoots and they didn't understand why the disclaimer. Then after we got to looking at their units, we noticed that the horizontal portion of the stem wuz in line with the rim; not pointing to the side. AND, that portion of the stem wuz supported by a yoke affair (like a wee leetle slingshot). All we could figger out wuz, that it wuz designed to overcome the centrifugal force generated by the wheel rotation at speed and the yoke took the strain off of the horizontal portion of the stem. Have no idea if we were right or wrong, butt those guyz are still using those stems.

Just wonderin' if maybe there have been upgrades that have eliminated that disclaimer? Thanks, Tom - enjoy checking tire pressures now!!
post #7 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:38 am

I haven't used the stems......I decided against it after reading about incidents where the stems would eventually break the valve stem base because of the centrifugal force over time. I could understand why someone would use a support with them. That's the only way to make them safe that I can see. I'm surprised to see so many LT owners using them. I'd be interested to see a long term results survey on failure rates....????

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

post #8 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 2:29 am
REO

Angled valve stems

My Valkyrie came with the angled valve stems as a stock item. Never had a problem with them. Never even heard of anyone having a problem with them either.
post #9 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 5:22 am

Quote:
Tom,
Did you have to cut some of the ridge in the rear rim away to get them to fit. It doesnt look like you did. I have been looking for some (straight ones) that would fit without cutting the rim.
Thanks,

Mike
IBA #433
post #10 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 6:42 am

I know this thread is about the valve stem but what's with all the wheel weights? I've never needed that much to balance a wheel/tire.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #11 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 6:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPNorton
I haven't used the stems......I decided against it after reading about incidents where the stems would eventually break the valve stem base because of the centrifugal force over time. I could understand why someone would use a support with them. That's the only way to make them safe that I can see. I'm surprised to see so many LT owners using them. I'd be interested to see a long term results survey on failure rates....????
I tend to agree. I use an angled pressure gauge instead.

The brass angled stems that BMW makes specifically say that they are not to be left on, they are only an aid for filling the tires. The design is different though, since they are a true 90 degree bend, much longer and don't have any support at the base - they simply screw on to the existing stems.

I think the one's Tom came up with are safe and the bonus is they are all metal...and made in the USA, NOT the People's Republic...

I'm putting some on at my next tire change, the known failures of the BMW OEM rubber stems are spooky.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Mar 7th, 2006 at 6:56 am.
post #12 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 6:57 am

Quote:
Hey Tom, were all those weights needed because of the new stems?

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #13 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 6:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
I know this thread is about the valve stem but what's with all the wheel weights? I've never needed that much to balance a wheel/tire.
Are those really wheel weights? Expecially at that location!! Maybe Tom has a SmarTire system installed - although even that seems unlikely to need that much off-setting weight. Or maybe it's for one of those bicycle-type speedo thangies?

Anyway, you guyz in the bidness may see these types of wheel weights normally, butt Toad never has; we've alwayz had the flat bar-stock type of weights that resemble pewter or lead.

--- I notice that the opposing ?weights? don't have the same profile, fwiw. Also, I looked at MCenterprisesusa. com's website and couldn't find the angled valve stems listed - thought they might have the disclaimer covered there, butt not. However, with Tom's wrenching experience, I'm assuming everythang is a-ok with this item.

Last edited by Dick; Mar 7th, 2006 at 7:25 am. Reason: Nit-pickin'! :)
post #14 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 7:15 am

My Valkyrie had angled valve stems as well. It also had plastic
valve stem "hold"(Honda's word) retainer clips.

I replaced them at 12,000 miles with new tires. The plastic clips had shown
wear from the stem throwing out against them.

I have heard of people having failures with the clips missing. (Gold Wing Magazine)

You had to support the stem or you could break the clip especially getting
brittle over time.

Don't mean to be an alarmist just be aware. Here's a link showing
Hondas part.

http://www.hondaonlineparts.com/showView.asp?pid=1987&prd=Valkyrie|GL1500CT-Valkyrie%20Tourer|1998

Larry Rusnak
Wadsworth, Ohio
2002 K1200LTC Pacific Blue
post #15 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 7:45 am

Although listed as a Connie part, you might want to call this guy and see what he has:

http://www.murphskits.com/vs.htm

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #16 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 7:46 am

Quote:
I told Tom that he shouldn't set his beer on the wheel when he's balancing it...but he won't listen to me!

post #17 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Those are great. I would be better at checking my tire pressure with those. Where did ya get em?
I picked them up at my local indy V-twin shop my friend owns, the website is on the package in the pics though

Tom

post #18 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
Great job....Have you tried them on the front wheel? I was wondering if they clear the rotors on the front properly?

Thanks,

Ron

no I havn;t done the front yet as I don;t need a front tire right now, but it looks like it will clear I'll know in a month or so <g>

Tom

post #19 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Now that's funny. I went to look up the company that makes these valve stems, and they're 2.2 miles from my house. Who knew?
HAHAHAHAHa, havn't put it on the front yet, I don't need a front tire for about a month

Tom

post #20 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Tom - question for ya. Did any of the paperwork with the angled valve stem say anythang about only using 'em to fill the tire?? That they aren't for road use??
No, and I sure hope not as they bolt to the wheel from inside the rim, these are not add on angled valve stems, they are actually the complete valve stem the nut just happens to be inside the tire, i cut off the extra red lock tighted the nut and pin punched the edges to be sure they don't loosen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve_stem5.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	2420  

Tom

post #21 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjac
Tom,
Did you have to cut some of the ridge in the rear rim away to get them to fit. It doesnt look like you did. I have been looking for some (straight ones) that would fit without cutting the rim.
Thanks,

No I did not, it fit tight and perfectly

Tom

post #22 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Hey Tom, were all those weights needed because of the new stems?
actually no, they were on the wheel already from the last tire, when I balanced it I was shocked to see it was spot on without removing oir changing the weights,

Keep in mind though my wheel was balanced without a tire so I set it up for the heavy side of the wheel, since then I have never had to move a weight when replacing with the same brand tire it alway;s just balances right off the get go

Tom

post #23 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I told Tom that he shouldn't set his beer on the wheel when he's balancing it...but he won't listen to me!

Sh** I forgot and it was Jack not beer! <g>

Tom

post #24 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:29 am

Quote:
Sh** I forgot and it was Jack not beer! <g>
You mean you let Nicholas help you?!?!
post #25 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:35 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
You mean you let Nicholas help you?!?!

No the tire would have to been done OFF ROAD then!

<g>

Tom

post #26 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REO
My Valkyrie came with the angled valve stems as a stock item. Never had a problem with them. Never even heard of anyone having a problem with them either.

in the 30yrs or so I've been into motorcycling the only ones I have seen break off are the ones that mount to a rubber stem.
These are metal all the way through the wheel, and it will get a good testing this week at about 80-85 mph for around 1300 miles.

If your worried about valve stems breaking, the smarter thing would to be either,

1) not ride a bike, cause we had the factory rubber stem
break at about 90mph on the front not long ago.

2) just run a steel straight stem and pray you never have a blowout from somthing else

3) turn the angle forward so the rotation of the wheel would have less impact on the strength of the stem and somthing else could cause a blowout

(insert humoring remark here <g>)

All kidding aside, there is always a reason I test something out on my bike, once I'm satisfied they will work out good, I will change out the striaght steel ones on the wifes bike to these

Tom

Tom

post #27 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I tend to agree. I use an angled pressure gauge instead.

The brass angled stems that BMW makes specifically say that they are not to be left on, they are only an aid for filling the tires. The design is different though, since they are a true 90 degree bend, much longer and don't have any support at the base - they simply screw on to the existing stems.

I think the one's Tom came up with are safe and the bonus is they are all metal...and made in the USA, NOT the People's Republic...

I'm putting some on at my next tire change, the known failures of the BMW OEM rubber stems are spooky.
Hi Ron, I will let you know if I see any issues regarding these stems ok
yes they are all metal not the tyupe that screw on to a rubber stem, and they seem to be pretty healthy material as well, I actually grabbed one with pliers and gave it a pretty good bend test, shit you ain't bending these easily at all! if I didn;t throw it away I will post a pic of it, but I cleaned the garage yesterday soooooo.......

Tom

Tom

post #28 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 8:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
It was done for convience, the wheel is actually balanced, then tire installed, since then I have not had to balance the same brand tire, I alway;s check it and they balance saves a ton of time

Tom

Tom

post #29 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 9:47 am

Anyone looking for these can go to page 967 from the following link to the Tucker Rocky Street catalog and look in the lower right corner. MC Enterprises with a Tucker part # of 59-6945. Almost all motorcycle shops are dealers for Tucker Rocky and should be able to get them for you.

http://www.powersportrider.com/cgi-bin/zcatjpg

HTH,

Ron

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #30 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:01 am

Probably safer than OEM rubber jobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPNorton
That might be a concern, however the same thing would hold true for car wheels, wouldn't it, (reduced wheel radius notwithstanding)? I've never seen a car wheel where the stem is perpendicular to the road. You don't see legions of cars stranded on the roadside because of failed valve stems.

Granted, most shops change the stems every tire change. Maybe these angled stems should be replaced every 50K miles or so. They're cheap enough.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #31 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 2:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
Anyone looking for these can go to page 967 from the following link to the Tucker Rocky Street catalog and look in the lower right corner. MC Enterprises with a Tucker part # of 59-6945. Almost all motorcycle shops are dealers for Tucker Rocky and should be able to get them for you.

http://www.powersportrider.com/cgi-bin/zcatjpg

HTH,

Ron
Another good source is PatchBoy.com ).99 each for the angled stems.
http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/mercha...gory_Code=VS-1
I've used these on several bikes. The only downside is their shipping charges. I would order about 5 more angled valve stems but the shipping is almost as much as the merchandise.

Mick
Tucson
"Old and Slow" Sorta
post #32 of 34 Old Mar 7th, 2006, 4:23 pm

WARNING using angled stem *with* Tire Pressure Caps.

I had angled steel valve stems on my front tire a few years ago. I did not have any trouble with them UNTIL I put those Tire Pressure Caps: http://www.anythingtruck.com/commercial/tire_valve_caps.html
on my tires just before a Border to Border Insanity ride. Luckily, I checked my tires and noticed that because of the angled stem, the Tire Pressure Caps were rubbing on the brake discs and had melted/sheared down.If, just a silly little millimeter more would have sheared off, the front tire could have had a sudden loss of air. I removed the Tire Pressure Caps and gladly replaced them with the basic stock screw on caps. I now have Smart Tire monitoring system and I really like that system. No more crawling around checking tire pressures.
post #33 of 34 Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:50 am

Truck Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkramer
I've never seen a car wheel where the stem is perpendicular to the road.
That is a really good point. Consider Semi-Trucks. On the Duals, the valve stem is parallel to the ground, and about 4-5" long. Little bigger tires, but still...

Dually pickups would have the same setup.

Regards,
Larry

'99 K1200LT

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
post #34 of 34 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 7:15 am Thread Starter

Update on /Stem

Quote:
Ok I have just over 1500 miles on it and I know that is not much but so far not a propblem, and it does make it nice to fill the tire with air!

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in