vibration, bad - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

vibration, bad

Road 1250 miles this weekend. Needed a front tire when I left, but I had to order one. Front was cupping, however at speed I have a bad vibration. I do not think it do to the cupping. U-joints? any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 2:18 pm

If you're feeling the vibration in the bars it may be the tire. But if it's in the seat of your pants then it could be coming from anywhere, engine, back tire, driveline.

you might try putting the bike on the center stand then with the rear tire off the ground you can start it up and spin the tire in first gear and visually check to see if there are any inconsistencies in the tire surface.... kind of a visual run-out kind of test..

The shut off the bike and weigh the back end down and spin the front tire and do the same visual check... should at least let you know if you're tires are fairly round...

Is the vibration accompanied by any noise?????

Spence

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 5:32 pm

I would never even begin troubleshooting a vibration issue as long as you have a known bad tire. Get the tire replaced, then go from there. Might even be that the wheel is out of balance...and that will be remedied with the balancing of the new tire.

The only thing I might try is to roll down the road at about 60mph, put the bike in neutral and shut her down. I might even do this without a helmet on so I could hear better. I have a stretch of road near me where this isn't too risky. You may not be so fortunate.

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 5:47 pm

ck first

Man make sure there is no play in that rear end. I have vibrations from a worn back tire sometimes but not a speed vibration.
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 5:52 pm

Wink vibration,bad

Oh Yeah, remember when you shut her down doing sixty that , depending on the year model, you probably will loose the servo assist to your brakes. Just a little disclaimer to chew on.

I would definitely replace the tire before worrying about the vibration as it's likely to go away with the old tire.

BuddyP
"The Carolinas"
2003 LTC "Black Beauty"
aka "Tha Motha Ship"
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 4:40 am Thread Starter

I am thinking it may be something with the rear end. I spin the wheel and hear/feel something hitting. Not the brake pads touching noise. I am thinking that is bad.

I have done the neutal thing, coasting, etc....... The vibration is when the motor is under power. It shakes the whole motorcycle. I am taking the motorcycle to the shop to day. Front tire, vibration, headlight and mirror. I will post later for up date.
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 6:58 am

Whoa... Without seeing/hearing for myself, seems like it's the infamous delaminating rear Bridgestone BT020. At least, let's hope it's only the rear tire. Is the tire hitting the swing arm maybe? This would definitely explain the vibration.
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Nope no tire hitting the swing arm. So we do not like the brigdestone? Just order a new front bridgestone.
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 1:06 pm

The Bridgestone is still the first choice of a lot of us. There is currently a quality issue but I'm not changing to another brand just yet. Bridgestone has been good about replacing bad tires.
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 3:16 pm

And how would one go about getting reimbursed for their delaminated rear radial Bridgestone?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in