K1200RS - Cruise control troubleshooting tutorial - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CruisinDownUnder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 2nd, 2011, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

K1200RS - Cruise control troubleshooting tutorial

After having found many tips about the cruise control system of the K1200RS (here and on I-bmw.com), I taught that it would be useful to make a video tutorial to help other owners. Most video clips and pictures were done with a K1200RS, but 95% of the tips are also applicable to the K1200LT, including the "diagnostic procedure".

It was also the perfect excuse to make a real project while learning about my new video editing software (Sony Vegas).

See this link on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/2ov3-jdII6A?hd=1

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Let me know what you think of this tutorial in video format.

P.S.: Although I was convinced that Video was the best medium to convey all the information I had in mind, I am well aware that it is not the best way to keep this info available near your toolbox or your shop manual.

To compensate for this, I have attached a text summary (in PDF format) with this message.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200_CruiseConrol_troubleshooting(version 1-3).pdf (362.3 KB, 1637 views)

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by Admin; Mar 26th, 2013 at 4:15 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 2nd, 2011, 8:48 pm

Re: K1200RS - Cruise control troubleshooting tutorial

Thank you very much!
I just started having cruise control issues- won't turn on, and I am one of the folks whose brain benefits more from seeing video.

2003 Silver K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old May 15th, 2011, 10:20 pm

What is the problem if light doesn`t come on in step 1????

post #4 of 17 Old May 16th, 2011, 7:52 am Thread Starter

Reply to question from BIKEFALCON:

If the RED telltale light on the handlebar control does not show, you either have:
- burned fuse
- defective switch on the handlebar -or- a bad contact in the switch
- you battery is dead (I guess you would know ...)
- the cruise control unit connector is not seated (not very probable)

If RED is visible but the YELLOW SET light is not working
- the light (in the dash) might be burned or connector loose

NOTE: I am more familiar with the K1200RS, so someone from the K1200LT community might have knowledge that is specific to the k1200LT.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 5th, 2011, 10:13 am

i have gone through the 10 step procedure many times and I make it to step 8 (hold brake pedal down for at least 5 sec release , but light only comes on for about 2 sec and goes off) but all through this test I have no red light on my switch but it still goes through the test normally until step 8
post #6 of 17 Old Jul 5th, 2011, 9:53 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: K1200RS - Cruise control troubleshooting tutorial

Just my 2c worth.
From day one at the dealer my red diode in the handle bar switch has never worked. Dealer said they would replace but after finding out what that involved I said no thanks. The yellow set light is more than enough and I never leave my cruise switch set to on unless I'm actually using it. Figured the factory mech's would have put things together better than any dealer. Functioned fine in every other respect and still does. Don't sweat the little things.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #7 of 17 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 11:06 pm

Will this procedure help me. My cruise works. It just won't resume and it turns off when I touch the windshield adjustment button, blow the horn or dim lights.

2006 K LT1200 Ridin'
2007 K GT1200 Sold
2005 ST 1100 Sold
1985 V65 1000 Magna Sold
1973 CB 750 4 Sold
1966 305 SuperHawk Sold
post #8 of 17 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 2:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt1200
Will this procedure help me. My cruise works. It just won't resume and it turns off when I touch the windshield adjustment button, blow the horn or dim lights.
I have opened 4 of these switch-assy (left side combo) and based on my experience and your symptoms, I would say (90% sure) that you will need to either:

1) Replace the switch-assy: an expensive option, as retail is approx. $400. Can often be found on Ebay (used) for much less.

2) Open the switch-assy and insert a washer under the micro-switch that is activated when the cruise-ON/OFF switch (slider) is moved.

The reason for the fix in item 2 above is the bad design that does NOT take in consideration the tolerances and the flex and movement of plastic parts. When the slider ON/OFF switch is moved to the ON position, it compresses a small micro-switch that is sitting in the lower section attached to the handle-bar.

When the top section (black plastic) of the swirch-assy is just a bit too far up, it does not push enough on the micro-switch to make contact – so it behaves as if the switch was OFF. The addition of a washer under the micro-switch will compensate for this over-specs tolerances.

There is a write-up on this forum on how to open the switch (with pictures) and apply this “washer” fix. First time you do this job requires a lot of patience to remove and open the switch assy.
See this thread, about 3/4 down for a post with 9 pictures:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53849

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Last edited by sailor; Mar 23rd, 2013 at 3:22 pm.
post #9 of 17 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 3:51 pm
Super Moderator

I guess after owning 2 LTs for over 10 years all your information was in my head. However
your video and write up is awesome and should be placed in to our Hall of Fame.

As many new owners of LTs find their way to this site I am confident than this video will be
the standard reference material people will be directed to - did I say awesome!!

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #10 of 17 Old Jun 26th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
I guess after owning 2 LTs for over 10 years all your information was in my head. However
your video and write up is awesome and should be placed in to our Hall of Fame.

As many new owners of LTs find their way to this site I am confident than this video will be
the standard reference material people will be directed to - did I say awesome!!
I'll second that!!!

Excellent write up. I plan on printing up a copy of the diagnostic work sheet and putting it in my service manual. Thanks for making this.
post #11 of 17 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
After having found many tips about the cruise control system of the K1200RS (here and on I-bmw.com), I taught that it would be useful to make a video tutorial to help other owners. Most video clips and pictures were done with a K1200RS, but 95% of the tips are also applicable to the K1200LT, including the "diagnostic procedure".

It was also the perfect excuse to make a real project while learning about my new video editing software (Sony Vegas).

See this link on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/2ov3-jdII6A?hd=1

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Let me know what you think of this tutorial in video format.

P.S.: Although I was convinced that Video was the best medium to convey all the information I had in mind, I am well aware that it is not the best way to keep this info available near your toolbox or your shop manual.

To compensate for this, I have attached a text summary (in PDF format) with this message.
Thanks, Jean. As usual precise info that I can use on my '04K12GT. Appreciate your in-depth and step-by-step instructions!
post #12 of 17 Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 5:56 am

add me to those who will thank you. My dealer was avoiding even admitting about the self diagnosis feature. Anyhow, I started straight with the clutch switch and that solved the issue with my cruise control! However the throttle cables needed readjusting as well since there was not much play. And you'd think that if a service calls for throttle play check they would actually do it....
cws likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 6:26 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinDownUnder View Post
And you'd think that if a service calls for throttle play check they would actually do it....
yeah, you'd think.... but that's why it pays to do your own service and read both this and the K-bikes forum

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 17 Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 7:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
add me to those who will thank you. My dealer was avoiding even admitting about the self diagnosis feature. Anyhow, I started straight with the clutch switch and that solved the issue with my cruise control! However the throttle cables needed readjusting as well since there was not much play. And you'd think that if a service calls for throttle play check they would actually do it....
Glad to see that the tutorial is still helpful :-)

These are the reasons that prompted me to do this a few years ago:
1) Appear that dealer charge a lot and send you home with "just come back if cruise is still acting up" (I do not go to dealer but I could see frustration on forum)

2) the static diagnostic procedure was in every K bike forum BUT was often incomplete (like step about 5 seconds in brake pedal).

3) There was a lot of tidbits of info in various post, but no overhaul global reference on how these switches and the system behaved.

4) some of that stuff was difficult to explain in text only in forums. There was a need for pictures and video to really show what was going on (seemed easier to understand for many).

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #15 of 17 Old Mar 5th, 2015, 5:33 am

Well I should add that I did it on the LT and worked well.
Mine is a 2001 with only 78000 Kms (or 48800 miles). I only use it for touring and keeping the wife happy. The cruise just started to act up before the service for the first time. The worst news was the need for a new (well, used) ABS modulator as well and since I have no free garage space I had to get the dealer bill me hard (had the 50000 mile service done as well and a new Metzeler 880 for the back)

Apart from that everything is original on the bike (well except for a few little plastic bits here and there that needed replacement). It even has a functioning tape deck with a CD changer and an obsolete but working navigation system ( that I do not use since there is no updated CDs for it)

and CWS if you are going to the AGM in Albury, have a good time mate!
post #16 of 17 Old Mar 5th, 2015, 6:35 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
and CWS if you are going to the AGM in Albury, have a good time mate!
Thx, but not going... Would love go get away for a ride but not going to happen any time soon...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #17 of 17 Old Aug 13th, 2017, 12:58 am

My cruise control quit today. The set light comes on when I press the set but it doesn't hold speed. I went through the diagnostic procedure and everything checks out fine and all micro switches appear to be working. I suppose it is the cruise control module? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in