Saying Goodbye is Tough - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

Saying Goodbye is Tough

Most women will never understand how most men can get so attached to an inanimate object, such as a motorcycle. So, it was with mixed emotions (mostly sad) as I watched my 05 LT drive away from my home for the last time. We had our adventures in the 53K miles we had together and I had just got her all fixed just the way I wanted (Wilbers, custom seat, windshield, etc) when I stopped riding her. 4500 miles in the last 3 1/2 years is why I sold it. A personal situation arose dealing with a relative's eldercare put an end to Sweetie and myself taking long vacations and long weekend together. (Sweetie is my pillion not the bike. I never named the bike.)

Maybe circumstances will arise in the future which will allow us the joy of touring again. I will keep visiting the forum as I want to see how the new K1600's are doing.

I want to thank the members of this forum for all the help and wisdom I have gained from them over the almost 6 years I had the LT. I had a lot to learn, as I had only had Harleys until I bought this bike. This forum is a generous bunch and I have had the opportunity to meet a few on the road or at rallys. A special thanks to Pastor Jack for all his help. A class act if there ever was one.

Yall be safe out there and have fun.

Ultra LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 4:35 pm

Re: Saying Goodbye is Tough

One never knows the curve's life will throw at us, sorry one has prevented you from doing something you enjoy. Hopefully circumstances in the future will allow you to ride again. In the mean time, I am sure others will agree, you are always welcome here.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547

Last edited by Gizmo1137; Apr 21st, 2011 at 4:36 pm. Reason: Spelling
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 5:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Best of luck, Ultra. Like Gizmo said, you are always welcome here. Take care.

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 6:45 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I'll bet you kept your custom license plate for the good memories .

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 10:31 pm

Ultra,
I know it's tough to see the LT go....great trips and memories for certain....

You still have your R1200R, right? Hope you check in every now and again!

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 7:15 am

I purchased my LT when it was just over a year old. It is an 06 that the original owner purchased new in December of 06. I have had it for three years now. I still remember seeing him in the driveway watching me pull away, he was not a happy man. I felt bad for him. At the time I had just sold a jeep I had for 8 years that I had built for rack crawling, so I understood how he felt, I must have looked the same way watching it leave. His wife was no help telling him he still had his 80's siverwing to ride. You are right, they do not understand.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

post #7 of 9 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 7:24 am

Hey hey hey! Just a minute here! I have an '81 SilverWing! Funny thing though. I can't remember the last time I rode it. I sent it home with my son in law a while back so it isn't all that handy to ride.

Ultra, there is a special place in heaven for those who dedicate a portion of their life to caring for a loved one with special needs. You are to be commended for your dedication and the sacrifices you have made.

Maybe there is a 1600 in your future.

Respectfully,

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_free
I purchased my LT when it was just over a year old. It is an 06 that the original owner purchased new in December of 06. I have had it for three years now. I still remember seeing him in the driveway watching me pull away, he was not a happy man. I felt bad for him. At the time I had just sold a jeep I had for 8 years that I had built for rack crawling, so I understood how he felt, I must have looked the same way watching it leave. His wife was no help telling him he still had his 80's siverwing to ride. You are right, they do not understand.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 10:49 am

Ultra,

Sorry ya had to let go of the bike. I don;t get to ride much anymore, and often think of selling mine. BUt it costs little to sit in the garage for when I do get to go. This year, may only be riding to work to keep the fluids circulating.

Hope the personal situation works out.

Randy
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
Most women will never understand how most men can get so attached to an inanimate object, such as a motorcycle. So, it was with mixed emotions (mostly sad) as I watched my 05 LT drive away from my home for the last time. We had our adventures in the 53K miles we had together and I had just got her all fixed just the way I wanted (Wilbers, custom seat, windshield, etc) when I stopped riding her. 4500 miles in the last 3 1/2 years is why I sold it. A personal situation arose dealing with a relative's eldercare put an end to Sweetie and myself taking long vacations and long weekend together. (Sweetie is my pillion not the bike. I never named the bike.)

Maybe circumstances will arise in the future which will allow us the joy of touring again. I will keep visiting the forum as I want to see how the new K1600's are doing.

I want to thank the members of this forum for all the help and wisdom I have gained from them over the almost 6 years I had the LT. I had a lot to learn, as I had only had Harleys until I bought this bike. This forum is a generous bunch and I have had the opportunity to meet a few on the road or at rallys. A special thanks to Pastor Jack for all his help. A class act if there ever was one.

Yall be safe out there and have fun.

Ultra LT

I also had say goodbye a month ago. Goodbye to my 2002 LT. There are trips that will also be huge in my memories. Certainly, one of these days....a few years down the road, I will purchase again. Heck....by that time, maybe I can find a lightly used 1600 for about $10k.

Anyway, long rides and touring aren't happening at this time and I have opted for a VStrom Dual Sport and a XR650R....dirt screamer. Those two bikes should carry me into my 50's.

I will also stay on the board, as I will have need of info from time to time. Seems my garage has become a bit popular lately. For instance....I am helping a guy on Saturday with his front brakes on his LT.

Anyway.....cheers!!!

John

2007 Adv Equipped VStrom
1988 Honda NX650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in