Info needed on highway pegs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Info needed on highway pegs

I have done a search on these, and this looks like what I want:

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...&products_id=5

I was just wondering if anyone had these, and how hard are they to put on. I have the regular J pegs, but don't care much for them, I like to stretch my feet out when I ride, and this does look like what I need, but just wondering, do I have to remove my j pegs that I have, or do they mount to them, or are they that hard to put on. Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 2:45 pm

Re: Info needed on highway pegs

These will not work in conjuction with your J-pegs, you can use one or the other. I used these a few years back and they will bend your tip over bars if you drop your bike. The J-Peg XL's will extend your legs considerably more than the standard model J-Pegs but you need at least a 31" inseam to use them.

2005 K1200LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 2:53 pm

I suggest you take a look at Mick-O-Pegs.

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic

post #4 of 21 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorock
These will not work in conjuction with your J-pegs, you can use one or the other. I used these a few years back and they will bend your tip over bars if you drop your bike. The J-Peg XL's will extend your legs considerably more than the standard model J-Pegs but you need at least a 31" inseam to use them.

Ok, that is good to know, but how do you mount them on, do you have to take your j pegs off. How long does it take. I'm on a limited budget, and don't know if I can afford the xl j pegs. Thanks.
post #5 of 21 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 2:57 pm

Mick-O-Pegs have a version you can buy that will mount to your jpegs. That is what I have on my bike. I know use the mick-o-pegs 95% of the time. They are an easy install.

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #6 of 21 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldone
Mick-O-Pegs have a version you can buy that will mount to your jpegs. That is what I have on my bike. I know use the mick-o-pegs 95% of the time. They are an easy install.
How much do they cost, and do you have a link to them. If they are the ones I have looked at, there about $300.00 for them.
post #7 of 21 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

I've been looking also at highway ottomans. Does anyone have them that like them, and if so do you have any idea what they cost or where I could get them. Thanks.
post #8 of 21 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 8:57 pm

I have a set of those BB K1200LT Highway Pegs, they came on my 99 K 1200 Lt when I bought it. They have some scratches and normal signs of wear. Took them off and I'll sell them real cheap $30 plus shipping. Send me a PM anyone interested.
Glen
post #9 of 21 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_go
I have a set of those BB K1200LT Highway Pegs, they came on my 99 K 1200 Lt when I bought it. They have some scratches and normal signs of wear. Took them off and I'll sell them real cheap $30 plus shipping. Send me a PM anyone interested.
Glen
PM sent
post #10 of 21 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 11:05 pm

Garage

Does your tip over wings have floor lights?
Right now I do not have any highway pegs but I was waiting to see which style I wanted just like you. Some say depending on the peg a fall, oops I meant tip over, could do severe damage to the engine which the wings are suppose to protect. Also I have floor lights on my LT so I would not want to obscure their effectiveness. One thing I have not seen addressed and I don't know that it is rare is being hit by gravel or small debris on the shin (between boot and knee cap) when legs are extended on MOP's or Ottomans.
ride safe
post #11 of 21 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 11:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Right now I do not have any highway pegs but I was waiting to see which style I wanted just like you. Some say depending on the peg a fall, oops I meant tip over, could do severe damage to the engine which the wings are suppose to protect. Also I have floor lights on my LT so I would not want to obscure their effectiveness. One thing I have not seen addressed and I don't know that it is rare is being hit by gravel or small debris on the shin (between boot and knee cap) when legs are extended on MOP's or Ottomans.
ride safe
I don't have the lights you are talking about. But I will say, I had highway pegs on my last bike, and really enjoyed them. I never had a problem with any gravel hitting me or anything like that. I enjoyed to comfort.
post #12 of 21 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 6:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
ride safe

I have the floor lights and have MOP's. The MOP's do not affect the floor lights. I have had no issues with anything hitting my legs either. The one downside to the MOP's is that you can not use them in the twisties, however your feet should be on the pegs there anyway.

The MOP's take a little getting used to if you have had the normal "stick my feet the air and spread my legs" type of highway pegs in the past. At first I wasn't sure I liked them, but now they are great.

Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 7:20 am

I installed the Highway pegs on mine and they work well for stretching your leg's out. simple and cheap solution to leg cramps.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #14 of 21 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeeman
I've been looking also at highway ottomans. Does anyone have them that like them, and if so do you have any idea what they cost or where I could get them. Thanks.

There is a set in the Classified section.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #15 of 21 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 9:54 am

i have a set of those exact pegs in pretty much perfect shape & i have a set of the tip over bar covers already cut out for them i will include 80$ that way you dont have to cut yours
post #16 of 21 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 3:01 pm

I have just joined this forum and bought a LT last August. It has highway pegs that are hinged and spring loaded under the wings. Does anyone know who makes them and how to contact them? The cap is missing off the end of one peg and I would like to replace it.
post #17 of 21 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 6:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldone
I suggest you take a look at Mick-O-Pegs.
Those are about the ugliest addition you could put on an LT, or any other bike for that matter...

post #18 of 21 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 7:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsanfor
I have just joined this forum and bought a LT last August. It has highway pegs that are hinged and spring loaded under the wings. Does anyone know who makes them and how to contact them? The cap is missing off the end of one peg and I would like to replace it.
I think that Mick-O-Pegs are the only spring loaded highway pegs on the market. Do these look like what you have? www.ridingiswonderful.com/id46.html

When you're comfortable...Riding Is Wonderful

Joyfully, MOPMan (Jim Mick)
post #19 of 21 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 7:42 am
cws

Garage

Re MOPS, whether you think they are an ugly addition or not, for function to suit a purpose they are one of the best additions for long-distance travelling I've bought, and I'm a third through a 16,000km trip.

Jim, I'm glad I bought them, would have been much tougher on the long dead-straight sections without them ( longest 90 miles no bends! )
I'm even surprised how much lean I can get before I feel a slight scrape on the heel of my boot, so lift the foot a touch and all is good. Of course you dont use them in real bends though, but gentle highway curves no problem.

I thought they were pricey too, but they are well engineered and do the job you need. Can't begrudge some good engineering.

My 2c, which suprisingly these days is 2 & a bit US cents!
Cheers ( from somewhere in Oz....)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #20 of 21 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 8:30 am

Garage

MOPs + Jpegs+ stock foot pegs = many hours of cramp free riding!

I am a huge fan of MOPs.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #21 of 21 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeeman
I have done a search on these, and this looks like what I want:
http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/produ...&products_id=5 I was just wondering if anyone had these, and how hard are they to put on. I have the regular J pegs, but don't care much for them, I like to stretch my feet out when I ride, and this does look like what I need, but just wondering, do I have to remove my j pegs that I have, or do they mount to them, or are they that hard to put on. Thanks in advance...
Those look like the ones I bought at Bob's BMW years ago. They were easy to put on. I like to stretch my short 30" inseam legs out, so placed them closer to the seat so I could rest the back of my calf on them. They work well.

Dave - NH Seacoast
RT-NH1; AMA; MVTR; NETRA;
'02 R1150RT-P; '01 R12C Montana; '07 KLR650; '00 KDX200;
Gone, not forgotten: '05 450EXC; '99 K12LTC; '94 KDX250; '92 R100GS; '77 R75/7; a few others...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in