Puffs of smoke on start up - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Puffs of smoke on start up

I have recently seen a rather large puff of smoke coming from around the engine area when I start the bike. It only happens when is has been sitting on the kickstand for several hours. When I have it parked on the center stand it is fine. It is a 2006 with close to 22k on it. It runs fine otherwise. I do not see any leakage anywhere either.

It happens immediately when the bike is started. The first time I thought great, I just fried some electrical wiring. Everything still works, and it has happened several time since.

Has anyone else seen this occur?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 12:36 pm

Re: Puffs of smoke on start up

Nope Never........

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 12:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Check similar threads below. . . . not an issue.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

Just checked the similar threads. I guess I can stop sweating now. Thanks!
post #5 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 1:06 pm

Worry makes you age faster !! We all been there done that. Stop the engine while in the vertical position and wait a few before letting it down on the side stand. Next start should be smoke free.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #6 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 3:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcporter
I have recently seen a rather large puff of smoke coming from around the engine area when I start the bike. It only happens when is has been sitting on the kickstand for several hours. When I have it parked on the center stand it is fine. It is a 2006 with close to 22k on it. It runs fine otherwise. I do not see any leakage anywhere either.

It happens immediately when the bike is started. The first time I thought great, I just fried some electrical wiring. Everything still works, and it has happened several time since.

Howdo..

It's just one of the LT's little querky traits mine does exactly the same on the sidestand but not on its main stand

PmC
post #7 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 3:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Puffs of smoke on start up?
You must have bought a bike with a K engine! LOL
What were the BMW engineers thinking when they designed a bike engine with heads on the left side???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 4:44 pm

That's the Harley feature that BMW added.
post #9 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 7:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

If the smoke comes out the exhaust, then nothing to worry about. But I am not sure how to interpret "around the engine area." Do you mean from around the engine itself from under the fairing? That would not be normal and would suggest that there is a leak in the valve cover or some other place that is letting oil get into the exhaust header and then burning off on start-up.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 8:38 pm

That's what I was going to say......

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #11 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 9:14 pm

Any chance your overfull on your engine oil?
post #12 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 9:55 pm

Mine puffs too when I don't let the oil drain back into the pan for a few moments before leaning over on the left side kick stand. The first time or two I was also worried but now understand its just a little oil seeping by the pistons on the left side. If anything else, that little bit of oil provides some lubrication at the initial startup and stops the pistons from starting on dry cylinders. Who knows, maybe it was a design meant to provide a better protected start-up.

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
post #13 of 28 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 10:41 pm

Garage

I was told that once by my riding buddy.
I have never actually seen the smoke but my pipe was covered in soot. Well I cleaned it and now I keep an eye on the exhaust after every ride and intend to nip it in the bud at the earliest sighting. I keep mine on the CS except for gasing up. I used the side stand a few times because of the wind. . .too windy. From all I have read on this forum a puff of smoke is not a big worry. Just keep that chrome shining.
ride safe
post #14 of 28 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 8:57 am

i might suggest if it is comeing from the engine area.you might want to check the exaust manifold flange nuts & with the lower body panel off you will be able to check for a valve cover leak also
post #15 of 28 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Puffs of smoke on start up?
You must have bought a bike with a K engine! LOL
What were the BMW engineers thinking when they designed a bike engine with heads on the left side???

BMW can fix this by simply moving the sidestand to the right side.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #16 of 28 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 10:45 am

[QUOTE= Don't worry mine dose it to, From eating tham darn harlys got to shit something out.
post #17 of 28 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:12 am

I've noticed this happens once in a while, especially if the bike has been sitting for a week or so or for longer periods on the stand stand. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Tom Talleur
Coastal Georgia
IBA # 30573

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red with Unigo
2005 R1200 RT Red

2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM (Radisson Santa Fe)
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN (Park Vista Resort)
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO (Beaver Run Resort)
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY (Grand Teton National Park)
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA (Chateau Elan and Winery)
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD (Ramkota Hotel)
post #18 of 28 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgeman
Don't worry mine dose it to, From eating tham darn harlys got to shit something out.
You should not let your LT eat junk food. That is not a healthy diet.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #19 of 28 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 1:19 pm

No worries she's just marking her territory

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #20 of 28 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 2:26 pm

I was told it's a design feature to let your Harley riding buddies know you had started your bike.

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654
post #21 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2012, 7:27 am
ian

Quote:

I have owned my LT from new for 8 years now and while i am quite familiar with the smoke from the exhaust after the bike has been standing on its sidestand I too aged considerably when a puff of smoke was emitted for the first time from the left hand side of the engine bay after start up. As a follow up on this thread does anyone have anything to add and where exactly could the smoke be emitted from?
post #22 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2012, 7:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian
I have owned my LT from new for 8 years now and while i am quite familiar with the smoke from the exhaust after the bike has been standing on its sidestand I too aged considerably when a puff of smoke was emitted for the first time from the left hand side of the engine bay after start up. As a follow up on this thread does anyone have anything to add and where exactly could the smoke be emitted from?
Hopefully this will answer your question. From using the SEARCH function on this site, I picked the first post that looked relevant, and found this quote...
"Most K- engines (flying bricks) do that.
When on the kick stand the pistons are on the low side and oil can get past the piston rings. Just a few drops can create quite a show. My old K100 was broke in right and did not do that. My LT does it sometimes, less frequently than it used to. Some report if you hold the bike up for a moment after you shut off the engine, and give a chance for the oil to settle, then put it on the kick stand you'll get less or no smoke."

Once you start to use the search function, you could be at your computer for hours, because you want to be, not because it's hard. The wealth of detailed information here is unmatched by any other forum of this type.

Welcome, and enjoy.

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love
2001 K1200LT Champagne (Roxy)

Previous loves...
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red (Suzie Q)
1986 Honda Interceptor Black (Weezy)
1999 K1200LT Graphite (Grey Goose)
post #23 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2012, 7:51 am

Please update your profile.

"You can tell more about a person by what he says about others than you can by what others say about him."
Leo Aikman

Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Current Love

Previous loves...
post #24 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2012, 8:08 am
ian

Cochinosucio I am well aware of the vast opportunities that await me on the site and in fact it was only by surfing the site that I found this question was already posted hence added to it rather than a new post! In fact in my 6 years of being a member of this site I have not found it necessary to post as a search usually revealed many answers to any questions I may have had.
What i was really looking for is perhaps some further feedback from the likes of pcporter who originally posted the question some time ago but if you or anyone can find and actual answer to my question and copy and paste it I would be most grateful.
Seemingly many of us are aware of the smoke emitted from the exhaust after the bike has been on the sidestand but what is most intriguing and indeed a worry is the smoke emitted from the engine bay.
post #25 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2012, 8:14 am

New edited version, with my apologies.

Wow. Enjoy your cornflakes.....

Leo Aikman

Current Love

Previous loves...

Last edited by Cochinosucio; Jun 7th, 2012 at 8:41 am.
post #26 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2012, 12:05 pm

Quote:

I'd like to chime in also about smoke coming somewhere from the engine. When starting from the side stand mine does the same thing as well as coming from the tail pipe. "Maybe" from exhuast pipe to head area but really can't say. I've only had mine for a week so I can't say much about my expertise on the subject.

2002 BMW K1200 LT.....Bought 6/15/2012
post #27 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2012, 12:29 pm

I still like the story that its a feature to pre-oil the cylinders, The mosquito fog is good too.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #28 of 28 Old Jun 7th, 2012, 2:07 pm

I dunno anything about smoke on startup when parked on the sidestand. I haven't seen it on my bike...but then, it's no longer an LT!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in