New Fender for My '02 LTE - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 1:35 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

New Fender for My '02 LTE

I got tired of fixing the front fender of my '02 LT. It would crack and I would epoxy it and it would crack again. I took it to a body shop and the guy promised his ABS plastic welding and fiberglass reinforcement would be the last repair: FAIL! I thought it was more than a coincidence that there was a thread on the subject a few weeks ago and I read all of the various repairs and all but one I had performed (the pop-rivet and metal reinforcement technique). While picking up some parts for Randi's trike project at BMW Western Oregon Tigard I priced a new style fender from a 2005 to 2009. It wasn't cheap but it was going to be my solution.

The new fender has snap in side supports that screw to the small lugs on the front of the fork tubes. The triangulation and strength are far superior to the pre-'05 fender and its flawed mounting. The purchase was only a start to the expense since my paint gun hadn't been used in 30 years and the metering nozzle was corroded. Rather than buy the parts for the gun I bought a small detail gun at Harbor Freight on sale. Some wet-or-dry sand paper and masking tape and I was on my way to the auto paint supplier.

The local LKQ auto paint folks explained the new urethane paint and process and sold me a rattle can of primer/sealer to start the finish process in the right direction. It pained me to sand on perfectly good paint but it had to be done. I hit the fender with 600 grit paper and a coat of primer then it was off to the base coat. The LKQ guys use a camera to get the color match (you have to love high tech!). I put on three coats of base coat on each piece with the fender in Toscana Green metallic and the side supports in silver. I had to buy the minimum quantity of the silver (1/2 pint) and there was enough to refinish my lowers. After 6 hours at 70 degrees in the shop I sanded the green with 800 grit and applied the clear coat to all pieces. It came out looking pretty good, and I'm fairly confident that I won't be hearing that dreaded "rattle" from the front end when I go over any bumps.

Some pictures:

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 2:25 am

Re: New Fender for My '02 LTE

Ernie, Looks good. Do you think those guys could match my BMW Mauve Metallic paint? I need some touch up work done where I have clobbered the bike when installing the sidecar. Was the paint match really close? Say, if I were to paint a panel would the color difference be noticeable next to the adjacent panel?

BTW, what type of lighting system did you use to take the photo? Looks like sunshine? I guess that's what it is called. I got rained on going to and coming home from the Pyramid Brewery get together.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 5:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Looks good. I like the rare color..... Just a few of us out there!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 7:23 am

Really looks great Ernie, but sounds like a lot of work. My front fender broke initially because I accidentally grabbed it while working on the bike. My first attempts at repair failed, but as I said in the previous post you mentioned, it has held up fine ever since. I am curious as to why yours kept breaking? I also wonder if you tried a replacement stock fender or continued to repair your old one?

Keep up the good work.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #5 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
dan
i just read a couple of road test articles on your new ride. i don't think you are going to be disappointed.
john
post #6 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 9:21 am

Ernie, mine did the same thing as yours did after several attempts to glue. I ended up buying the OEM style, considered the newer style but didn't want to hassle with painting the toscona green. So far so good with the OEM style, only time will tell.....

Ernie, your bike looks great with newer style fender. It's now got me wishing that I would have gone your route with the fender..........

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #7 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 11:41 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Ernie, Looks good. Do you think those guys could match my BMW Mauve Metallic paint? I need some touch up work done where I have clobbered the bike when installing the sidecar. Was the paint match really close? Say, if I were to paint a panel would the color difference be noticeable next to the adjacent panel?
The color match would not be a problem. My next (paint) project is a topcase from a K13GT. We took a side bag over to LKQ and they shot it with their camera and mixed a color that will look great next to any other part of the bike. All you need is a part that has a flat surface for the camera to rest on. I took the small cover from in front of the seat to match mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
BTW, what type of lighting system did you use to take the photo? Looks like sunshine? I guess that's what it is called. I got rained on going to and coming home from the Pyramid Brewery get together.
Loren
Yeah, it was that high tech light bulb in the sky that briefly showed up when I got the camera out. I sure wish that light would shine a bit more around these parts.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #8 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 11:48 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Thanks Dan! the demo bike we rode before we bought our bike was a Titan Silver and I really liked it at the time; but Pauline picked this one out. I told her that day that if we were going to spend that much money on a bike we better be prepared to ride it... a lot! And we have done just that.

The color has really grown on me. If I bought another LT I wouldn't hesitate to re-paint it to this color.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #9 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 12:02 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Really looks great Ernie, but sounds like a lot of work. My front fender broke initially because I accidentally grabbed it while working on the bike. My first attempts at repair failed, but as I said in the previous post you mentioned, it has held up fine ever since. I am curious as to why yours kept breaking? I also wonder if you tried a replacement stock fender or continued to repair your old one?

Keep up the good work.
Thanks! I'm not sure what the catalist was that caused this fender to break in the first place. I suspect it was vibration and perhaps it was pulled on by someone when it was in a shop; who knows for sure. I don't remember what product you used that has been successful since your last attempt to repair yours. I kept repairing my original fender. I would grind the old epoxy out and redo it only to have it crack from vibration I suspect. I tried a combination of other material with the epoxy (metal screen and fiberglass matting) to help reinforce the fix only to have it fail. I looked at the '05 and newer fenders and thought it would be the best solution for me.

You are right is is a hassle if you don't have the tools, however there is always someone out there willing to help that has the equipment. Repainting has not been mentioned much on this forum in years past, with the exception of rare cases of total custom paint jobs. As we put on miles and time on these beautiful machines it is something that will help enhance the value when the paint is kept up. A good auto paint company can coach a noob in how to prep and apply their products. It takes some time and patience but the result is worth it in the end.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #10 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 1:13 pm

Ernie,

I used G/flex by West System and a layer of fiberglass wetted out real well with the mixture.(on the underside) It has a little flexability and is not brittle which I think is the answer. I do think your's looks great though, I like the newer style.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #11 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 1:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: New Fender for My '02 LTE

I saw the finished product a couple of days ago and it is indeed, "a match made in heaven", or Ernie's shop to be more exact. Even in the blazing sun it was a perfect match.

Denny
post #12 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 5:16 pm

Wink Re: New Fender for My '02 LTE

Looks great Ernie! Now ya got me thinking, Hmm, I wonder what that shop would need to do all the LT tupperware? Turn a Champagne LT into a Toscana Green LT! Just thinking, ya know?

On a separate note from a different thread, Randi's trike is looking quite eye catching!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #13 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 5:50 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Looks great Ernie! Now ya got me thinking, Hmm, I wonder what that shop would need to do all the LT tupperware? Turn a Champagne LT into a Toscana Green LT! Just thinking, ya know?
About a week after the trike is finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
On a separate note from a different thread, Randi's trike is looking quite eye catching!

John
It is coming along nicely. the thread can be found here

Thanks John!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #14 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 6:53 pm

Ern,
Ya got me a bit worried that I will find a Toscano Green front fender on my bike when I come up to pick it up. Say it ain't so...
Mo
post #15 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 8:43 pm

Talking Re: New Fender for My '02 LTE

Hey Mo, if that happens just let me know and maybe I can trade you a Champagne fender for that Toscana Green one and save myself a few bucks!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobikerider
Ern,
Ya got me a bit worried that I will find a Toscano Green front fender on my bike when I come up to pick it up. Say it ain't so...
Mo

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #16 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 9:42 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobikerider
Ern,
Mo
No pillage of the Mo bike has been committed. Your baby is safe.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #17 of 20 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 10:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ya mean I have to bring Mo's com system back?

Denny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
No pillage of the Mo bike has been committed. Your baby is safe.
post #18 of 20 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 1:04 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
Ya mean I have to bring Mo's com system back?

Denny
You are not making this better Denny...

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!

post #19 of 20 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 9:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

My apologies, Ernie and Mo. No cure for a warped sense of humor.

Denny
post #20 of 20 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 9:26 am

Denny and Ernie,
I can hear you down here in SoCal.

Ern, the fender looks good. How in heck do you have time for all your projects. Oh I forgot. You're retired now!

BTW: been working on our Boys Week route. Lookin at about 4700 miles for our 8 days. Ken could do it without stoppin'. Maybe you too...as well as the "Roid." Also still thinkin on the Russell Day Long. Let me know when you are going down to see Rick.

Mo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in