Nav IV / Voice II success? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 11:15 am Thread Starter

Question Nav IV / Voice II success?

1. My current setup: '09 LT, Voice II intercom, BMW Nav IV, J&M Performance headsets

After numerous searches I haven't found one about success using the two together. I just got the Nav IV yesterday (after 16 mos of problems with the Nav III Plus and Voice II...dealer could never find the "special" wiring for the harness that would allow me to hear audio turning quide or telephone calls). Went to Garmin.com, downloaded the newest updates etc. last night.

It seems like everything is working except the cellphone audio out put. When I try to use the phone thru the headsets, it says "connect wireless headset before using phone" or something close to that. I was under the impression that the J&M headsets plugged into the Voice II would connect with the cellphone option on the Nav IV since the Voice II is hardwired as is the Nav IV.

Yes, I've checked that the Enable is on, sound not muted...etc. The phone and Nav IV paired quickly however the Contact list hasn't transferred yet (I've seen some posts about that taking a while to do so I'm not too worried about that yet). I can hear the turning prompts thru the headset which is a new thing for me so I like that.

I hope I made this question understandable without adding to the confusion.

Any help will be appreicated as always.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
1989 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Re: Nav IV / Voice II success?

Nope, sorry won't work. You need special headset / helmet with BT connectivity.
Search" nav III voice II bluetooth " for plenty of discussion on this.
Here is a link for a workaround that somewhat works (people can barely hear me)

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25771

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 9:56 pm

Garage

Finally!! Jim. Identical Twins???
I have finally found someone with the same situation notice I did not use the word problem.
1. My radio works fine
2. My gps (Navi IV) worked fine in conjunction with the bike's computer.
3. So next I went out and got my headset J&M with a boom mic that works by itself.
4. Then came the phone but before I knew better I went out and purchased a phone that was bluetooth capable, fm radio and 2ADP.
From the instant all 4 components were brought together I found my twin you Jim. We are having the exact experience. I tried my daughter phone and my son-in-law Blackberry an older model and it sync up right away. Well I was not going to buy another phone (BLKB)
Now my dealer tells me that the com system is hard wired to work and will work with older phones specifically because the (VOICE II 2004-2006 hope the years are correct) were designed before bluetooth was integrated with the Nav IV.
If you could get hold of an older phone and the cable and jack to plug into the com S it is supposed to work since they are all wired. We still need a solution for bluetooth wireless and voice2 wired. And the auto mute for gps over radio, or phone over music is not happening for me. I hear both but with the same volume. This is more than a mouthful, I will take a breather.
ride safe

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 1:51 pm Thread Starter

Billsmith
Yup, sounds like the same problem. Everything works but the phone and yes it's the BT link I'm sure. I don't want to find an old phone though. My wife and I are going to tour as many National Parks as possible and we'll be gone weeks or months at a time. I think I'm going to actually upgrade to an even newer phone because I want to be able to use the internet to pay bills, email etc. I might just have to get rid of the Voice II and scrap the J & M headset as well. Too bad though, I love the headset.

If I understand it right, with a newer phone I'd have the gps and cellular phone plus I've always planned on a Satellite radio for the blank spots during the ride so we'll just make that our total radio for the bike.

Any other thoughts or cheaper ways to make this work...feel free to let me know

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 6:16 pm

I've been through untold iterations of trying to get my Garmin 2820 with bluetooth to work with the Voice II and my bluetooth phone. I spent a lot of time talking with Garmin support. There was one solution that sort of worked. You will find on this forum, topics related to an obsolete/discontinued Motorola product known as the HF-820. I used that for a while but it still was not optimal. So I went in a different direction.

You may want to consider a slightly different direction also. If not, that's okay. Consider this food for thought.

I do not try to interface my Garmin GPS anymore with my phone. The Garmin GPS interfaces with the Voice II just fine (route directions and XM stereo) so that's that.

I interface my bluetooth cell phone to the Voice II through a bluetooth adapter. This one. The Starcom BTM-01 pairs to your cell phone via bluetooth and connects to the Voice II Phone input via a cable that I ran from underneath my seat (where the adapter is connected to a switched power source) up into the oddiments tray. The cable from the BTM-01 is sized at 3.5mm (stereo). You need to reduce that down to a 2.5mm stereo male plug to connect to the 2.5mm Voice II cellphone jack. The adapter is readily available at Radio Shack.

Other points to consider if you use this method. Your phone needs an auto answer function to answer calls (my Nokia did). Otherwise you have to be able touch a button on the phone or something. To make calls, I had the few numbers I needed on speed dial.

I will face new challenges this year since I got an iphone which I don't think has auto answer, plus the touch screen interface will be a challenge because of the gloves that I wear. Oh well, that give me something to think about while riding.

Good luck!

Attached is a picture of my oddiments box and where I put the the 3.5 to 2.5 plug adapter.

Also, I use the BMW headsets with Voice II. I think they are the same as the J&M Elite series. Both need to use the high end lower cord (Z series? ... I forget). I only mention this because I think somebody mentioned mic volume on telephone call issues. Just something to think about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1636.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	31146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1638.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	31147  

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 7:58 pm

Garage

Please to make your acquaintance Jim AZ, and Jim IL.
We are all in the same stadium watching the same game so we have each other's attention. Like I said it is a mouthful so I am not going to write a book on the subject. Mine works to some extent but not the way we want or expect it to function.
1. My newer phone '08 Nokia has all the frills before the I-phone craze and work as an independent instrument. Even the automatic answer but I do not like answering every call while riding so if the caller id funct. worked properly I could make the decision to pull over and have the conversation if I felt it was urgent/important.
2 My phone book shows up on the Navi after sync. but my voice command never call the right person so that's another problem.
3. I do have a 6" cable made with 2.5 mm on one end and 3.5 mm right angle on the other. Again a problem when calling from the garage to the house it works but its like I am talking through the headset mic and the cell mic at the same time. I can hear very well but my wife said she hears background noise and my voice duplicated.
4. Here is the surprise and I will try to be short Sept'10 going to NC. phone rings I did not even know, auto answers suddenly my name is being called in my headset at first I thought I was going crazy. OK calm down it only the phone it was a family member checking on me. I heard every bit of talk but they could not. The only picture they could draw was "OK I see you must be on your trip must be in the mountains cause I am not hearing you hope you make it safely call when you get a chance." So imagine talking to your wife or friend and that's what is coming back to you in the headset. Again not working properly. I will keep playing with it until something pops. Luckily the phone is not a necessity while I am actually riding.
ride safe
To be continued.
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 8:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
I've been through untold iterations of trying to get my Garmin 2820 with bluetooth to work with the Voice II and my bluetooth phone. I spent a lot of time talking with Garmin support. There was one solution that sort of worked. You will find on this forum, topics related to an obsolete/discontinued Motorola product known as the HF-820. I used that for a while but it still was not optimal. So I went in a different direction.

You may want to consider a slightly different direction also. If not, that's okay. Consider this food for thought.

I do not try to interface my Garmin GPS anymore with my phone. The Garmin GPS interfaces with the Voice II just fine (route directions and XM stereo) so that's that.

I interface my bluetooth cell phone to the Voice II through a bluetooth adapter. This one. The Starcom BTM-01 pairs to your cell phone via bluetooth and connects to the Voice II Phone input via a cable that I ran from underneath my seat (where the adapter is connected to a switched power source) up into the oddiments tray. The cable from the BTM-01 is sized at 3.5mm (stereo). You need to reduce that down to a 2.5mm stereo male plug to connect to the 2.5mm Voice II cellphone jack. The adapter is readily available at Radio Shack.

Other points to consider if you use this method. Your phone needs an auto answer function to answer calls (my Nokia did). Otherwise you have to be able touch a button on the phone or something. To make calls, I had the few numbers I needed on speed dial.

I will face new challenges this year since I got an iphone which I don't think has auto answer, plus the touch screen interface will be a challenge because of the gloves that I wear. Oh well, that give me something to think about while riding.

Good luck!

Attached is a picture of my oddiments box and where I put the the 3.5 to 2.5 plug adapter.

Also, I use the BMW headsets with Voice II. I think they are the same as the J&M Elite series. Both need to use the high end lower cord (Z series? ... I forget). I only mention this because I think somebody mentioned mic volume on telephone call issues. Just something to think about.
You mentioned speed dial. Does that mean that you have to handle the phone to dial? Or is there a way to access the speed dial numbers via voice command through the bluetooth?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 10 Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 10:12 am Thread Starter

I've tried the 3.5 reduced to 2.5 Radio Shack before. I got the same result(s) as some others did (i.e. I could hear the other person talking through my headset but they couldn't hear me. At the time (several months ago), my dealership tech told me that the 2.5 did not have a necessary "third" wire that the 3.5 did (apparently the third wire is the voice output). He also told me that when the Voice Ii was originally released, they offered or supplied the necessary special cable (3.5 to 2.5) but when he searched the BMW mech site online he couldn't find anymore available (he even showed me the computer screen and it identified the cable and had a part number. Then I was told that it was no longer made. I was later told that a few other patrons of my dealership were in the same boat and a "special order" had been made for us. At the end of 16 months waiting to fix this problem I went in and learned that most of the employees had been recently replaced by the new boss. They did, however, refund the money I paid for the Nav 111 plus. That's why I upgraded last week to the Nav IV. Unfortunately here I am again with the same problem. I do like the Nav IV much better but it's looking more and more like I'll have to write off the money and invest in a (2)BT headsets and a new radio.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 5:37 pm

Garage

I am very persistent and because of that I will keep trying and reading. The Navi iv has too many features that I like to just seek change. Besides if changes, it will be my phone since it has nothing to do with my bike. The Nav iv stays and any resolution everyone here would be first to know.
ride safe
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
You mentioned speed dial. Does that mean that you have to handle the phone to dial? Or is there a way to access the speed dial numbers via voice command through the bluetooth?
Yes, I had to handle the phone to use speed dial, but I had it clipped to my tank bag (see picture attached). I used speed dial (key press 1, or 2, or 3, etc.) on my Nokia even though it has "voice dial." The voice dial on the Nokia 6133 is crap. I would say "Call Frank" - it would say "ordering Tank" Haha. I am being facetious but it did dial my security company ADT when I said "Call AL" Voice dial was very unreliable and I found it easier to use speed dial numbers, even using gloves. I am more interested in receiving calls then placing calls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1035.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	31160  

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in