Don Muddiman's Eagle Innovation Review - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 5:23 am Thread Starter

Don Muddiman's Eagle Innovation Armrest Review

I recently purchased a set of Don Muddiman’s Eagle Innovation armrest for my 2005 K1200lt. I decided to install the armrest myself since the estimated time to install was two hours per the instructions.

Quality of the Product: A+
Quality of the instructions: A-
Actual Time to install: 5 hours (Could probably cut in half if I installed a second set for someone elses bike since you would not have to read and re-read the instructions)

I have a typical discount store socket set for my tool kit so I don’t have many specialized tools. Overall the instructions were very well written with a few minor exceptions:

Step 4: Instructions fail to mention to remove the light switch retainer from the original hinge support. In step 13, the instructions do tell you to drill a ¼” hole through the original rivet of the switch retainer but it doesn’t tell you where to find the light switch retainer. After 10 minutes of searching, I realized it was on a part that was previously removed.

Step 7: This step gives you two options. You can use a M6x1.00 tap or redrill the 3/16” hole in the stiffener to a 15/64” hole. Since I did not own a tap, I chose option 2. When I finished the drill out, the hole was slightly too big for the screw which prohibited the bolt from “screwing” in. I ended up buying a slightly longer bolt and a lock nut and washer to install through the hole. I don’t attribute the hole being too big as a result of bad instructions but to my skill in drilling a 15/64” hole or my misunderstanding of the instructions. If I was going to install another set of Don’s armrest, I would simply buy a M6x1.00 tap for this step.

Step 11: Most of you probably own a Xacto knife but my discount tool kit did not have one. Instead, I used a drill and a 3/16” drill bit to carve out and trim the appropriate areas discussed in the instructions. The process I used actually provided a cleaner and more professional look versus the Xacto knife.

Step 12: This step has you trimming off a panel tab. Since I did not have a Xacto knife, I used Dremel tool with a barrel sanding tip…ok, this is my one specialty tool I own. It worked well and gave a clean finish.

The one thing I would like to see Don include in the kit that was not included was he calls a T20 right angle driver. People like me who do not know the lingo call it an allen wrench with a T20 tip. I went to two national chain hardware stores plus one local hardware store in search of this item. The only thing close to a T20 right angle driver I could find was “pocket knife” looking gadget with several T type of keys. I ended up drilling out the pin on this gadget and taking the T20 and putting it in a vice and beating it with a hammer to make it a right angle.

It would also be nice if Don included an outline of the bolts in the instruction manual since some of them look similar. This would allow you to take a bolt, lay it on the outline, and figure out which bolt matches up.

Overall, I am thrilled with the results of my “Do It Yourself” project. More importantly, my wife is happy with the results. Don’s product offers a real value versus the other options on the market without sacrificing quality.

Last edited by anwdaryl; Apr 20th, 2011 at 5:49 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 7:39 am

Re: Don Muddiman's Eagle Innovation Review

You will also be happy to know that I have now had the armrests on my LTE for 140,000 miles and they look new still !

A true Quality Product with excellent instructions from a superb vendor!

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 29th, 2011, 7:39 am Thread Starter

Other than the quality of Don's armrest, I think my favorite feature I have discovered is that the armrest when folded up in storage make a great place to hang your helmet. The picture quality I took is poor but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	armrest helmet holder.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	31198  

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 29th, 2011, 9:35 am

Good idea, will try it, BUT, do they stay up ?.
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 29th, 2011, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Good idea, will try it, BUT, do they stay up ?.
yes they do, you just need to properly torque the locking type pinch pivot bolt/nut.
Additionally, I was able to adapt a removeable cup holder for my wife enjoyment!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old May 6th, 2011, 3:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
yes they do, you just need to properly torque the locking type pinch pivot bolt/nut.
Additionally, I was able to adapt a removeable cup holder for my wife enjoyment!

Can you show us a picture of the cup and how it is mounted? You know the saying, when mama is happy, everybody is happy.
post #7 of 11 Old May 6th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Here's how I modified the bottom of the armrests into locking helmet holders. Inexpensive and VERY easy to do:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...hlight=whitney

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 11 Old May 7th, 2011, 10:39 am

Ron,
Like the idea of the helmet locks on the bottom of the armrests. I did a good amount of research on the internet trying to find the locks you used because JC Whitney no longer carries them. The current fold of locks for helmets are designed to mount on handlebars and HD framework tubing. If you know of a good alternate or source please let us know. Thanks.
Bill and Marthe
post #9 of 11 Old May 7th, 2011, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-marthe
Ron,
Like the idea of the helmet locks on the bottom of the armrests. I did a good amount of research on the internet trying to find the locks you used because JC Whitney no longer carries them. The current fold of locks for helmets are designed to mount on handlebars and HD framework tubing. If you know of a good alternate or source please let us know. Thanks.
Bill and Marthe
Yeah, I did that mod a few years back - but the lock is/was a pretty common unit. The cool thing about that particular unit is that the mounting holes aligned perfectly. Hard to find now... sorry.

The type shown below should work fine as well minus the tube mounting bracket. You'll probably need to drill new mounting holes in the bottom metal plate of the armrest, and use a countersink so that the head of a beveled machine screw will be flush with the interior surface of the mounting plate. The two screws will of course be sticking out from the bottom of the armrest. Toss on a couple of chrome flat washers and acorn nuts to dress it up and hide the top of the screw. I think it will look great, and they are probably cheaper with a black finish instead of chrome.

They of course won't be as secure mounted that way since all a thief would have to do is unscrew the nuts, but a drop of permanent lock tite inside the acorn nut would make it hard to do without a socket and some leverage. You could always put the nut inside the armrest by routering out a hole in the rubber body. That would be the preferred way... but then you would need an anti-theft one way screw on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	helmet lock tube type.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	31292   Click image for larger version

Name:	bevel head.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	31293   Click image for larger version

Name:	security screw.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	31294  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; May 7th, 2011 at 11:32 am.
post #10 of 11 Old May 7th, 2011, 11:27 am

Ron,
I had the same idea but was hoping for the easy way out and find the ones like yours. Will probably go that route with the tube type. Just wanted an external lock system so I didn't have to keep taking the helmet with me when I had things in the top case. Thanks.
Bill-Marthe
post #11 of 11 Old May 7th, 2011, 11:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-marthe
Ron,
I had the same idea but was hoping for the easy way out and find the ones like yours. Will probably go that route with the tube type. Just wanted an external lock system so I didn't have to keep taking the helmet with me when I had things in the top case. Thanks.
Bill-Marthe
Note the last paragraph I just added regarding the security screw. I think that's the best way to mount it.

What I really liked about this setup is that my full cover would fit over top everything - no more schlepping helmets around at night.

Good luck!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in