Looking at 2 LTs.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Looking at 2 LTs....

A few weeks ago I took a short ride on an K12LT and I was hooked, looking for a 2-up bike to go with my Ducati ST2 for solo rides. The features and ride just blew me away, compared to the ST1100 I recently sold. I then started researching on this forum, and am concerned with the clutch and fd issues common with these bikes. In your opinion, which of these bikes would be a better bet regarding clutch or fd issues?
One is a 1999 Icon model with 63k, 2 years/10k miles ago the clutch and fd were replaced by a BMW dealer. The other is a 2000 Custom model with 41k, original clutch and fd - owner says never an issue. The price is about the same, both in excellent condition with newer rubber. Neither bikes' clutch slips, no weird noises, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 7:37 pm

Re: Looking at 2 LTs....

Pick the color you like best ... ride the snot out of it and if failures happen fix it and keep adding miles of smiles !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #3 of 11 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

That's my plan when I pick one, I'm just wondering if one is a safer bet than the other - or if it's such a crap shoot it doesn't matter?

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Life's a crap shoot pick what feels best have fun and enjoy it no one has a crystal ball mine broke along time ago. I figure nothing is prefect and just go for it. I have a 94 rs that still does great. (also have a 09 LT) Ron

09 LT
07 500 Vulcan (sweetie's)
94 R1100RS
96 DR650
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 12:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrichard
That's my plan when I pick one, I'm just wondering if one is a safer bet than the other - or if it's such a crap shoot it doesn't matter?
It is a crap shoot .... My Y2K was picked up in Jan 04 with 8K on the clock, 52K now with only a few minor fixs required along the way.

Take the plunge and just don't sweat it !!

*** Like chrome ... go custom, if not the Icon in that year is basically the same bike minus the chrome and factory heated seats ( Tho bike wired for them )

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #6 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 4:25 am

Buy both

Or

Buy the custom and turn heads as you pass buy !!

The FD and clutch problems could happen to anyone at any time, I spent more money maintaining my ST1100 than I have with my LT... Grab it and go, you won't regret it !!
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 10:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

If the price is right go for... either.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #8 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 12:14 pm

You're good either way. Now buy one and flog it out Wolfenburger Rd, north on 105, and up the hill to Deckers just to make sure...

(Castle Rock is my hometown - I sure miss it!)

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 11:45 pm

Garage

I notice no one is telling you what choice to make.
It is heads or tails do you want A or B? 1999 of 2000? I am not going to pick one either. But try this: both are the same, partial to one color maybe, price about evenly matched. But miles 63k or 41k ? 22,000 miles is a year of riding for some. Would you rather being the one that's twisting and turning and cruising at 75, 80, 90 mph and enjoying only those roads you want to travel and watch that odometer roll for 22k.
Now make your pick and remember you could only have one.
ride safe
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 3:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Many 99s do not have a wiring harness for heated seats.

When I bought my 00, I balked at the idea of getting her with heated seats--sissy stuff.

Course, I've replaced the rider and passenger seats with heated seats since then.

Adding heated seats to a 99 without the harness is rather simple however.

Stock shocks go out around 22K. That is around the same time to replace the fuel filter which involves taking off the gas tank. Not hard to do, but there is a LOT of stuff to remove to remove the tank.

You'll have to remove the tank at 48K to replace the fuel filter. At both 24K and 48K it's time to check the gap on the valves. Instead of adjusting the valves we buy "buckets" to get the gap back in specs.

One of the first things you'll want to buy is an electric screw driver!

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 3:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Oh.

You want to verify the FD was replaced and NOT rebuilt by the dealer. It seems as if few dealers are able to rebuild a failed FD correctly.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in