Shipping the LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 4:40 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Shipping the LT?

Anyone have experience shipping the LT? Tips?

I'm considering shipping my LT to New England, spending some time there and then riding back to AZ.

I bought the LT from a dealer in CA who shipped it here using a moving company.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Re: Shipping the LT?

PM TallyHo... He's shipping his LT (and an RT and an R) back east this year and making the trip back to the West Coast via several grave yards, if I understand his routing example as he drew it on my Photinia's...

He's a wealth of info on that subject...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 5:50 pm

I've had positive experiences with Federal Motorcycle Transport. As Uncle Mark mentioned we are about to ship three bikes to the east in September plus I have two bike coming here from Minnesota in June. It's not the least expensive but they are pretty reasonable. They allow you to ship items in the bike as long as it's locked up, include a decent amount of damage insurance in the price, don't require a full drain of fluids, keep to their schedule, and most of the drivers are also riders so they know what's up with bikes. Not all carriers are this flexible. They are a division of Allied Van Lines. Shipping is my line of work. They offer great mutilple bike discounts if all picked up and dropped at the same place and they have a discount for AMA members. If you're not an AMA member you'll more than make up for the cost of membership on one shipment from AZ to the east. Hint: Take whatever timeframe they give you for shipment arrival and give yourself a couple extra days cushion for arrival.

FYI: I'm having our September shipment sent to Bob's BMW near Baltimore, MD. They will receive the bikes, check them and report any damage, and put them on a trickle charger for the first 48 hours for $75 per bike. They will also do any service or tire changes before you arrive. Bob's is very close to BWI airport as well. For a donation to Ride for Kids they will pick you up at the airport too. If you're not interested in starting that far south,(we are interested in Gettysburg, Poconos, and Berkshires) I'd suggest shipping to Max BMW in North Hampton, NH. They were also very accomodating about receiving bikes and are well north of all the major cities and on the cusp of the great riding in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and upstate New York. Airfare and getting to the dealer can be problematic though. However, I'm sure you can find someone on this site or definitely on the BMWMOA site that would be willing to accept your bike as a courtesy. Just remember any damage has to be reported to the driver before he leaves or you're SOL and if anything is damaged you'll need parts and maybe service nearby.

NOTE: To all riders on this forum, if you're going to ship your bike to the west coast, I'd be happy to receive it in Sacramento at my crossdock operations hub. Sacramento Airport is 15 minutes away as is A&S BMW in Roseville. Say when!

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 6:58 pm

I just had my 01 put on a truck today and she is heading from Beaverton, Oregon to Lakeland, Florida, Allied van lines did it. They have a special divisions. This is who my buyer hired for the job. They rolled it onto a pallet and strapped her down. All I had to do was drain the fuel down to 1/8. The shipping cost was $770.00 door to door. I kept the keysand sent the UPS to the buyer.

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 6:10 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Can I save any money by having my bike picked up at a business, Lowes and dropped off at a business, a large supermarket parking lot?

What is the difference between Allied and Federal Motorcycle Transport?

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 7:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Anyone have experience shipping the LT? Tips?

I'm considering shipping my LT to New England, spending some time there and then riding back to AZ.

I bought the LT from a dealer in CA who shipped it here using a moving company.

Best from Tucson
Bob
Heck, just run out the northern route, and come back the southern... Or VV depending on the time of year...
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 6:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyho
I've had positive experiences with Federal Motorcycle Transport.... I'd suggest shipping to Max BMW in North Hampton, NH. They were also very accomodating about receiving bikes and are well north of all the major cities and on the cusp of the great riding in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and upstate New York. Airfare and getting to the dealer can be problematic though....
If you decide to ship to Max BMW, you can fly into Boston (Logan Airport), then take C&J Trailways to Portsmouth, and call a taxi or Max might even send someone over for you:
http://www.ridecj.com/logan-airport.html

C&J Trailways is routinely used to travel to/from the airport from the NH seacoast, and the Portsmouth stop is 6 miles (10 minutes) from Max BMW.

Dave - NH Seacoast
RT-NH1; AMA; MVTR; NETRA;
'02 R1150RT-P; '01 R12C Montana; '07 KLR650; '00 KDX200;
Gone, not forgotten: '05 450EXC; '99 K12LTC; '94 KDX250; '92 R100GS; '77 R75/7; a few others...
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:31 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the info.

I'm flying from Phoenix to Boston. My friend from the Portland area will pick me up in Boston.

Best from tucson
Bob

post #9 of 10 Old Apr 26th, 2011, 7:38 am

Might be closer if you fly into MHT Manchester, NH for MAXBMW?

05 LT (ocean blue) "Jenny"
post #10 of 10 Old May 20th, 2011, 2:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkniess
I just had my 01 put on a truck today and she is heading from Beaverton, Oregon to Lakeland, Florida, Allied van lines did it. They have a special divisions. This is who my buyer hired for the job. They rolled it onto a pallet and strapped her down. All I had to do was drain the fuel down to 1/8. The shipping cost was $770.00 door to door. I kept the keysand sent the UPS to the buyer.
I'm getting ready to ship my bike to Alaska compliments of the US Air Force. How did you drain the fuel or did you just run it out? I can do either (with one being MUCH more fun), but if I need to drain it, I wasn't sure how to go about it. Also for the group, when you shipped, did you remove your mirrors and windshield or just let the movers worry about it? Thanks
Ken

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in