Has anyone found a way to disable the park setting on the LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 9:28 am Thread Starter

Has anyone found a way to disable the park setting on the LT?

Nothing more maddening then to get up to the office only to be told the parking lights are on. I've managed to do this several times now and would really like to avoid killing the battery and be left stranded.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 9:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Talking Re: Has anyone found a way to disable the park setting on the LT?

Sorry for your problem with turning the key PAST OFF!

I've had my LT for almost 5 years and 106,000 miles and have never turned on the parking lights.

Maybe your ignition is different than my "03 LT. Mine has a definate feel in the OFF position. Good luck.

Just saying.

Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 9:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Has anyone found a way to disable the park setting on the LT?

Unplug the bulb?
When I first got my LT I found it helpful to intentionally turn the key to the 'park' position, then back to 'off' (whatever BMW labels them).

Motor On ,/'

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 10:06 am

I have done this a few times myself. I solved the problem with a "Sharpie" marker. A small dot on the fairing that indicates the off position when the key points to it is an easy fix.
Good Luck!
HARFEND
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 10:24 am

Not only the LT, other BMWs have the same foible.
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 10:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Not only the LT, other BMWs have the same foible.
LOL its bloody damn irritating.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 1:47 pm

I finally got in the habit of looking at the bike as I walk away from it to make sure the little goofy bulb in the front or the tail light is not lit. Whichever end is looking at you as you walk away.

Left the P lights on 2 times at work but people let me know both times. Not a lot of folks at the hospital ride purple BMW's!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I finally got in the habit of looking at the bike as I walk away from it to make sure the little goofy bulb in the front or the tail light is not lit. Whichever end is looking at you as you walk away.

Left the P lights on 2 times at work but people let me know both times. Not a lot of folks at the hospital ride purple BMW's!

Loren
Ya most the time I do, for whatever reason this oh dark thirty I didn't. I've gotten lucky on several occasions that I've turned it to far co-workers have told me the lights are on.

LOL ya Purple BMW at a hospital would be an eye catcher.

Think what I'm going to do is mount something so it block's that position I was just hoping someone had already solved the issue.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kra961
Nothing more maddening then to get up to the office only to be told the parking lights are on. I've managed to do this several times now and would really like to avoid killing the battery and be left stranded.
Your battery should EASILY be able to support both lamps for at least 12 hours with no problem. If you converted to LED's you could probably go for days. When I camp I leave mine on from dusk until bedtime so I can scare the bears away.

It's pretty much a tell tale sign that your bat isn't up to snuff - and will probably leave you stranded. (again)

Plug it into a smart trickle charger every night if you aren't putting some serious miles on the bike when you ride it. A decent charger will run about $50.00 - but you'll save a lot coin on new batteries that will more than pay for it over the years.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Ron

Ya I've got the charger and its on it every night the Bike get's 50 miles a day. I like the idea of moving to Led's I'll check into that awesome idea.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 3:29 pm

This has bitten me a few times too. I just got into the habit of turning it all the way and locking the steering each time.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #12 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Your battery should EASILY be able to support both lamps for at least 12 hours with no problem. If you converted to LED's you could probably go for days.
Does anyone have source or nomenclature for the proper LEDs? I've left mne on before to and would like some insurance.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
This has bitten me a few times too. I just got into the habit of turning it all the way and locking the steering each time.
This is what I do also. Plus I wouldn't recommend taking the parking light out. A couple of months ago both hi & low beams went out on me do to a grounding problem. The little parking light allowed me enough light to see the white line on the side of the road to get home. Wasn't pretty, but I made it. Only about 15 miles. That won't happen again. Fixed the original ground, plus ran a heavier wire from the battery to the clip as a secondary backup.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in