LT cover - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 11:55 am Thread Starter

LT cover

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good cover for the LT. I am looking for one that has the openings in the back so I don't have to remove the antenna. I keep the bike in the garage so it doesn't have to be an all-weather cover, more for keeping the dust/dirt off.

I was thinking about the BMW OEM cover (I think this one has the openings in the back). Does anyone have this cover? Is it any good? Where can I buy one that will ship to Canada?

Thanks, Todd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Current rides

2005 BMW K1200LT

Past rides

1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1980 Kawasaki ZR1000
1982 Suzuki GS650E
1980 Suzuki GS425E
1980 Kawasaki KH100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Re: LT cover

Tod
I bought the OEM with the openings but have not tried it yet. It is a big sucker and expensive. I just sold my 01 and bought a 03 and found a nice cover on the trailer that came with it. I tried it last night and found it had no hole. I emailed the previous owner and he said he simply removed the antenna. You could buy one without the hole, remove the antenna, fit the cover and mark where the hole needs to be and take somewhere and have a button hole put in. I am considering marking the hole location and hammering in one of those tarp grommets.

Larry Kniess
Beaverton, Oregon
BMOA #161285
2001 Honda 750 Nighthawk - SOLD
2001 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2003 BMW K1200LT - SOLD
2007 UNI-GO trailer - SOLD
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited
2011 Aspen Sentry Camper
2009 Suzuki 650DL-ABS V-Strom
post #3 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 12:21 pm

Still love my UltraGard Classic H - Half Cover. Read more about it here (see reply #6). No need to worry about antennas. I can put it on in about 10 seconds, and take it off in about 5 seconds. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Here's an updated link to the cover iteself ...which now sells for $31.46 and comes in three colors (black, grey, sand).

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.

post #4 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 1:34 pm

I use a light nylon(?) cover for my LT, it is not exactly waterproof, but works great for keeping the bike clean when parked in the carport or garage. I bought it at Walmart a couple of years ago for $20 I just cut a slit where the antenna goes, and when I put the cover on, I just bunch it up while grabing where the hole is, bend the antenna a bit to insert, then pull the back of the cover down. I know cutting a hole sounds crude, but it has weathered lots of wind and other weather as well, and hasn't ripped open or been any problem, AND it doesn't show when I'm riding the bike! (of course because I don't ride with the cover on) I suppose that spending a lot of money on a custom cover with just the right hole in it is an option, but I just don't have that kind of expendible income....I'd rather buy gas and tires!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 4:59 pm

I recommend a Nelson-Rigg UV-2000 3/4 cover. Packs small, very tough, waterproof, etc.
$39.95. Get the X-tra Large for the LT. I'm on my 2nd one for the LT. The 1st only lasted 4 years!

http://nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=487

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #6 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
I use a light nylon(?) cover for my LT, it is not exactly waterproof, but works great for keeping the bike clean when parked in the carport or garage. I bought it at Walmart a couple of years ago for $20 I just cut a slit where the antenna goes, and when I put the cover on, I just bunch it up while grabbing where the hole is, bend the antenna a bit to insert, then pull the back of the cover down. I know cutting a hole sounds crude, but it has weathered lots of wind and other weather as well, and hasn't ripped open or been any problem, AND it doesn't show when I'm riding the bike! (of course because I don't ride with the cover on) I suppose that spending a lot of money on a custom cover with just the right hole in it is an option, but I just don't have that kind of expendible income....I'd rather buy gas and tires!!
++1 I have the Walmart cover and I installed a grommet ring in the material for the antenna, works just fine, had it about 4 years.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #7 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 8:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have the BMW full cloth dust cover - does not come with a hole for the antenna so I marked the spot and cut a hole. taped it off and it has worked fine for 5 years. The elastic has worn out and it is a lot loser as the material has "relaxed" over the years. I use it in the garage to keep the pollen and other stuff off. I got it as a close-out so the price was very good. Not sure I would pay retail for it. What I would recommend is the Traveler by EZ Tour. it is a half cover that is waterproof and very well made. Light, compact and easy to work with. I travel with it as it folds up to about half the size of a foot ball. There is a picture of one on an LT if you go to their web site - EZ Tour - I just used in a very strong storm and it kept all the good stuff dry..

Dave Oehler
2005 LT Dark Graphite - "K-Ship"

BMW-MOA 121422

post #8 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 8:43 pm

Check out the EZ-Tour covers. I have just purchased the Half Cover as I wanted the smallest package that I could take on trips. It fits well and is very light. Probably takes about 2 minutes to get it out and get it on the LT. Covers the entire windshield/fairing and then back over the box and it comes down so the antennas are out.

Hope this helps,

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #9 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Not sure which cover the others have that is OEM. Mine is big and heavy, fills an entire saddlebag. It has holes on both sides for antennas. They velcro shut and there is soft material for the windshield. It was expensive though, and does come with it's own bag qand reflective piping (like you need piping on a cover)

2012 F800GS
2009 K1200LT
2009 Honda 1300P (old work bike, traded for stripes)
2007 Yamaha FJR (traded for 1200)
2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000 (traded, luckily)
2005 Yamaha FZ1 (traded, stupidly)
2005 Suzuki GS500SF (gotta start somewhere)
post #10 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 9:20 pm

++1 on the EZ Tour product. They offer a very light packable cover that holds up well. Mine is 3 yrs old and no problems. I did add a plastic grommet and reinforced it with GoreTex for the antenna.
post #11 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 10:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

One thing to take into consideration is when on the road how small do you want it for packing, I run the half size its nice and pack up small from ez tour
post #12 of 21 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Here is more info on the EZ-Tour cover. Very light parachute material that's treated so it's rain repellent. Something good to keep the eyes off the innards of your Beemer a knight.

Linky ==> http://eztouring.com/

I have no affiliation to the company, just a satisfied customer.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #13 of 21 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 12:27 am

Garage

I went with a $0.99 cover from E-bay. Put two plastic grommets in for antenni and it balls up about the size of a fist. Only use it for dust and sunshine and so far (two years) it's held up well. I have a BMW cover but not the room when traveling.

Sam

Murphy's law & no Excuses!
and no1 can argue!
post #14 of 21 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 6:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have the OEM, and like previous comments it is bulky. It could be put on the luggage rack for trips though, Friend of mine had a folding antenna from a previous k bike that he installed on his LT and used a cheap cover. Those antenna's are expensive though.
post #15 of 21 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 7:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your input everyone. I'll probably go with the smaller cover suggested for travelling and use my old car cover for the bike when it's in the garage to keep the dust off. The car cover's big enough that I can wrap it around the back end without worrying about holes for the antenna.

Great input. Todd.

Current rides

2005 BMW K1200LT

Past rides

1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate
1984 Honda V65 Magna
1980 Kawasaki ZR1000
1982 Suzuki GS650E
1980 Suzuki GS425E
1980 Kawasaki KH100
post #16 of 21 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 8:46 am

I would recommend the Nelson-Rigg UV2000. I have had that in the past, but decided to try the Ez-touring cover based on recommendations here. I prefer the UV2000 for a variety of reasons, and it is half the price.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #17 of 21 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
I would recommend the Nelson-Rigg UV2000. I have had that in the past, but decided to try the Ez-touring cover based on recommendations here. I prefer the UV2000 for a variety of reasons, and it is half the price.
I am interested to know the reasons for your preferences to the NR UV2000 and also how compact does it get. I am considering an EZ-tour cover and like you I have had a NR, but not the UV2000, in the past.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #18 of 21 Old Apr 28th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo1137
I am interested to know the reasons for your preferences to the NR UV2000 and also how compact does it get. I am considering an EZ-tour cover and like you I have had a NR, but not the UV2000, in the past.
I can't get to my Nelson Rigg cover just now to measure it, but it comes with a flapped pouch and packs down to about a 3''+/- diameter with a length of 7"+/- or so. Packs tight. Drys rather quickly and works great.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #19 of 21 Old Apr 28th, 2011, 7:51 pm

I only cover mine in the garage in the winter when it sits for extended periods, I bought the cheap cover that JC Witney sells for like $25, The one for full dressed touring bikes fits perfect. Did have to make small hole for the antenna. Comes with bag and folds up very small for travel.
post #20 of 21 Old Apr 29th, 2011, 11:48 am

Quote:
The NR comes in a carrying case that is very easy to pack. The EZ-Tour is a huge pain in the butt to re-pack. They say you eventually learn how to do it better. Yeah. I don't want to "learn" how to fold up a cover. The NR packs down tight easy and fast. The NR is more opaque, which I expect to translate into less heat on the seats in summer.

So not huge things, but I see no advantage to the EZ-Tour and it's double the price.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #21 of 21 Old Apr 29th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
The NR comes in a carrying case that is very easy to pack. The EZ-Tour is a huge pain in the butt to re-pack. They say you eventually learn how to do it better. Yeah. I don't want to "learn" how to fold up a cover. The NR packs down tight easy and fast. The NR is more opaque, which I expect to translate into less heat on the seats in summer.

So not huge things, but I see no advantage to the EZ-Tour and it's double the price.
I use the Z cover. Packing!!, it's a stuff sack. Just keep on pushing it in, NO FOLDING.

I have even packed it, when it was wet. Never a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in