Noise from Transmission / Clutch area - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Noise from Transmission / Clutch area

Just got back from STC. Spent the week riding and headed home today to West Palm Beach, FL. Stopped at my brother's place in Charleston, SC area and noticed a noise coming from the transmission / clutch area.

Troubleshooting so far:
Checked the final drive, no play / feels smooth.
Checked the transmission fluid: topped up / 2000 miles since last fluid change.
Sitting stopped with clutch in: no noise, engine smooth.
Coasting with clutch in: smooth, no noise.
When riding and engaging clutch noise appears.

Put up on center stand:

Engine Running
In neutral: no noise with clutch engaged.
In gear: noise appears - using a long screw driver to pin point the noise the transmission sounds quiet and the noise sounds like it is in the clutch area. Almost a grinding sound though.

Engine Stopped
In gear Clutch disengaged, turning back wheel, quiet smooth.

I have close to another 1000 miles to go to get home.

Any thoughts? Help? Should I ride it or get it trailered home?

It was a great week at Iron Horse. Rode about 2300 miles since last Saturday. This is not a good way to finish the trip.

Thanks
Norm

< - - - Norm Ruest - - - >

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
South Florida
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red
MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 4:58 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Noise from Transmission / Clutch area

Sorry Norm, that is a new one on me. If you are only hearing a noise and not feeling any driveline vibration, I would continue on but monitor it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 6 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 6:45 pm

I would check the input bearing in the tranny. My money says you'll find your culprit.

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I am startng to feel that the transmision bearing is the issue. I find that while riding it is worse while excellerating ordecellerating and almost negligable when up to speed. Now I need to find the confidence to tear it down. But first I need to get her home."

Thanks for your input

South Florida

MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 6th, 2011, 1:34 pm Thread Starter

Garage

The bike is finally coming back together thanks to my brother Rick. The issue ended up being the main bearing in the transmission I have this horrible guilt for having to leave it at Rick's after the breakdown and leaving this major tear down for him. But I am grateful that he has done this for me, more than I can say.

A huge Thank You also to John Zeiler for all the help, support, and guidance he gave with the tear down and reassembly and ESPECIALLY with the transmission rebuild. Not sure where we would be right now and I hope we didn't use up our "new friend" favors all at once but I owe you BIG time John. Your title of Wrencher Extraordinaire is no exaggeration. I think you could add Wizzard as well. you know how much you were there for us. Thanks more than I express in this post.

I leave this coming Saturday to fly back to Rick's house in the N. Charleston area and he should have the bike completely back together. I hope we can get in some riding together before I have to leave to business in the Columbia area. By that next Friday I should be on the road finally bringing the big girl home.

My apologies to Rick for him completely losing interest in actually owning a BMW after his first experience with the LT being to have to do a transmission removal. I think he has hopes of converting me to a HD Ultra Classic after this. But I love my LT.

But can't thank Rick enough on this one. Rick, you are the MAN (even if you do prefer HD) I'll be paying this favor off for a long time to come.

South Florida

MOA# 145086

post #6 of 6 Old Jun 6th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Nice post Norm...
You must have some good "motorcyclema" (thats like Karma, only "our" kind) I think it is for me, one the the best features of this site, that people are so willing to help each other out, I mean really go the extra mile..And you have a great brother that dug in and saved your LT "bacon". Good luck in the future, and stick with the LT. The others just don't realize what they are missing!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in