Newbie here - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 11:26 am Thread Starter

Newbie here

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forums. I currently tour on an 06LE hayabusa and have been thinking about getting a "strickly touring" bike. And since I've owned bimmers I thought I would look into a beemer. I've have been in communications with one of the the forum members here, rdog, in regards to him selling his 07LT in MA.

Luckly the local dealer had two used LT's in the showroom and was able to test drive one. It was definately alot larger bike, size wise, than I am use to. I'm only 5ft 5in and my busa is lowered. Needless to say I was able to get at least the front of my feet on the ground. I did drive it around a little but it felt very awkward at low speeds, espcially during turning. On the fly it handled well for a larger bike. I can definately see how comfortable it would be during long trips, feels like I'm driveing a couch compared to the busa.

After reasearching and crunching the number of how much it will cost to go and retrive the bike I'm in the decision stage at this point. I will probably know in the next week if things go as planned.

I am in Indiana by the way, so if there are board members that are in the area please let me know, I would like to meet some of you and see you beemers as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Re: Newbie here

Welcome to the fourm. A lot to read here. I was reading for months before I bought the LT. Be sure to visit the hall of wisdom too.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 19 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Will do. thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Welcome to the fourm. A lot to read here. I was reading for months before I bought the LT. Be sure to visit the hall of wisdom too.

post #4 of 19 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Some thicker soled boots might be in order...

Once you get a BMW, Any BMW, Those other bikes just don't measure up...

I went from an LT, My first BMW, To a CLC, RT, And a GS....

One for every style of riding.....

Go get that sucker and ride the snot out of it...Expect to drop it at least once...
Learn the correct way to pick it up before you drop it..
Always come to a stop with the front end straight..
When it buzzes at 4500 RPM, It's saying let's go !
It's the most fun beetween 5K and 8K rpm...
The rev limiter won't let you hurt the engine, So gas that sucker..
Twisties are best in second gear...You can run up and down from 25 to 85 mph in second gear...

Have fun..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 19 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstspeedster
Luckly the local dealer had two used LT's in the showroom and was able to test drive one. .
Did you ride the 02 or 07?

willow

09 K1200LT
04 R1150R
07 K1200GT
post #6 of 19 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrpspd
Did you ride the 02 or 07?
I actually rode the 09 which I assume is virtually the same as the 07 that rdog has for sale.
post #7 of 19 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Smile Re: Newbie here

Welcome to the asylum. Lots of good people and info. My first LT had the low seat and worked very good for me. I'm 5'6" with 29" inseam. When I got a RT with a low seat I bought a pair of Doc Martins that somebody in this group recommended. On hind site I should have got a low seat for my second LT and kept it. It's a much more comfy ride two-up. Enjoy!!!

Jeff Johnson
2009 Forest green Invacare powerchair
2007 Blue/dark lowers R1200RT(smacked,fixed,sold)
2005 Dark Gray LT (traded)
2002 Silver LTC (deceased 07-05-2005 by SUV)
2000 H-D FLHTP-I Cop Bike (traded for'02 LTC)
1982 H-D XLH (sold in 2002 for cop bike)
1980 H-D Low Rider (stolen by low-lifes)
1977 Triumph Tiger (sold)
1973 Honda CB450 (sold)
post #8 of 19 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 8:37 pm

I'm another relative newbie to the LT. I bought my 99 last December. In two weeks, I start a 7,500 mile cross country trip, San Francisco to North Carolina and then back via Montana. Details to follow.

Michael

1999 K1200LT (recently sold, 6/11)
1992 Harley FXR
1982 Honda Sabre (long gone)
1978 Honda CB750K (long gone)
1975 Honda CB360 (long gone, stolen)
1969 Kawasaki 650 W2SS (long gone)
1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler (long gone)
post #9 of 19 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 11:37 pm

Garage

No one mention the LT has a seat adjustment.
At least mine does. I use mine in the high position. Did you notice what was the case on the one you rode. Or do the earlier models have that adjustment. Would that help?
ride safe
post #10 of 19 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 11:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstspeedster
. I can definately see how comfortable it would be during long trips, feels like I'm driveing a couch compared to the busa.
If you really want to check out a couch, try the Goldwing! The LT is definately a more fun ride...

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 19 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

Well looks like the hunt will continue, rdog took an offer on his 07 before I could come up with an offer. But I'm learning alot more about the LTs. being on the site now. thanks for everyones input thus far and in greeting me to the site.
post #12 of 19 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
If you really want to check out a couch, try the Goldwing! The LT is definately a more fun ride...
Not to bash anyone with a GW but I don't care for the looks of them but I'm sure they are comfortable though.
post #13 of 19 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 4:35 am

I'm 5'8" with a 28" inseam. John hit everything right on the head! Thick soles, carefully planned and executed stops (which will soon become 2nd nature, and wind her up nice and tight.

The 4500 rpm buzz is just the indicator that lets you know you are about to enter warp drive!

Ahhhhhh!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Some thicker soled boots might be in order...

Once you get a BMW, Any BMW, Those other bikes just don't measure up...

I went from an LT, My first BMW, To a CLC, RT, And a GS....

One for every style of riding.....

Go get that sucker and ride the snot out of it...Expect to drop it at least once...
Learn the correct way to pick it up before you drop it..
Always come to a stop with the front end straight..
When it buzzes at 4500 RPM, It's saying let's go !
It's the most fun beetween 5K and 8K rpm...
The rev limiter won't let you hurt the engine, So gas that sucker..
Twisties are best in second gear...You can run up and down from 25 to 85 mph in second gear...

Have fun..

John

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #14 of 19 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 5:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

There are more LT's for sale out there, here, E'bay and the Internet BMW riders Marketplace for starters. Plus you said the Dealer had 2, so keep looking.
post #15 of 19 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 6:33 am

Howdy from another hoosier

Falcone typically has an LT or two, as the GTL starts showing up (they're supposed to have their demo bike soon), I'm guessing there may be a few LTs that get traded in... maybe even mine!

The Indy BMW club meets at Shapiro's downtown (800 south meridian) at 8:30 every saturday morning. They won't beat up a 'Busa rider, I'll bet!

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #16 of 19 Old Apr 20th, 2011, 10:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diolach
There are more LT's for sale out there, here, E'bay and the Internet BMW riders Marketplace for starters. Plus you said the Dealer had 2, so keep looking.
Yes there are many but this is an 07 with 4900miles, no scratches,dents, etc.. for $13,000.00. From what I've seen its a pretty awful good deal...
post #17 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 9:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch102
Howdy from another hoosier

Falcone typically has an LT or two, as the GTL starts showing up (they're supposed to have their demo bike soon), I'm guessing there may be a few LTs that get traded in... maybe even mine!

The Indy BMW club meets at Shapiro's downtown (800 south meridian) at 8:30 every saturday morning. They won't beat up a 'Busa rider, I'll bet!
Well If I get a chance, I will ride down one Sat morning and meet some of you guys. Thanks for the offer.
post #18 of 19 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 10:15 am

Would you Indy guys mind if a fellow from Louisville, Ky. were to show up one Saturday morning. Would be a nice early morning ride.
post #19 of 19 Old Apr 24th, 2011, 10:32 am

This one is from the BMWMOA site. Looks like not a bad deal, and only one state away!

BMW Motorcycles:

2007 K1200LT
Year: 2007
Make: BMW
Model: K1200LT
Price: $16500
Description: Our loss is your gain! Health issues have made us make the heart wrenching decision to stop riding. This beautiful Biarritz Blue 2007 K1200LT was purchased by us last spring and immediately had over $2000 in upgrades made. Everything goes. This bike has only 37,+++ miles. Besides the standard features such as electric windshield, heated seats, heated grips and the BMW radio with CD player and reverse and ABS brakes, this beautiful bike has been equipped with a heated Corbin driver seat and driver backrest. Amenities include a new BMW CB with 10 band weather radio and passenger key button (new BMW headsets and cords included). BMW Navigator II GPS, alarm system with remote which also locks the bags. It is wired for XM Radio (Roadie not included), also has PIAA driving lights & JPeg highway pegs. It also has a new removable trailer hitch, used about 4x. New Metzler tires (purchased last spring) have 4000 miles. Complete tune-up included oil & filter, air & fuel filters, transmission and final drive oil. New saddle bag liners as well as a small tank bag, Chicane tail bag & owners manual are included as well on this garage kept beauty. Are you ready to make this bike your own?!

willow

09 K1200LT
04 R1150R
07 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in