Help in Fredericksburg,TX. Shifter broke - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

Help in Fredericksburg,TX. Shifter broke

Anyone have any ideas for a roadside repair for broken ball stud on shifter linkage? Mine broke this evening and it was too late to call dealer this evening. Hoping the dealer in Austin has parts in stock. Just need to figure out how to get there as I'm in second and it's almost 70 miles away.
Anyone have any temp solutions?
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Re: Help in Fredericksburg,TX. Shifter broke

Good point on the cell.
### ### ####
I knew I needed the spare parts but as I just bought the bike last weekend, hadn't got around to outfitting with all the necessities. Any ideas or input is appreciated guys.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

Last edited by DaveDragon; Apr 16th, 2011 at 12:26 pm. Reason: remove phone number
post #3 of 20 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 8:32 pm

I have read where guys have been able to get it in third and cripple home that way. Not sure how they did it though... I hope you get it worked out.

Wade
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 11:03 pm

when mine broke, I put it in 3rd and made it into a larger town. Wife was with me, yet still very little problem starting or running at 50-55 mph. Had one of my riding buddies move out ahead when approaching stop signs etc., to guide me through them, and just slowed way down when coming to red lights, stalling until they went green. Really wasn't a problem.
post #5 of 20 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 12:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmoss
I have read where guys have been able to get it in third and cripple home that way. Not sure how they did it though... I hope you get it worked out.
I'm one that it happened to in 2nd gear/2-up. Use my needle-nose vise grips to get it into 3rd with the remaining shaft still attached to the linkage and with a little clutch (probably a heck of a lot less than Dan did at the ride like a cop course) I traveled 50 mph in 3rd for 45 miles home. Slow down at lights as much as possible and as long as you have some forward momentum the clutch will forgive you... it's when you come to a stop is when it really bites and you shed tears as you work the clutch in pulses to get going.

2012 K1600GT

post #6 of 20 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 12:53 am

Garage

Bill what happened?
Were you able to get going ? Did it completely break off or it just was hanging where it could not do the job. I been wanting to put a tool kit under my seat. Kept tools in my Goldwing never had to use them. Well let us know how you managed.
ride safe
post #7 of 20 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 6:39 am Thread Starter

Nothing yet, waiting on dealer to open Saturday morning to see if they even have the part. I'll either rent wheels to get there(80 miles away) or try it in third, or possibly with the help of Woodbutcher (on twtex.com forum member from Austin) pay the dealer for the part and he'll run it out to me.
I'll post up after it all works out and what I end up doing.
Thanks, Bill
post #8 of 20 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 7:11 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

PM Sent with help info.

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 20 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 9:14 am

On mine when this happened, the ball stud had not broken, but had spun out on the threads. I was able to use the allen wrench in the tool kit to remove the plate holding the shifter, thread it back in and reconnect everything. Once I got home, I did it again and put loctite on the stud. Has held well ever since.

Ross
K1200LT (99)
post #10 of 20 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 10:50 am Thread Starter

Got bike in third and made it in to Lonestar in Austin. Great service here and a great bunch of guys to deal with. Being repaired as I post. Thanks for advice and offers for help!
Bill
post #11 of 20 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
Got bike in third and made it in to Lonestar in Austin. Great service here and a great bunch of guys to deal with. Being repaired as I post. Thanks for advice and offers for help!
Bill
Great news Bill !!!
Yes Lone Star "IS" top notch. I just left there about 40 minutes ago , sure wish I would have know you where there I would have bought you a free cup of coffee.

Stevie Shreeve
post #12 of 20 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Garage

That's just great news Bill.
I know you have your hands full now plus starting to unwind from the whole episode. But if you don't mind can you elaborate anymore on the ride in 3rd gear, any problems or anxious moments that might help someone in the future.
ride safe
post #13 of 20 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
That's just great news Bill.
I know you have your hands full now plus starting to unwind from the whole episode. But if you don't mind can you elaborate anymore on the ride in 3rd gear, any problems or anxious moments that might help someone in the future.
ride safe
Bill I can answer that as I also have had to do this.
First it is a little harder to take off from a dead stop in 3rd. You just have to slip the clutch & get the RPM's up. After that just keep your speed between 40 & 65 & you are good to go. I rode mine only about 10 miles as I did a roadside fix with zipties & wire to put the shifter together. I was about 60 miles from home when mine broke. The fix held till the last 10 miles & it broke again in 3rd gear so I just rode home in 3rd

Stevie Shreeve
post #14 of 20 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 8:21 am Thread Starter

Yep, that pretty much covers it. Only thing I would add is if you're 2up it would be pretty tough. I was in a position that I could leave wife behind at b&b in town and rode solo to Austin (about 90 miles) and it really wasn't bad, these motors are really smooth at upper rpm's. Stop and go in town wasn't fun mainly because I was cringing thinking of how many miles I was taking off the clutch at every start. Probably tougher on me than the bike. Loaded or 2 up would be even tougher. Doable but a little tougher.
Thanks again Steve for the offer to help and advice,
Bill
post #15 of 20 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 8:54 am

I don't think taking off in third solo is any harder on the clutch than two up fully loaded uphill in first..
The clutch itself on the LT is very robust...Usually when it fails it's due to contamination..

Glad everything worked out for you..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #16 of 20 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 12:10 pm

When my shift linkage became disconnected last year, I was in 1st gear and couldn't shift up to any other gear, I managed to get home then wondered how to get to my dealer. As the ride was only about 10 miles away, I decided to drive it. I started out and reved it up to about 6-7k them pulled in the clutch and glided up and down hills until I slowed down to about 5 mph, then repeated the rev up, speed up, process over and over again till I arrived at the dealers. I am sure some of the motorists beside thought I was losing it, but it got me there. The linkage had come off of the shaft and no parts were missing. Cost me about $100.00 to have it put back together. So far it still works fine.
Just got the new odyssey battery in last weekend and on my first ride, I can hear the brakes squealing. Anyone got a fix for the brake squeal? Bike has only about 12k mileson it.
Cheers,
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #17 of 20 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
when mine broke, I put it in 3rd and made it into a larger town. Wife was with me, yet still very little problem starting or running at 50-55 mph. Had one of my riding buddies move out ahead when approaching stop signs etc., to guide me through them, and just slowed way down when coming to red lights, stalling until they went green. Really wasn't a problem.
That's what I had to do too. Hand shift it into 3rd. I rode 275 miles to a dealer that way to get it fixed. Even though I carried parts, I could NOT get the broken stud out without a damn drill!! Man, was I pissed.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #18 of 20 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Even though I carried parts, I could NOT get the broken stud out without a damn drill!! Man, was I pissed.
That's why I don't use Loktite on my shifter ball threads. One of the balls broke at STC this weekend & they were able to just spin the broken piece out plyers.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #19 of 20 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Gladiator,

In regards to your brakes, mine have squeeled since I bought the bike 4 years ago, new Carbonne Lorraine were squealing also. I just replaced them with new EBc pads a couple of weeks ago and for the first time my bike is silent....ahhhhh.

r

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #20 of 20 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 10:52 pm

I'm glad you were able to get it into third gear Bill and all is better...I need to go and check mine now.

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in