I Got Screwed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 5:14 pm Thread Starter

I Got Screwed

Just noticed this when I got home from work - a nice shiney screw found a new home in my almost new rear tire. UGH
Oh well - guess it's a new tire for me as I'm not comfortable with a plug.

I did some searching on here and opinion on plugs seems pretty split and comes down to piece of mind.
Safe riding all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 5:46 pm

Re: I Got Screwed

Had a plug hold at 140 MPH (on the FZ1) and lasted until the tire wore out, but do agree it's a peace of mind thing. What about a boot?

Oh, forgot to ask: did you get a courtesy reach-around with that screwing?
post #3 of 20 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 6:04 pm

Un-screw yourself and plug it .... JMO tho

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #4 of 20 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 6:40 pm

it happens, i had a nail in the rear tire, only 1500 miles on the tire. makes you mad but i wasnt comfortable with a plug either
post #5 of 20 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 7:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

On a new tire I might try one of those combination plugs/ patch from the inside gizmos I've seen at auto parts stores, or demount the tire and just patch it from the inside.

Motor On ,/'

post #6 of 20 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 7:21 pm

I once had a tire with a 1000 miles on it and picked up a nail. Put a tube in it, ran it till it was slick , no problems
post #7 of 20 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 7:24 pm

I know the feeling! As it turned out I just got pseudo screwed! Went out to climb on the bike and the front tire was low. Pumped it up, rode to work, rode it home and when I went to ride back to work the freakin' thing was low again. Took the truck.

My next day off I searched for the screw/nail/ cut, etc. Couldn't find it with a spray bottle of soapy water. Turned out to be the valve stem. When I had the front tire mounted 800 miles earlier I had the rubber stem replaced with a steel one. They put the steel one on with only one nut, no locking nut to hold it tight. Tightened the first nut and leak stopped. Installed a second one to lock down the first one.

Whew!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #8 of 20 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 7:38 pm

FYI Cycle Gear has a $20 road hazard warranty for tires purchased at their store. The ME 880's run about $200 installed so it seems worth it to me. I figure if I'm on the road I'll plug it till I get home and then get the tire replaced.

Really hope I don't have to use it.
post #9 of 20 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 7:47 pm

I've heard rumor that the Avons have factory road hazard warranty - no matter where you buy them.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #10 of 20 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 8:08 pm

I understand your concern re reliability of a plug, but if you are committed to a new tire, this would be an excellent time to practice plugging or your preferred on the road repair method, coupled with some cautious monitoring of air pressure for a few days. Of course, if you are not comfortable and have any serious riding planned this may not be feasible.

Ross
K1200LT (99)
post #11 of 20 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Highway pegs for 06 LT!

Hello..
Does anyone know where to get highway pegs for 06 LT?
post #12 of 20 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 12:13 am

Garage

I think the main thing is peace of mind. Plus BMW has the advantage for ease of tire change on the rear. If you pocket can handle it get the new tire. Take the almost new tire and see what you could get for it. Someone might get some use out of it in another venue. Perhaps on a smaller bike or what ever.
ride safe
post #13 of 20 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 4:12 am

Re: Highway pegs for 06 LT!

Search the forum for highway ottomans, jpegs, and mick o pegs. These are some the pegs available. None of these are cheap.

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogelphant
Hello..

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #14 of 20 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 5:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

I bought a Stop and go kit (http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp) and have had good results on my last 2 tires. I plugged them and rode them till they were worn out. Of course I really wish people where I work wouldn't throw hardware away so I didn't keep needing to fix tires. Your results might vary but they worked for me.
post #15 of 20 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 6:46 am

I wish that people where I work would throw away LT rear tires with a single hole in them si I could patch 'em and wear 'em out!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diolach
I bought a Stop and go kit (http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp) and have had good results on my last 2 tires. I plugged them and rode them till they were worn out. Of course I really wish people where I work wouldn't throw hardware away so I didn't keep needing to fix tires. Your results might vary but they worked for me.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #16 of 20 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 9:06 am

Quote:
Hello..

What kind of Highway Pegs?

I have a set of JPEGs and Highway Ottomans for sale in the classified section.

Cheers,

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #17 of 20 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 9:11 am

I would be happy to pay shipping and handling to 23456 for your rear tire.

PM if interested.

Thanks,
Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix
Oh well - guess it's a new tire for me as I'm not comfortable with a plug.

I did some searching on here and opinion on plugs seems pretty split and comes down to piece of mind.
Safe riding all!

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #18 of 20 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 1:29 pm

Quote:
Hello..
I bought highway pegs from Bob's BMW for a 2005 LT, Part No. HPK-1 $119.00
These clamp onto the rollover bar and fold in. There are not hidden and I had to remove the courtesy lights and cut away some of the plastic guard to fit on the roll bar. Nothing a small rotary cutter can't do quickly.

Bob's also carry the J pegs for $349, if you prefer hidden.

http://store.bobsbmw.com/ or you may need to call them at 1-800-269-2627, as I couldn't find the $119 pegs listed on their website.
post #19 of 20 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 7:29 pm

The first thing I'de do is put some bubbles around the screw, it may be a short screw and you dodge the bullet!
If it leaks I'de take the tire to your local tire dealer and patch it from the INSIDE.
Plugs are not the best permanent repair for bias ply tires.
I caught a nail in NC and had it patched.lasted 10 k more miles. I would ONLY consider an inside patch.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #20 of 20 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 9:13 pm

I put my 1st Bridgestone on last year after 3 Metz. Wanted to see how it would last and if maybe the cupping noise would be less. I made trip out to the Outer Banks and back with the new BTO and then went into the garage to ride to work. I seen a nail right in the center of the tire. I took it off and took it to the local shop that I have my tires put on at. They said what bad luck, They would not repair the tire as I expected. I had them remove it and I plug patched it with a Tech Tire patch. Its a plug and patch in 1. I'm not the least bit worried about the repair. By the way I been getting around 14 k miles on those Metz.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in