I think the dealer is B S'isng me - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 7:57 am Thread Starter

I think the dealer is B S'isng me

passed by the dealer to pick up a fairing screw clip. I mention to the tech that I flushed the brakes with a speed bleeder. according to him the job I did was not good, he said to properly flush the brakes you need a special equipment that they have that flushed a bigger resourveour tank on the left side of the bike, and it needed special fluid and the proper preasure to asure a correct brake fluid flush. I think this is bull but any comment is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 8:21 am

Re: I think the dealer is B S'isng me

BS!!!!! Flushed my brakes on an 06 twice with speed bleeders, they are permanently installed on my ride

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 8:28 am

For starters, try playing the cards a little closer to your vest. Second, and I agree with 'B.S.', I'd have to say the dealer is trying a little elitist, Euro-trash crap on you. I'd still use 'em, but I think I'd remember this encounter. $00.02.....................j

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 8:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by printman
passed by the dealer to pick up a fairing screw clip. I mention to the tech that I flushed the brakes with a speed bleeder. according to him the job I did was not good, he said to properly flush the brakes you need a special equipment that they have that flushed a bigger resourveour tank on the left side of the bike, and it needed special fluid and the proper preasure to asure a correct brake fluid flush. I think this is bull but any comment is greatly appreciated
I didn't go back thru your posts to see what year model your bike is, butt I wonder if the dealer tech is talking about the ABS system? Just a thought.
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 8:57 am

If in fact your bike is an '02 or later he is at least being partly truthful with you. Bleeding at the calipers in these systems does not reach the entire system. If you wish to know more you can look in the technical/HOW posts by Mark Neblett for a thorough discussion of this.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 9:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You do not need any special "stuff" to flush the brake system on ANY year LT. The factory manual does not require it. What the factory manual does require is a computer test of the system pressure rise times to check to make sure the system is still performing coreectly and that you did not introduce any air into the system AFTER you complete the flush.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by printman
YAH Yah, he is correct. Und you need zee special BMW brake fluid too or you vill die a gruesome death!

Although there is modicum of truth to what he told you - since air can become permanently entrained in the fluid and visually undetectable even after thorough bleeding - I wouldn't sweat it unless you are planning on road racing your LT.

Go out and do a couple of high speed panic stops in a deserted parking lot. You can feel it if it isn't right... if it isn't, let it sit a couple of days and bleed it again.

This stuff ain't rocket science. Sure, using BMW's system assures you that when you leave the shop you won't have any issues - except for a much lighter wallet.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 6:49 am

what about a vacuum bleeder? Those can be picked up cheaply at places like Harbour Freight. Have used them on cars and other bikes and they worked well. I pulled all fluid out of the reservoir refilled and then thoroughly bleed the brakes.
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay963
what about a vacuum bleeder? Those can be picked up cheaply at places like Harbour Freight. Have used them on cars and other bikes and they worked well. I pulled all fluid out of the reservoir refilled and then thoroughly bleed the brakes.
Garbage - nothing like using compressed air (and water unless the relative humidity is 0 percent) to pump brake fluid through a system. That's EXACTLY what you are trying to avoid.

Everyone bitches when their insanely expensive ABS servos fail - well, nothing like shooting yourself in the foot by going cheap.

Speed bleeders are NOT as good as the BMW system (since they store the brake fluid under a constant vacuum and do not use pressurized air to force it through the system) but they work well enough.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in