First 1200lt,50k miles. Time for plugs tune etc? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

First 1200lt,50k miles. Time for plugs tune etc?

Just bought first BMW bike, it has 50k miles. I would like to know what I need to do for maintenance. I did oil and all brake pads. Seems to vibrate too much for a luxury bike at idle. Are spark plugs at 50k needed? Anything for sure to check?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Re: First 1200lt,50k miles. Time for plugs tune etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsodt
Just bought first BMW bike, it has 50k miles. I would like to know what I need to do for maintenance. I did oil and all brake pads. Seems to vibrate too much for a luxury bike at idle. Are spark plugs at 50k needed? Anything for sure to check?

Thanks
Welcome -

Let us know what model year the bike is and help will be on the way. There are a coupla sources for maintenance schedules, butt they depend on model year. You might also check with a local area dealer; give them the VIN of your bike and ask if they'll do a history check on stuff that's been done at a dealer. Good luck, and stay tuned for help on the way!!
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 8:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the help earlier sir. Its a 1999 K1200LT. Just rolled 50k and I have owned 1 week. Being somewhat mechanically inclined I am worried I am hearing some valve clatter at lower rpms and thats one reason I am wondering if a valve adj is needed around 50k. There could also be some knocking as I used 87 octane to fill it up. Is 93 octane best?

Thanks

Bill

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Turn the stereo up.
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 9:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the help earlier sir. Its a 1999 K1200LT. Just rolled 50k and I have owned 1 week. Being somewhat mechanically inclined I am worried I am hearing some valve clatter at lower rpms and thats one reason I am wondering if a valve adj is needed around 50k. There could also be some knocking as I used 87 octane to fill it up. Is 93 octane best?

Thanks

Bill
I always use 93 octane. I think the owners manual states to. Come on down to Houston in a couple of weeks for a Tech Session. We'll help get you started.

Dan Martin
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 9:38 pm

Yes. You do need spark plugs for as long as you want the bike to run!!!! Replace them accrding to the schedule in the above posts.

As for valve clatter. If you hear it it's a good thing. Because of the design of the valve train the valves wear tighter over time not looser. Check the valves according to the schedule to insure that there is enough clearance to keep from burning valves.

Have a great time with your new ride. You're gonna love it!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 12:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwriderm
Turn the stereo up.
Earplugs.
Huh? What did you say? Can't hear ya!

Quote:
...some valve clatter at lower rpms...
Are you sure it's valve clatter? Remember, the K-bikes use a dry automotive-style clutch. It makes a racket at low rpm... basket of rocks.
They all do it...

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 5:02 am

Quote:

Thanks
Bill,
As noted in posts above, these bikes make nosie, injectors, driveline clatter (K-bike rattle), etc. BUT... BMW specifies a maintenance interval for these bikes. Just search this site for a maintenance schedule, or better yet, purchase a service manual. Many folks are happy with the Clymer manual for the bike.

In short, BMW calls for a "BMW Service" every 6,000 miles which is basically a crankcase oil and filter change. A "BMW Inspection" is called for every 12,000 miles. The "Inspection" calls for air and fuel filter changes, spark plug change, valve check and adjustment as needed, tranny and final drive lube change. Because removal of body panels (called tupperware around here) and removal of the gas tank is required, it makes sense to do all these items at the same time.

Coolant, brake, and clutch fluid changes are recommended annually for some model year bikes, longer intervals on others, I'm not sure about those differences, again, check a manual.

If the bike is new to you, and you don't know the service history, I'd suggest you do the BMW "Inspection" which will get you familiar with the bike and you'll know that all the service items are done.

HTH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in