Radio antenna for 2005 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 12:37 pm Thread Starter

Radio antenna for 2005 LT

I need to repair or replace the radio antenna on a 2005 LT. The antenna is not an exterior mount. It is interior located behind the back seat. Does any one know of a replacement antenna source? Experiencing very poor radio reception. My searches in this website gave information on exterior mounted units only. Your guidance or suggestions, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Re: Radio antenna for 2005 LT

There are a lot of "hidden radio antennas" for Harley Davidsons sold on ebay. I'd imagine one of them could be made to work. Here's just one sample ad:

HD Hidden Antenna on ebay

Jeff D

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 3:02 pm

Great post! I never thought about a concealed(out of sight) antenna for the am/fm radio. This would free up the existing antenna mount for a ham radio or FRS/GMRS antenna. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 11:34 pm

Garage

Newer knew that.
I always thought if I rode by a bike without an antenna it meant there just was no radio. Especially with the invention of I-pods, Cell-phones and other entertaining instruments. I have walked around the showroom floors and noticed mainly the full dressers are the ones with radios but they all sported an antenna. I will have to look at the earlier models closer.
Going back to the original post are you trying to stay with an internal or do you think an external one would be better since your complaint was about reception. Also behind the seat sounds like the original one was affected by heat maybe.
ride safe
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 12:01 am
Sit

I wonder if that hidden one will work very well. I would love to take that tall whip off of the bike. The hidden antenna would fit real well behind the passenger seat in that bit of space there when the trunk is moved back. With the antenna lead/plug right there it should still be easy to remove trunk when you need to. Hmmmmm................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 7:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Just a bit of caution on using an Amplified antenna. The reason it has an amp is that with that small an antenna the signal is very weak. So you need the amplifier to get it to a level the radio can detect the signal, unfortunately that also amplifies the noise and the radio then needs a very good signal to noise ration detector to work well.

Before I would take all the tupperware off I would want to have a test bed radio try it out first. Any old car radio would work for a test.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 11:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Just a bit of caution on using an Amplified antenna. The reason it has an amp is that with that small an antenna the signal is very weak. So you need the amplifier to get it to a level the radio can detect the signal, unfortunately that also amplifies the noise and the radio then needs a very good signal to noise ration detector to work well.

Before I would take all the tupperware off I would want to have a test bed radio try it out first. Any old car radio would work for a test.
+1. Given the wavelength of AM and FM bands, an antenna element this small will be an incredibly poor antenna. And, as stated, the amplifier will amplify a lot of noise in addition to the signal and, on top of that, will add its own noise and distortion. I would be VERY surprised if htis hidden antenna performed well at all, particularly in areas far from the radio transmitters.

If someone tries one, please report back your experience.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 11:10 am

Here is a post showing what I did on my 2000 LT http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...chmentid=20387
Got the anetnna at Crutchfield.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #9 of 14 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 10:58 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
I wonder if that hidden one will work very well. I would love to take that tall whip off of the bike. The hidden antenna would fit real well behind the passenger seat in that bit of space there when the trunk is moved back. With the antenna lead/plug right there it should still be easy to remove trunk when you need to. Hmmmmm................
Sit what is wrong with the whip antenna?
It does not look ugly to me. Does it get in the way? My Goldwing had 1 antenna and I went and bought another to balance out the bike. I know to each his own but any specific reason to hide it.
ride safe
post #10 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 8:17 am
Sit

Just dont like it. At the very least wish it was on the left side.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #11 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit
Just dont like it. At the very least wish it was on the left side.

I guess I am blinded by what I have. I never noticed any difference in LT's over the years. My antenna is on the left and so I thought they were all the same place.
ride safe
post #12 of 14 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 3:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCIowaLT
I need to repair or replace the radio antenna on a 2005 LT. The antenna is not an exterior mount. It is interior located behind the back seat. Does any one know of a replacement antenna source? Experiencing very poor radio reception. My searches in this website gave information on exterior mounted units only. Your guidance or suggestions, please.
I am not sure what you mean by interior mount. Both of my antennas, AM/FM and CB, attached to mounts that are bolted to the frame under the travel trunk and extend out each side from under the trunk. My antennas both work pretty well given they are on a motorcycle. A key thing is to ensure a good ground attached between the antenna and the bike frame. My CB even came with auxiliary ground straps in addition to the metal to metal contact and they REALLY emphasized having a good ground.

Do you have pictures of your antenna mount?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 14 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:17 pm

Re: Radio antenna for 2009 LT

I was wondering if anyone had anything new to add on amplified antennas or antenna replacement.

The 2009 (new to me last month) had some form of amplified / hidden antenna installed.

The thing works like carp... and he paid $300 on this "improvement"

SO is there anything new to add to a replacement antenna?

All the parts are missing by the way, no bracket left behind.

Thanks

Paul

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #14 of 14 Old Apr 9th, 2012, 12:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Radio antenna for 2009 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
I was wondering if anyone had anything new to add on amplified antennas or antenna replacement.

The 2009 (new to me last month) had some form of amplified / hidden antenna installed.

The thing works like carp... and he paid $300 on this "improvement"

SO is there anything new to add to a replacement antenna?

All the parts are missing by the way, no bracket left behind.

Thanks

Paul
I almost never use my radio and am strongly contemplating removing mine, Paul. Is a PITA when covering/uncovering the bike. My be easier to just put a grommet on the different covers i have for the old gal. If I remove it, however, will make you a heck of a deal. Should have it worked out around the end of the month/erarly next, when I strip her down to change the clutch, slave, air filter, etc, etc.

If I remove it, will let you have it for a song (and if you sing as badly as I do, will be a very short song for the benefit of all humanity!).

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in