you guys are scaring me off!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 12:14 pm Thread Starter

you guys are scaring me off!!

Hi, I've been looking for a touring bike, after years on a harley dyna. I've ridden the LT which we both liked. I'm hearing so much about low speed tip overs and touchy front breaking, I'm seriously rethinking my choice. any words of advice? I don't want to end up on a 'wing. thanks, Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 12:22 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: you guys are scaring me off!!

The LT like any "new to you" bike takes time to adjust to.
Yes it is a big pig of a bike but it is easy to get use to.
Yes it has a "high Center" of gravity but it is easy to get use to.
Yes at parking lot speed the brake are a little "touchy" but it is easy to get use to.
I've had mine for 6 years and over 60K miles of PURE enjoyment , And yes it is easy to get use to.
Just ride the LT with you SO to see if it "IS" the bike for you.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 12:30 pm

I did have one tip-over very early in owning my LT. Since then, it has only been a matter of understanding the feel of things. Have not a single issue since that first one. It is not like the bike is fighting you all the time. As for the braking issue... I did adjust the front brake lever just a bit so that I wasn't grabbing too much brake at parking lot speeds. This still leaves plenty of brake lever when I need it. Go for it!!

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 1:41 pm

the + far outway the -

I love mine

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #5 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrom999
Hi, I've been looking for a touring bike, after years on a harley dyna. I've ridden the LT which we both liked. I'm hearing so much about low speed tip overs and touchy front breaking, I'm seriously rethinking my choice. any words of advice? I don't want to end up on a 'wing. thanks, Al
If your legs are long enough (29" or so inseam) should have no issue.
My suggestion would be to go to your local dealer and take a nice long test ride and see how you like her. Bought mine the same day I test rode her 300 miles!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #6 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 1:55 pm

I've only droped mine once and that was on a rock road that narrowed and was slopeing and my wife's big head was turned looking at a cabin while I was trying to do a walking turn around. That's once in 5yrs.
post #7 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider
the + far outway the -

I love mine
What Jim (loansumrider) said......

Jeff D

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)
post #8 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 2:10 pm

Quote:
Yet with everything you read on this forum 99% of us wouldn't give up our bikes.

If you go read the other brands forums you'll quickly see many of the same issues or variations thereof.

People here share their knowledge and there is a wealth of knowledge to be learned if you so choose yup we piss and moan about somethings I don't know about you but I would rather hear that then the sound of silence this is a great community take advantage of that fact

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #9 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 2:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
The LT like any "new to you" bike takes time to adjust to.
Yes it is a big pig of a bike but it is easy to get use to.
Yes it has a "high Center" of gravity but it is easy to get use to.
Yes at parking lot speed the brake are a little "touchy" but it is easy to get use to.
I've had mine for 6 years and over 60K miles of PURE enjoyment , And yes it is easy to get use to.
Just ride the LT with you SO to see if it "IS" the bike for you.
+1. I am on my second LT, my first was a 99 LT I stupidly sold with 77K on the clock in 2002. Loved every mile, I now have an 09 and love it even more.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #10 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 2:43 pm

If you want to insure that you never drop your bike, buy a 300lb scooter! The LT is as heavy as any other large tourer, but it's center of gravity is higher because BMW wanted the bike to PERFORM!!! I would bet it will out corner either the ultra or the wing easily. I came off a GL1800, and have not been intimidated one bit by the size and weight of the LT. I was however very impressed how the pounds just melt away once you get the LT rolling. I consider it to be the most fun-to-ride bike available in its class. You just need to respect its weight while stopped.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 2:46 pm

In 2007 I rode a LT to Alaska........One of the most fear/stress full trips I ever took and it was not the bikes fault. It was this forum and all the horror stories posted here. lol

The LT rode flawless, and it was 99 with 30k on when I started the trip. Do not read into the posts. My 99 ended up being the best bike owned and wished I never sold it.

The reason I am on a wing now is because of $$$ reason. The person I bought the bike from is the owner of the school I teach at and he taking half payment by me teaching, so I only had to get half the loan, so the payment was under $100. So me wife was happy with payment, and I happy with a motorcycle.

The wing and LT are a beast at low speed. The both weigh a ton, and both get that little wiggle in the front at low speed. Practice low speed drills will give you confidence

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #12 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 2:54 pm

I've had mine go over X3 since I bought her. 2X because I was not paying attention and the third time I got blown over when the back end of the bike cleared the end of the upwind pickup in a parking lot. That big top case makes a nice sail! All three drops were at a complete stop. Once your foot clears the ground from a start she is as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar.

Total damage for three drops? $0.00.

The front brakes at low speed? I use 'em all the time and never think about it. The brakes are not touchy or twitchy but they are EXTREMELY effective at ANY speed. You do want to be vertical when she stops or she'll tuck under and go down. Just pick her up and carry on.

The low speed handling issues are just something you need to be aware of. No need to let them ruin your life. The trade off is a big, powerful, agile, comfortable motorcycle that is an absolute hoot to ride. She really churns out the miles, as would a GoldWing. One of my favorite differences is when you walk out into the parking lot it doesn't look like 25 other bikes in the lot.

One last thought. The purple ones are the prettiest and also the fastest. Don't let anyone try to tell you differently!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #13 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 3:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
If you want to insure that you never drop your bike, buy a 300lb scooter!
Ha! I drop my 30 lb BICYCLE all the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
The LT is as heavy as any other large tourer, but it's center of gravity is higher because BMW wanted the bike to PERFORM!!! I would bet it will out corner either the ultra or the wing easily. ... I was however very impressed how the pounds just melt away once you get the LT rolling. I consider it to be the most fun-to-ride bike available in its class. You just need to respect its weight while stopped.
What he said is pretty much the same as I would say. I dropped mine once (so far) when I was trying to push it around on the uneven brick sidewalk in my back yard. When I'm on the road I just don't have to worry about it and I don't think you will either.

Custom sig temporarily unavaiulable while I think about it.
post #14 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 3:49 pm

I've dropped mine once. Was doing a slow speed U-turn when a riding buddy cut in front of me. Tapped the brake and down she went. Not a big deal.
I ride with a lot of sport touring bikes, and none can outrun the LT except at top speeds. It's the best handling, most comfortable bike you'll find out there, in its or any other class.
Having said that, if you think the LT is going to be a problem for you, consider the FJR, Concours, RT, etc.
post #15 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 5:05 pm

Quote:
I recently transitioned from a Harley Road King to the LT, as mentioned above the BMW brakes are much more sensitive and effective than the harley brakes, just be careful when going slow. The lower handle bar height also reduces your leverage somewhat. However once you get it rolling it is a blast to ride, it tracks very well on rough roads and goes where you point it.
post #16 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 5:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Don't let this concern scare you off. I just got back into riding after 20 yrs. I never had a real big heavy bike. I am 5'7" and have had a couple of close calls but haven't dropped it. Just be careful and adhere to all the advice previously mentioned and you wont have any trouble.

The advice in the archives on this site has helped me tremendously. Slow speed turns, keeping your head up and look straight ahead when coming to a stop and many more. Go through this site, practice, be careful and you will love it!!

David

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #17 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Like many others have said, mostly rear brake in parking lots and slow speed situations, and try to do final (read real low speed) braking while straight up. Came to this bike from an FJR and was a bit imtimidated by the size/weight, but now each time I look at it, it seems to get a little smaller. The more you ride her, the more you understand her and before long you'll completely forget her size and be riding like whatever you're on now.

2012 F800GS
2009 K1200LT
2009 Honda 1300P (old work bike, traded for stripes)
2007 Yamaha FJR (traded for 1200)
2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000 (traded, luckily)
2005 Yamaha FZ1 (traded, stupidly)
2005 Suzuki GS500SF (gotta start somewhere)
post #18 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 7:55 pm

i used to own a heavy yahama and i dropped that a couple of times. dropped the beemer a couple of times also. As someone else posted when you visit these sites you always hear the problems that all bikes have, so dont let that discourage you away from a great bike
post #19 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 9:22 pm

I sent you a PM.
post #20 of 38 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 10:15 pm

I'm 5'7 and a 1/4. 28 inseam. First week after I bought this bike, I thought I had made a mistake. Lots of thoughts running through my head. This bike is too big for me, wife's gonna kick my ass for spending this kind of money, etc. But I stuck with it and glad I did. I still get a little frustrated working on it every now and then other than fluid changes. And why can't all torque screws have the same size bits. And so damn many. But, once the feet are on the pegs and the clutch is out, everything changes. Nothing handles and rides, or looks like an LT. Even my wife looks forward to the next ride. She's retiring the end of May, and we are looking forward to putting many more states on my little sig map. No regrets.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #21 of 38 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 12:57 am

Garage

I'm #21 post so ditto 19 times.
My '10 LT was preceded by '85 Goldwing so I am used to some weight and size. The big contrast is the handling especially on the highway (hey touring . . .) very impressive. Before I got it I had tried my buddy's original '87 K100LT and could not believe its lean angle in curves and its agility. That bike was an LT on a diet - - 500 pounds. One more thing it would fly speedometer reads 160 MPH. Anyway I asked him if he would trade an his answer NO! So the LT is the best hands down. The more you ride it the more you get used to it and don't want to give it up. Just make sure it fits right.
ride safe
post #22 of 38 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 8:00 am

As we used to say in the Navy..."a bitchin' sailor is a happy sailor".

There is lots of happiness on this forum.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #23 of 38 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 8:33 am

From the first time I through a leg over the saddle, I was hooked. I don't miss the loud pipes, and rumbling. It's a great ride and I hate it when I have to shut down for gas. The SO likes to stop a little more often so that helps remind me to hydrate...................Once you get used to the steering geometry, you'll be amazed how much fun the twisties will be............

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #24 of 38 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 9:33 pm

I am currently riding a 1994 r100rs. I am picking up a 2005 LT tomorrow and i am nervous about such a big bike too but the one i test rode was just so dang comfortable that i will deal with my nerves.
post #25 of 38 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 9:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I dropped my 1986 HD FXRS a few time. Once cause I forgot to put the kick stand down.

My LT has been down a few times; forgot to put the kick stand up while backing out of my garage.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #26 of 38 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 7:22 am

Pearls of wisdom on this forum.
My 2001 LT is the first bike I've owned since my triumph Bonneville in 1969. I bought the LT used and on impulse...love at first sight. When I started reading the forums--after I bought the bike--I was very apprehensive about laying her down. I bought Maximum Control by Pat Hahn and checked out all of the sage advice on this forum. Armed with practical how-tos and 'not-tos', I've been making it a point to practice low speed maneuvering at every opportunity. I live in Chicago, and low speed maneuvering during rush hour is a way of life! I also recommend Bob Hough's books. With this bike, or any other for that matter, you really have to put your head in the game before turning the key. All the pluses far outweigh the negatives of this baby. It is a joy to ride!

If I ain't drummin'...I'd rather be ridin'!
post #27 of 38 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 7:43 am

Fear not. I rode a Dyna Superglide for 11 years. Purchased the LT in November of last year and have found it to be an exceptional ride. The main thing I am concerned about is exceeding the speed limit. The big beast is so smooth and quiet I will be way over the posted speed limit and not realize it. At 100 MPH the radio is as clear as it is at 25 MPH.
I am continually amazed how the external speakers sound as if they are in my helmet.
Go for it................ you will not be disappointed.
post #28 of 38 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 4:01 pm

Just be sure to go in with your eyes open and know the costs and benefits. The LT is a wonderful machine once it gets moving and if speed and performance are important to you it can be a fine thing. I leapt into buying one that was admittedly a good deal but I have found the downsides outweigh the benefits (for me).
post #29 of 38 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 9:26 am

I don't think you're scared really, perhaps just apprehensive. I've had my 02 for about 18 months now and it is hands down the most delightful motorcycle I have purchased in the last 40 years. I didn't even test ride it; too scared. Trailered it home in the freezing rain and parked it for three days before I rode it; didn't even go a whole block before I was giddy. I use it to get groceries, play with the cars on the freeway, putt around on the back roads, and it seems to lose half it's weight at speed. Afternoon rides always end up being at least a hundred miles and it's the first BMW I've had that actually seems to have a soul. Riding in the rain is a delight and the bike seems to get physically smaller each time i ride it. I will never regret getting this motorcycle.
post #30 of 38 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky
I don't think you're scared really, perhaps just apprehensive. I've had my 02 for about 18 months now and it is hands down the most delightful motorcycle I have purchased in the last 40 years. I didn't even test ride it; too scared. Trailered it home in the freezing rain and parked it for three days before I rode it; didn't even go a whole block before I was giddy. I use it to get groceries, play with the cars on the freeway, putt around on the back roads, and it seems to lose half it's weight at speed. Afternoon rides always end up being at least a hundred miles and it's the first BMW I've had that actually seems to have a soul. Riding in the rain is a delight and the bike seems to get physically smaller each time i ride it. I will never regret getting this motorcycle.
Talk about parallels! I did the same thing...rode it after I bought it. Now I look for excuses to run errands...5 miles turns into 100! I make it a point to practice my low speed maneuvers in a local parking lot with every ride. Absolutely no regrets.

If I ain't drummin'...I'd rather be ridin'!
post #31 of 38 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 2:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just being aware of the slow speed manuvers your 90 percent there, low speeds and turning at first just dont touch the front brake,,, after awhile youll get comfortable and will master the front brake by feathering it while riding...matthew
post #32 of 38 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Quote:
Alrom...

Put all the negative to one side and listen to the Post's above...

I bought my LT last August having ridden an ST1100 for a few years and if I had listened to my mates I'd still be wishing !! Instead I'm lapping it up... I didn't test ride her at all, I just handed over the money, signed the log book and rode her the 120 miles home with the biggest grin I have ever had

It will do everything you ask of her and more, yes she is heavy but not to heavy to handle. The turning circle is big but so is your grin when out on the open road. I find my LT effortless to ride, I put her into a corner and she sails through them, I haven't found any bends to scrape the pegs yet but I will and she will lap it up... Every bike has a different character and the LT is no different but your GRIN will be

Chris
post #33 of 38 Old Apr 18th, 2011, 4:11 pm

Ah, the power of words!!!!

I've owned four bikes, This one is the best, by far.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #34 of 38 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 3:54 pm

There isn't anything out there to "replace" it with.

BMW...Best Motorcycles in the World...period.

The reason you see alot of bitchin on here is for the simple reason that, some people only come on here when they have a problem. Take me for example, I haven't been on for months, until I smoked my clutch and needed help from the guys on here to repair it myself.

Go to the GW forum...same shit. Put it this way, if you GAVE me a GW, I would trailer it to the nearest BMW dealer to see what they would give me towards a new LT.

Good luck man,

Brian
post #35 of 38 Old Apr 19th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Garage

Wuss!

Look at any Harley Forum and you will see Harley owners whining about this or that about their bikes. Everyone has the right to whine. BMWLT Owners are no different yet we all love our bikes.

I agree with what was posted earlier- ride the LT and you will throughly enjoy it- warts and all.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #36 of 38 Old Apr 21st, 2011, 11:37 pm

Dropped mine backing in the driveway once when tired and messing with the reverse gear downhill. The second drop was by taking it off the center stand when it never should have been put there on too much side to side off angle. So I dropped my Ultra in the driveway also. I'm going to blame it on my stupid driveway to make me feel better. It's going to happen with any heavy bike when you don't pay attention.

Every time I ride the bike I realize that it's the ride that makes this bike. It's much more fun than either of my Harleys were. Once you start moving the suspension and brakes keep the bike fun and as safe as you can be on a motorcycle. My wife is comfortable on the bike and likes to come along.

09 K-1200LT
formerly: HD Ultra Classic, HD Dyna Sport
and a long time ago: Ossa 250, Honda 350, Honda 305, Honda 160
post #37 of 38 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:39 pm

In February of 2010, I moved up to the LT from a 800cc cruiser (Suzuki Boulevard). Initially, I felt some apprehension about the size and weight. Now, some 25K miles later, I don't have any concerns about riding this beautiful machine. On my way to the Ozark mountains next weekend to let her have some fun. As others noted, just pay attention at parking lot speed and you shouldn't have any problems. Ride safe!

Darryl
2000 K1200LT, Champagne, "The First Lady"
2009 DL650, Silver(Fastest),"WeeStrom"
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (gone)
post #38 of 38 Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 4:15 pm

Since you are coming from years of riding the Harley Dyna, you will need to make friends with the LT. It has ABS brakes and as with all bikes with ABS, you will need to get the feel of them. I would recommend a trip to an empty parking lot and a little practice on your stops and turns and you will get it in no time.

I am 5 foot 4 inches and have a 27" inseam. I put the lower seat kit on it and the height is not a problem. I've been riding the LT for almost 3 years and love it. Hubby has a Wing but my LT is a keeper.

You should at least take a test ride and decide for yourself. The ride will convince you more than anything else.

Happy shopping!

~Stephanie
'03 LTE Anthracite, "Zelda"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in