wiggley fornt end - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2011, 9:38 am Thread Starter

wiggley fornt end

Hello there all, I just purchased a 06 k 1200 lt. I have been riding a HD for 5-6 years. I love the new bike. but noticed that at really slow speeds (like making a U-turn) the steering seems to be loose. Is this normal. You never know about a used bike. It does just fine at speed but turning at 2 miles an hour it is kind of loosey goosey. Any commets about this form you ex-perts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2011, 9:54 am

Re: wiggley fornt end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithkmb
Hello there all, I just purchased a 06 k 1200 lt. I have been riding a HD for 5-6 years. I love the new bike. but noticed that at really slow speeds (like making a U-turn) the steering seems to be loose. Is this normal. You never know about a used bike. It does just fine at speed but turning at 2 miles an hour it is kind of loosey goosey. Any commets about this form you ex-perts?
Its a weird feel alright she's really twitchy at low speed differently need to stay several steps ahead with low speed maneuvering.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2011, 10:12 am

The first impression I had when I got the LT (also have a Harley), was that the front end felt "mushy", as if there was a delay from my moving the handle bars to feeling the front end move. Is that more or less what you're feeling?
If so, I no longer feel that. I guess it's just a quirk of the bike and not an issue for me now. HTH.
Frank.

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2011, 10:28 am Thread Starter

yeppir mushy would be what i feel. It is better than it was a few weeks bakc. i was just afraid there was something wrong with the front end.
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 12th, 2011, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithkmb
I went from an '05 ElectraGlide Classic to an '05 K1200LT, what a differance in handling characterisitcs. BMW changed the rake and increased engine horsepower, among other things for the '05 and newer models. Also, LTs have a high center of gravity as well, low speed turns demand attention and forethought.
Read up on past posts, practice and you will get the hang of this incredible machine.
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 12:51 pm

99 to 04 was worse, learn to be really loose on the bars, using a death grip just makes it worse......
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Be sure the front tire has 40-42 psi and the rear about 50-52 psi. If the F tire has over 6k on it, it will be cupped, grind and slight wobble in slow turns and head shake @ 30-45 mph if you take your hands loose and hit a bump.
One big difference from my Harley was the winshield stays in place on a full fairing bike compared to one where the winshield turns with the wheel, different feeling.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #8 of 11 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Just wait until u ride in the wind, the fixed fairing is much more stable, a fixed fairing cannot steer your bike like a fork mounted fairing.
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 5:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Be sure the front tire has 40-42 psi and the rear about 50-52 psi. If the F tire has over 6k on it, it will be cupped, grind and slight wobble in slow turns and head shake @ 30-45 mph if you take your hands loose and hit a bump.
One big difference from my Harley was the winshield stays in place on a full fairing bike compared to one where the winshield turns with the wheel, different feeling.
I thought Metzeler had a max pressure of 50 psi so I would not exceed that cold.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I thought Metzeler had a max pressure of 50 psi so I would not exceed that cold.
50 is the max psi cold BUT I define cold as 85-90 degrees in S FL.
Would go below 50 if cold was 50 deg.
Ove 60 K aand no problems, I get about 15-20 K on the rear tire.....

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #11 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 9:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
50 is the max psi cold BUT I define cold as 85-90 degrees in S FL.
Would go below 50 if cold was 50 deg.
Ove 60 K aand no problems, I get about 15-20 K on the rear tire.....
Yes, cold means ambient temperature of a tire that has been sitting still for some time. So, it south Florida, "cold" would be 90 as you say and one should not exceed 50 psi under those conditions.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in