Seal leaking - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 5:30 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
DanMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Fulshear, TX, USA
Posts: 2,083
Seal leaking

Any bets as to which seal is leaking and making this mess. I removed the boot from the final drive and got about a half cup of oil out.

dan martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	327.6 KB
ID:	30999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	325.2 KB
ID:	31000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	31001  
DanMartin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 6:06 pm
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,957
Re: Seal leaking

The dark fluid would seem to be from the FD. I have yet to see dark fluid when I change trans. fluid.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 7:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,431
Re: Seal leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
Any bets as to which seal is leaking and making this mess. I removed the boot from the final drive and got about a half cup of oil out.

dan martin
No bets here, but with that much fluid you should be able to pull the FD fill plug and see if the fluid is low. That will tell you if it is the FD or the transmission and won't take long.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 8:58 pm
Senior Member
 
PhillWard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 342
Re: Seal leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
Any bets as to which seal is leaking and making this mess. I removed the boot from the final drive and got about a half cup of oil out.

dan martin
G'day Dan,
That is some horrible looking crud you have over yer rear wheel and FD...(brrrrrrrrrr shudder shudder)...

I noticed a couple of drops of oil coming the rear rubber boot on Beryl Beemer wayyyyyyyyyyy back when she was still in the infant school...turned out to be the final drive pinion seal that was allowing FD oil back into the transmission tunnel...but nothing like what your pix indicate...was this a single day that this has happened or over a couple of weeks...(brrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...shivers at looking at all that crud) hahahha

BTW the pinion seal was something like $A8 and labour about $A300, plus oil


cheers

Phill
19XX BSA 125cc "racing" Bantam
1950 Sunbeam 500cc S7 Combo
19XX Royal Enfield 500 J2 combo
19XX BSA 500cc single B33
1960 Triumph 650cc Tiger 110
1970 Honda 750cc four K1
1975 Triumph Trident 750 triple
1978 XS1100E 1100cc "The Tardis" (ret)
1999 K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ulysses 18430
PhillWard is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 9:02 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
DanMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Fulshear, TX, USA
Posts: 2,083
Re: Seal leaking

It is definitely the trans output shaft seal. Transmission was 300ml low on oil.
FD was full. I changed out the seal a few months ago. Parts diagram calls for a 25x40x6 seal. My source (Applied Industrial) did not list that size.
They had 7mm wide. I figured close enough. Wrong. Got the right one on order from BMW now. Will go back in and change again.

dan
DanMartin is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 9:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
DanMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Fulshear, TX, USA
Posts: 2,083
Re: Seal leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillWard
G'day Dan,
That is some horrible looking crud you have over yer rear wheel and FD...(brrrrrrrrrr shudder shudder)...

I noticed a couple of drops of oil coming the rear rubber boot on Beryl Beemer wayyyyyyyyyyy back when she was still in the infant school...turned out to be the final drive pinion seal that was allowing FD oil back into the transmission tunnel...but nothing like what your pix indicate...was this a single day that this has happened or over a couple of weeks...(brrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...shivers at looking at all that crud) hahahha

BTW the pinion seal was something like $A8 and labour about $A300, plus oil


cheers
That is several months of crud. I am not much on washing the LT. Rather ride.
DanMartin is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 9:11 pm
Senior Member
 
Lee510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Newton, NC, USA
Posts: 2,320
Re: Seal leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
The dark fluid would seem to be from the FD. I have yet to see dark fluid when I change trans. fluid.
You didn't see what came out of the '05 a couple weeks ago. At nearly 16,000 miles, I doubt it had ever been changed since the 600 mile service, if a dealer does that then. Lots of "smudge" on the magnet. My FD fluid is never that dark. I change it when I change the engine oil at 5000 mile intervals.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
Lee510 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 11th, 2011, 9:16 am
Senior Member
 
Chipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA
Posts: 492
Re: Seal leaking

Dan don't forget to change out your rear brake pads.

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
Chipper is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2011, 7:53 am
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: singapore, , singapore
Posts: 35
Re: Seal leaking

Sorry to perhaps digress.
Just bought a 2009 LT 3 months ago. Put in about 2000 miles on it so far. When just bought, the oils were changed by a mechanic. Out of curiosity I checked the final drive fill plug by opening it and noticed the oil was stained. Changed it and the magnetic plug was chockful of metal fragments. Just redid it today after about 500 miles and still with the crud. Am I to be worried. The bike was previously hardly ridden for perhaps about a year. Mileage now is about 28000 miles.
Should be very concerned. Plan to change / check the FD oil again in about 500 miles.
krider08 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 12th, 2011, 9:31 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,439
Re: Seal leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by krider08
Sorry to perhaps digress.
Just bought a 2009 LT 3 months ago. Put in about 2000 miles on it so far. When just bought, the oils were changed by a mechanic. Out of curiosity I checked the final drive fill plug by opening it and noticed the oil was stained. Changed it and the magnetic plug was chockful of metal fragments. Just redid it today after about 500 miles and still with the crud. Am I to be worried. The bike was previously hardly ridden for perhaps about a year. Mileage now is about 28000 miles.
Should be very concerned. Plan to change / check the FD oil again in about 500 miles.
Kelly - on your description, things don't sound too good. However, there is nothing better than a picture of your drain plug, coated as it comes out of the final drive. The final drive experts here can usually make a reasonable 'best estimate' once they've seen that. I do know that if you see fragments/slivers of shiney metal among the film of fluid and smoodge - distinct probability that something in the final drive needs attention. I'm wondering why the mechanic who changed the fluid didn't find the same results as you did, on the drain plug. Stay tuned for an experts opinion, and good luck.
Dick is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R1200GS Fork Seal Leaking niobium GS Series 5 Feb 14th, 2009 3:22 am
To fix leaking trany seal or not? BecketMa K1200LT 8 Dec 9th, 2008 11:04 pm
Shaft seal pulling made easy Schweintechnik K1200LT 4 Aug 6th, 2007 6:21 pm
Tranny Seal Leaking....Again! DaddyDukes K1200LT 2 Jun 22nd, 2007 11:25 am
Leaking Fork Seal rglassma K1200LT 7 Apr 18th, 2007 8:50 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome