pre 2005 seat pans - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 9:07 am Thread Starter

Question pre 2005 seat pans

i thought that all pre soft touch /05 seat pans are the same. i already made the mistake of ordering a late model seat for my 2002. i like the look but does not fit the body work.

i ordered an earlier model seat that also fits even worse it gets hung up on the brackets
for the side panel & does not even come close to fitting . i dont want to cut the bodywork or the frame mount does anyone have a picture or some info to help me make one work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:02 am

Re: pre 2005 seat pans

I'm kinda confused here with exactly what question you're asking - but I'll give it a shot... here's a quick rundown, maybe this will help.

99 to 04 seat pans were wider and made from a very hard plastic, they had numerous other subtle differences from 05 and up pans as well:

1. Rivets were used to attach the vinyl instead of staples.

2. The adjusting bar on the bottom had more space between the high and low settings.

3. The H shaped hold down clip on the back had correspondingly more space.

4. The taper toward the front of the seat was wider, making it a bit harder to get your feet closer to center line at a stop.

5. The foam is softer and thinner.

6. The foam is shaped differently

7. The lumber support is thinner, so that you sit a bit farther back in the seat.

8. The vinyl has a grain.

9. They were only available in black, not gray.

10. There was no stitching in base of the seat cover.

11. The design of the bottom of the pan was completely changed in 2005 and later years to allow it to sit lower in the frame, effectively slightly lowering the overall seat height on either the high or low setting.

11. "Soft Touch" seats were only available as an option, since about 2009 ALL seats supplied by BMW were "Soft Touch".

12. The pan material was switched in 05 to what I call a "fibertech" material and staples were used to attach the vinyl. Some were a greenish color while others were black.

13. "Soft Touch" seats - no matter what year - are kind of a cruel hoax. The only difference between them and a standard seat is a 1/2" layer of VERY soft polyurethane foam that makes it feel more plush when you touch it from the top with your hand. It does absolutely nothing to make your butt more comfortable since it compresses completely flat as soon as you sit on it.

14. 99 to 04 seats and 05 to 10 seats cannot be easily switched back and forth since there will be some interference with the plastic side panels, which will need to be hacked in order to get a snug fit. There is no difference in the side panels or frame, it is all in the design of the pan. I no longer make specific recommendations exactly how to do this since the end results are usually pretty ugly - no matter what your skill levels - and I don't want to be blamed for ruining someones bike. (It's happened...)

15. All of the passenger seats and trunk backrests are identical from year to year.

16. 99 to 04 seats are considered to be a bit more comfortable seat since they are wider and offer some lateral support. Pretty much all of them are not suitable for riders above around 200 lbs. since the foam compresses easily.

17. The change in design in 05 is attributed to many potential purchasers complaining to dealers in the showroom that they could not reach the ground easily even on the low setting. It looks like BMW has dramatically over compensated this with the new GTL and offers a high and low seat, but my bet is they will both be very uncomfortable as usual - and a big thank you to BMW!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Apr 10th, 2011 at 10:09 am.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: pre 2005 seat pans

i am talking about the recess in the pan for the body work. i bought an older version
they said it was from a 02 also but i does not fit either. my stock seat has part#2309565-3014 the other has 7658484-1936 . it sucks i now have two heated seats that dont fit
& my stock non heated that does

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:41 am

There were two styles seat pans. 05 and up and 99-04. Maybe they made a mistake.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:44 am Thread Starter

i have three seats & they are all diffrent pans thats why i am confussed
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 12:58 pm

I have a full set off my 2002, I'll check the #'s, see what the part# is. They are heated and sitting in the basement for the last 6 years. Maybe we can figure what part # you need.
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 9:42 pm

I had an '03 LT with a stock heated seat(s). To me the driver's seat was pretty good and my wife thought the pillion seat was great! Sadly that bike was totaled out recently when I was rear ended in south Florida. I just purchased an '09 with a heated "soft" seat. Needless to say that seat is not going to work for us. We took a 300 mile ride today and we were both miserable. I thought I would just buy an early model seat and swap them out but according to this thread that is not an option, at least for the front seat. I really like the electric center stand but now I am thinking a wider harder seat is more important. Dang I wish I had my '03 back!
Ride Safely,
Steve

Ride Safely,
Steve

'09 K1200LT "Clyde"
'03 K1200LT (totaled out 3-16-11) "The Beast"
'97 K1100LT (104,000) "Red Ryder" (Sold Feb 2013)
'09 KLR 650 "Killer"
'05 KLR 250 "Lil' Killer"
'09 Kymco People 200 S "Wife's Trainer"
'09 Kymco xCiting 500i "Wife's next step"

It is amazing what a little "throttle therapy" will do for you.
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 9:11 am Thread Starter

figured out why i have three diffrent pans one is is the special low seat.that is 2 inch lower
needs side panel mods to work
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 17th, 2011, 10:37 am

Glad you got it sorted out.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in