Center Stand Pics - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 8th, 2011, 9:14 pm Thread Starter

Center Stand Pics

I have a 05 with the power center stand. Last fall it refused to lift the bike and me up. My brother, who is a really good wrench, and i worked on it over the winter. We took the motor to a starter shop. They took the motor apart, cleaned it, checked it all out and said it was good to go. We then moved onto the pump and took everything apart, cleaned it and put it back together. Long story short, It ain't working and I'm tired of messing with it. Can someone with a 99 to a 04 take pictures of their center stand so we can weld up what is needed to make a manual stand. Thanks Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 8th, 2011, 9:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Center Stand Pics

I don't have any to take pictures of but I would be intrested in having your old unit for a potential re-build. Also you could buy a used early center stand unit from a wrecker and it will bolt right up to the tranny just like the 05 frame does. That way you could always go back.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 8th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Don't know if you tried any of the repair solutions in the links. You could also search & find more.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizqu...STANDOVERHAUL#

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48253

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)
2014 Tour Balkans
2017 3 mth tour of Australia
2018 Tour Namibia,Botswana, Zimbabwe

2019 Tour Peru
2020 Tour Greece (Sept/Oct)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 9th, 2011, 12:12 am

Garage

I had trouble with my 06 with 28000 miles. My BMW shop sent the motor to a shop for checking, it was OK. I sent them the "How To" from this site and they replaced the fluid. Still not working. It turned out to be the controller, an electrical box that is only a printed circuit board in a water tight housing somewhere under the seat. They replaced it, for $173 and now it works.

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 1:23 am

Garage

Never retreat.

From some of these posts it seems like riders go from the manual center stand and upgrade to the Hydraulic. I understand you said you are tired working on it. If you are the one behind the original install you must have had a reason. If not you, then here are some considerations why a little persistence in getting it working might outweigh going back to manual.

The average LT is 800 pounds and getting it up on a manual c-stand more than once or twice could start wearing on anyone. What if you used it more than once a day or more than once a trip. Add up all those moves and the fact we get older everyday. There will come a point when you need it rather than just want it. Some people claim that bigger bikes throw out their hips.

But if you must I have seen on these posts many upgrades from manual to Hydraulics so one of them should have that part.
ride safe
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 12th, 2011, 1:19 am

I don't know that I would retrofit an older config, but I kind of like the balance and manual lift threshold balance of the center-stand, once you learn the leverage you'll ignore the side stand for all but getting fuel or the 2-3 seconds it takes to get off the bike. My 2000 lives on the center stand every time I stop... just do not trust the side stand.

I guess one less failure point keeping it simple.

2012 K1600GT

post #7 of 12 Old Apr 12th, 2011, 1:25 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_yancey
I don't know that I would retrofit an older config, but I kind of like the balance and manual lift threshold balance of the center-stand, once you learn the leverage you'll ignore the side stand for all but getting fuel or the 2-3 seconds it takes to get off the bike. My 2000 lives on the center stand every time I stop... just do not trust the side stand.

I guess one less failure point keeping it simple.
There is not more for me to add.

I can see from your milage and riding experience when not riding these machines reside on the center stand. I did it for the past 23 years with '85 GL1200 700+ pounds and did the same right off the bat with the LT( mine came with hydraulics) and what a difference it makes. As a matter of fact that was one of the reasons I was not interested in the GL1500 or GL1800.

Recently I read a post where the wind had blown these babies of the center stand so I had the chance to leave it on the side stand and watch it shake my first ride of the season. The cs is still king.
ride safe
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 8:38 am

If you do decide to go backwards and install a manual center stand, remember that you will need the grab handle.

My 2005 does not have one whereas my 2001 did.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
If you do decide to go backwards and install a manual center stand, remember that you will need the grab handle.

My 2005 does not have one whereas my 2001 did.
Now why didn't I think of that.
I rode a Goldwing for 20+ years and the grab handle was what the passenger held onto. I have ridden a K100LT and it had a black handle that folded down when not in use. So obviously a manual cs needs some leverage to get to that position. Chuck how will you fix that situation and is there any place on the frame you could get to to make it happen. Keep us posted if you go through with it.
ride safe
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 13th, 2011, 11:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Now why didn't I think of that.
I rode a Goldwing for 20+ years and the grab handle was what the passenger held onto. I have ridden a K100LT and it had a black handle that folded down when not in use. So obviously a manual cs needs some leverage to get to that position. Chuck how will you fix that situation and is there any place on the frame you could get to to make it happen. Keep us posted if you go through with it.
ride safe
I have a grab handle, but never use it. I use the handle on the side case since it helps me keep my back straight and get more leg into it. Several others have mentioned doing it this way too. Those side cases are tough.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
I have a grab handle, but never use it. I use the handle on the side case since it helps me keep my back straight and get more leg into it. Several others have mentioned doing it this way too. Those side cases are tough.
+ 1 here. I am also on the tall end of things and to have to reach down to get to the grab handle takes a lot more umpt. The saddlebag handle works great.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 14th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Garage

You learn something new everyday.

I did not think the case handles could support that kind of stress. But a couple of you seem to use that technic routinely so experience is the best guide. I wanted to lay my bike down on a soft blanket to see if I could right it back up by myself. Did not want to try it thinking the handle was too frail. Feel a little more confident. Thanks. Sorry this thread was about the center stand. How did I get here.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in