1999 1200LT Cruise Control - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

1999 1200LT Cruise Control

Hi!
Last year I sold my R1100RS and bought a "Preloved" K1200LT, but the cruise has never worked!! I have run all the test sequences mentioned in other parts of the forum and all appears OK.
When I switch it on, the red light comes on, and when I press "Set" at any speed the yellow "SET" light comes on in the dash - but it is just pretending and does not set the speed!!
Obviously it is not the end of the world, but it is very annoying!!
Any clues as to where to start diagnosing the problem would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Murray

P.S. Thanks to the forum for finding all my gears after a winter lay up - simple as cleaning the linkages!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Re: 1999 1200LT Cruise Control

Hope this helps but my 2000LT did the same thing and the cable between the throttle body and the cruise control actuator was broken. Some thing to check. Good luck maybe someone will have another possibility.
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 7th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Cool Re: 1999 1200LT Cruise Control

+1. If you pull the left side fairing off you will be able to see if the cable is in fact broken.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter
Hope this helps but my 2000LT did the same thing and the cable between the throttle body and the cruise control actuator was broken. Some thing to check. Good luck maybe someone will have another possibility.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 10th, 2011, 11:16 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
Took off the side panel and checked the cable, the bayonet type fitting to the cruise control unit was not properly connected, so I reconnected it and thought that might have fixed it!! Tupperware all reinstalled and have just got back from a 20 mile test drive, WITHOUT CRUISE!!!
I thought you had solved it for me, High Plains Drifter, but totally appreciate your suggestion - I think were in the right area!
Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Murray
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Garage

None of this is my Idea!

But if you read the post at the bottom of this page (Cruise Control OD with new cables) it speaks to your problem possibly. I read it just like I read yours out of interest. I know you said you have a '99LT and the threads all deal with around those years up to '03.

They all say it is a micro switch near those cables that is being activated or restricted by the bundling under the tupperware and the tupperware itself adding pressure to it when put back on. That is why it may work for you or the mechanic but when the clothes are put back on oops! there it goes again. The genius behind this trouble shoot/resolution is Mark Neblett he really gets to the meat of the problems and always with impeckable results. I think it is the #7 post in that article. See if that's your problem.
ride safe
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2011, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Thanks billsmith!
I had read those links, but I will read them again with renewed energy! I'm sure the answer is in there somewhere, just a matter of tracing it!! Just so annoying the amount of preparation with the Tupperware before you can touch the cables!!!!
I think I might spend my next day off in the garage having a Tupperware party - all welcome, just bring a wrench!

Thanks again,
Murray
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 11th, 2011, 9:54 pm

Garage

Let me lend some encouragement.

If I am reading the symptoms correctly it seems you are doing the right things. I know it might look ugly but is it possible to test ride before putting the plastic back on. A local short test ride plus turning the handle bars to left and right extremes and listen for that micro switch while in the garage I hope you get it. I think on the big bikes especially while touring cc is a must have.
ride safe
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 12th, 2011, 12:04 am

Murray,
The symptoms that you describe sound exactly like a broken cable.
I had the same thing happen to me last year. I'm riding along , and 'pop' the cruise control doesn't hold anymore.
If the "set" light comes on and stays on...until you disengage it by actuating a microswitch, like the clutch lever, front or rear brake, or roll off the throttle... then all the microswitches are working.
I think that it's a broken cable ( I could be wrong ).
The tupperware R&R gets easier and faster every time you do it !
post #9 of 12 Old May 7th, 2011, 4:34 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
Just returned from a holiday in Scotland (without bike due to taking my son!), and am continuing the pursuit of finding my cruise control!!
I have taken the bike out without the Tupperware (removal does get faster with practice!) and got the CC to work by pulling the CC cable at around 40mph - not much fun on twisty roads!!
Cable is definitely NOT broken, however, I had read somewhere that there is an insert in the metal sheath in the middle of the cable that aids in the removal of the cable, allowing the cable to be shortened by an inch or so when removed. This insert is missing and the cable is obviously quite loose, which may be the problem.
Having searched various diagrams and catalogues, including BMW OEM microfiche, I have ordered a part called a "Support", as I cannot find a proper diagram of the cable showing the metal sheath and insert. This part is out of stock at present, but I will await delivery and hope it is the correct part!!!
If anyone has any idea of what the insert should look like, I may be able to fabricate one!

As always, my thanks and appreciation to all those that are assisting me with my quest!!

Safe riding, Murray
post #10 of 12 Old May 7th, 2011, 4:10 pm

Murray,
perhaps this could be a little helpful.......
Check GP 32 for cables & 65 for the control unit.
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...&rnd=03252011#
post #11 of 12 Old May 7th, 2011, 6:25 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: 1999 1200LT Cruise Control

I'm sure you've checked but make sure the throttle cables have the required slack.
About 1 or 2 mm IIRC Not sure on the "99 year.
(Just looked it up 1 - 1.5 mm on a warm engine)
Correct cable runs under the plastic are critical.
Sounds like the missing part may be the problem.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Last edited by Hilton; May 7th, 2011 at 6:25 pm. Reason: Addition
post #12 of 12 Old May 12th, 2011, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: 1999 1200LT Cruise Control

YES!! YES!! YES!!
Fitted the little 1/2inch spacer/support in the middle part of the cable sheath (the metal sheath) and took her for a test run. Worked first time, didn't even need minor adjustments due to advice on free play given in this thread!
What a difference - I had almost decided that I didn't need cruise as I thought it may have needed a new control module!
My sincere thanks to all who felt my pain and assisted me in tracing the fault!

P.S. The part cost £2.60 (less than 4 USD) - not a bad price for cruise control!!!

Time spent once part arrived - strip off Tupperware, fit part, adjust, test ride and replace Tupperware = 1hr 15min!! As someone told me, it gets quicker with practice!

Once again, thank you!

Murray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in