notable differences? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 4:13 pm Thread Starter

notable differences?

I was wondering if there are many differences in the LT's in the years from 1999- 2005? I know a little about them, but curious what you guys know/ prefer. thanks, I own a 2003 k1200 gt now, and thinking of trading up,, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Re: notable differences?

I had the opportunity to ride both my 03 and my 05 LTs on the same day and the difference was not very notable. Power feels about the same, but low speed handling was a bit easier on the 05. The side stand leans more on the 05 than ealier models and my wife hates that when she rides pillion.
That about sums it up.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the help, i'm looking at an '05, what don't you get on the standard that you do on the LTC?

post #4 of 22 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by buellnowBMR
thanks for the help, i'm looking at an '05, what don't you get on the standard that you do on the LTC?
I am not sure what you are asking...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

i was wondering what options came with the LTC or LTE that the base model or standard doesn't have? thanks
post #6 of 22 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 5:39 pm

Without wanting to be rude, this subject has been covered in *spades* over many years -- there are literally scores of posts on the subject, all accessible with a simple search.

Indeed, the list of "likely related" threads at the bottom of this page contains a few, including: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49116

It would be far more efficient (for you too, as well as the rest of the community), if you read these readily available direct answers to your general Q, and then came back with any specific Qs that remain, which you'll find we will be happy to answer.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 22 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the help
post #8 of 22 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Sounds pretty rude to me. This ain't brain surgery, and we're not up on some high pedestal because we choose to ride a BMW. It's a forum where some have questions and some have answers and some just want to run their mouth and all of that is perfectly fine.

Everybody knows about the search function, it's not a secret that only a few know about. Most of us have been around on forums for a long time. It's a good place, but it's not a necessity of life. I'd like to think that at this very late season of my life the important things are my spiritual outlook, my family and my ability to still do lots of miles every week on my LT. I guess in that order and I thank God that I'm still able to have all that

Lots of us ride a lot and don't live on the forums. My thoughts are if you see something here and you have an question, ask it. If you have an answer, go at it and help out another member out. If you don't have either of those... move on to another post. But to take the time to remind the member of his obligation to use the search function seemed a little curt, and has been brought up way too many times. Get on that bike and ride somewhere - it'll be fun and you'll have a good time, and you might be in a kinder frame of mind afterwards. This is a forum... share something.

My thoughts, yours might vary and that's perfectly ok.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #9 of 22 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Obviously not received by all in the spirit intended.

I actually believe he will get a *lot* more info, a *lot* faster by going straight to the rich archive, than by waiting here for bits and snippets of old memories to be dribbled in by posters -- particularly when the bikes he is asking about were variations that were available some 8 or more years ago!

I don't know about you, but back in the day (early 2000's) I could quote precisely the differences between the LT Standard, Icon, Custom and Elite (which became "Exodus," after Honda raised a trademark bitch about use of "Elite") models -- and a few more variations -- by model year. That was 4 LT's ago -- there's no way I could remember the details with the ever-increasing CRS problems. Far better to refer the OP to *accurate* data than to fumble through today's memory.

As to my level of assistance to others, I've been on this list (and its predecessors -- how many remember E-groups? ) for more than 10 years -- wander a bit through the archives (sorry, couldn't resist that ) and check out a few of the 5000+ posts (used to be more; lost 1K-2K in counter resets over the years) and decide for yourself whether I've been helpful. I sleep ok at night, so I'm not gonna give it much more thought.

My interest is in getting the best, most accurate info to those that ask for it, as efficiently as possible -- either by directly sharing what I can contribute, or by referring folks to source info. Always have, always will. If you would rather folks have to ask a Q and wait for individual, incomplete and potentially inaccurate responses instead of having a polite referral to the excellent search engine on this site (a referral which apparently wasn't sugar-coated enough for your tastes), I don't believe I'm the one that needs to take a ride.

I'll leave to others the inevitable debate as to whether failing to consider searching to be rude, self-centered, lazy, etc. -- I've long ago recognized that you can't discern intention over an Ethernet connections, so I don't judge.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #10 of 22 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 10:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell
at this very late season of my life the important things are my spiritual outlook, my family and my ability to still do lots of miles every week on my LT.
Those happen to be my priorities, too.

Michael

1999 K1200LT (recently sold, 6/11)
1992 Harley FXR
1982 Honda Sabre (long gone)
1978 Honda CB750K (long gone)
1975 Honda CB360 (long gone, stolen)
1969 Kawasaki 650 W2SS (long gone)
1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler (long gone)
post #11 of 22 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Thanks for your help Mark and to everybody else that contributes, but for us newbies coming into a forum that has existed how many years? What is there to talk about or ask about that HASN'T already been covered a dozen times. I know your suggestion was well intentioned, but as evidenced by this thread alone imagine how many of these so called search related threads have gone off on wild tangents. It can be very time consuming trying to guess and read through "old posts". As a visitor to a few different forums it does tend to.... I guess rub me the wrong way when a "Long time user" tells someone "hey use the search button kid". I could be wrong but I'm guessing you didn't get 5000+ posts by only contributing to that which has not been previously discussed. Just my humble .02 worth.

Now on to Buell's question:

I have a plain '03 which has no On board computer, no powered center stand, no built in comms, no heated rear seat. Perhaps these are some of the things included in more deluxe models.

2003 Silver K1200LT

post #12 of 22 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 11:15 pm

When I bought my 05' they all were loaded, the only options were the GPS and a com system (voice II). You had two color choices Gold or Dark Graphite grey with either black or grey seats. That year they started phasing out the tool kits also. Changes from the previous model included more h/p, tranny gears and ratio, power stand, dash change, head light change, better shift lever, different rake in front, different front fender, rider seat change, tires from radial to bias. When I bought mine it had a pamphlet that listed all of the changes they made. Good luck on your search.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #13 of 22 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 12:47 am Thread Starter

thanks to all for your comments, i really appreciate the help.
post #14 of 22 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 1:29 am

It seems as if the link Mark to the time to find answers the question.

If I remember correctly, the reaction that Mark is rude is a local phenomenon, in the eyes of the beholder.

This wonderful site, with Andy's expertise and time, has been running so many years that we have information overload sometimes. Mark took time to find an excellent link.

May the slave cylinder, rear seal, and rear end demons only find you after you are in heaven.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #15 of 22 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 10:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Obviously not received by all in the spirit intended.

I actually believe he will get a *lot* more info, a *lot* faster by going straight to the rich archive, than by waiting here for bits and snippets of old memories to be dribbled in by posters -- particularly when the bikes he is asking about were variations that were available some 8 or more years ago!

I don't know about you, but back in the day (early 2000's) I could quote precisely the differences between the LT Standard, Icon, Custom and Elite (which became "Exodus," after Honda raised a trademark bitch about use of "Elite") models -- and a few more variations -- by model year. That was 4 LT's ago -- there's no way I could remember the details with the ever-increasing CRS problems. Far better to refer the OP to *accurate* data than to fumble through today's memory.

As to my level of assistance to others, I've been on this list (and its predecessors -- how many remember E-groups? ) for more than 10 years -- wander a bit through the archives (sorry, couldn't resist that ) and check out a few of the 5000+ posts (used to be more; lost 1K-2K in counter resets over the years) and decide for yourself whether I've been helpful. I sleep ok at night, so I'm not gonna give it much more thought.

My interest is in getting the best, most accurate info to those that ask for it, as efficiently as possible -- either by directly sharing what I can contribute, or by referring folks to source info. Always have, always will. If you would rather folks have to ask a Q and wait for individual, incomplete and potentially inaccurate responses instead of having a polite referral to the excellent search engine on this site (a referral which apparently wasn't sugar-coated enough for your tastes), I don't believe I'm the one that needs to take a ride.

I'll leave to others the inevitable debate as to whether failing to consider searching to be rude, self-centered, lazy, etc. -- I've long ago recognized that you can't discern intention over an Ethernet connections, so I don't judge.
Mark, this proves that no good deed goes unpunished!
Thank you for all the great technical advice you have provided on this forum . I know I learned a great deal from you and in turn I have tried to give back to our community by holding tech sessions at my house.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #16 of 22 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Mark, this proves that no good deed goes unpunished!
Thanks I learned a lot about people back when I was a mod and was on the BoD -- this was no biggie in my book.

We all try to do our best; some will be happy with how others contribute, some won't. As long as everyone keeps trying to help out, as my 18 yo would say, "it's all good."

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #17 of 22 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 3:47 pm

give a man a fish? or teach a man to fish?
I guess sometimes people don't want to lean and just want the fish and don't understand you're trying to help them help themselves when you say go to this forum or use look at the FAQ or use the search. You just can't please everybody. I learned a lesson by this too.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #18 of 22 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Blah, Blah, Blah. I have been utilizing this forum and have gotten much value from it for years. I think that any new owner of an LT would be better served and less belittled if they looked elsewhere at this point for advice. Maybe all those with thousands of posts and who know all the answers need to calm down. It is becoming a regular feature of this forum that new posters are either ridiculed or treated in a paternal manner.

Last edited by rkimmel2; Feb 18th, 2011 at 4:37 pm.
post #19 of 22 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
Blah, Blah, Blah. I have been utilizing this forum and have gotten much value from it for years. I think that any new owner of an LT would be better served and less belittled if they looked elsewhere at this point for advice. Maybe all those with thousands of posts and who know all the answers need to calm down. It is becoming a regular feature of this forum that new posters are either ridiculed or treated in a paternal manner.
Hate to keep feeding the drama.... I just don't agree with you at all! Mark is definitely one of many good guys and without his help on this forum, it wouldn't be nearly as great as it is. That's why I contribute back in the form of $$ to support as I can.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #20 of 22 Old Feb 19th, 2011, 7:35 am

That's OK and I agree that there are many good guys in this group and the information is often invaluable. I just think that when a new person posts, we all need to be more circumspect about our responses. It is presumptuous to assume that the new posters know how to use the forum or are adept at finding information on the internet. Not everyone has the time or inclination to make thousands of posts and read thousands more. If you look at some of the responses lately, I think it is undeniable that the forum is evolving into a too exclusive one and if you look at the responses to new poster in the last few months, I think a pattern emerges. A guy in California is accused of being a trol, one asks about tires and gets broadsided, and this one among others. Each thread ending with someone pointing out that the senior member who may have responded harshly is really a good guy. Of course he is a good guy. Not the point. The point is that there is absolutely no reason for this and that space on the internet is free and postings of no interest to one person can be ignored by that person but can be of use to another.

Once again, I have been camping at various BMW rallies around the country and more than once have heard our forum be denigrated as effete or snobbish when the label is undeserved.
post #21 of 22 Old Feb 19th, 2011, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
That's OK and I agree that there are many good guys in this group and the information is often invaluable. I just think that when a new person posts, we all need to be more circumspect about our responses. It is presumptuous to assume that the new posters know how to use the forum or are adept at finding information on the internet. Not everyone has the time or inclination to make thousands of posts and read thousands more. If you look at some of the responses lately, I think it is undeniable that the forum is evolving into a too exclusive one and if you look at the responses to new poster in the last few months, I think a pattern emerges. A guy in California is accused of being a trol, one asks about tires and gets broadsided, and this one among others. Each thread ending with someone pointing out that the senior member who may have responded harshly is really a good guy. Of course he is a good guy. Not the point. The point is that there is absolutely no reason for this and that space on the internet is free and postings of no interest to one person can be ignored by that person but can be of use to another.

Once again, I have been camping at various BMW rallies around the country and more than once have heard our forum be denigrated as effete or snobbish when the label is undeserved.
Hey, that is just about what I was going to say........well said!

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #22 of 22 Old Feb 19th, 2011, 12:34 pm

So... which oil should I use on my LT? Are the Metz better tires than the Avon?
I am not sure if this have ever been discussed and I don't want to read 100s of threads so I am asking the nice crowd here? is that OK?

Somehow I got similar answer on the pelicanparts.com, Benzworld.com, and Audiworld.com... Why is that?

I personally like to do a lot of reading on whatever vehicle I buy since I like doing my own maintenance and save a buck or five in the process. But that is just me.

While being facetious I am making the point that you will have the very same argument on just about any forum, and bmwlt is really one of the nicest about it. So chill out and enjoy the comradeship!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in