increasing power ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:15 am Thread Starter

increasing power ?

Since I don't have an LT yet, this is premature, but, I'm lloking at gently used ones. Ive been looking at' and newer 05 mainly for the power increase and front end geometry. could care less about the centerstand(actually, dislike it - extra weight - prone to breakdown). Recently seen some nice, low mileage '02-04 that are really reasonably priced. Question: how easy is it to bump up the hp a few ? front end geometry, big problem or not ? i really find it hard to believe BMW would put out a bike with sh*tty geometry ??? Thanks all, Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:42 am

Re: increasing power ?

I won't attempt to speak for others but IIRC the general thought regarding the bike geometry is that that the pre-'05's MIGHT be more stable in a hands off the handlebar situation. I have never had my '01 get front end wobble which could lead to a tank slapper situation either hands on or hands off. I'm sure your intentions are not to ride hands off but if the older models don't have the propensity to wobble this might indicate better inherent stability which could be a good thing.

The '05's and later are supposed to handle better at slow parking lot speeds. This is likely to be true but both old and newer models can be a handful in a parking lot until you learn and faithfully execute the proper low speed handling techniques.

In the end the best thing to do is buy an LT and ride the snot out of it! They are a hoot!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrom999
Since I don't have an LT yet, this is premature, but, I'm lloking at gently used ones. Ive been looking at' and newer 05 mainly for the power increase and front end geometry. could care less about the centerstand(actually, dislike it - extra weight - prone to breakdown). Recently seen some nice, low mileage '02-04 that are really reasonably priced. Question: how easy is it to bump up the hp a few ? front end geometry, big problem or not ? i really find it hard to believe BMW would put out a bike with sh*tty geometry ??? Thanks all, Al
ProfSnape likes this.

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #3 of 53 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 11:47 am

I think an exhaust and chip go a long way to making the power...but, I have a 2000 model and have had a lot of bikes and this one suits me as far as power goes. I have to work the gears a little, but, that's part of the fun of riding. I do have a Remus performance exhaust..not sure what increase that represents, but the thing I appreciate most in the non-linked brakes and the fact that I don't have a whirring brake pump. From what others that have had pre 2005 and after, the difference in performance isn't significant.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]

post #4 of 53 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 4:58 pm

For increase in power put in the new chip and Remus exhaust. My 2000 has it and I noticed the increase in power. As for the geometry there is no fix for later models and I think both are a handful at slow speed if you don't pay attention.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #5 of 53 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 5:08 pm

Al,

The power on any LT is enough to scare you. Once you get moving the LT rides like a much smaller bike. Slow parking lot speed on the LT is something you have to learn. Never use the front brake at parking lot speed while turning. A little practice will make slow speed handling easy.

I didn't make the show Sunday, the granddaughter side tracked my plans to take her to the movies.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 53 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 5:56 am

I have no complaints about my '99. I did go the RhineWest chip and Remus route and am satisfied with the power; more is not necessarily better. The handling has been excellent; it responds much like the Duc 748 and, in some ways, it better than the Duc. The ground clearance for cornering is great, save the side stand in left-hand corners.

Slow speed, tight turns takes practice. Drag the rear break in second gear, clutch fully released. Oh! And turn your head.

Ride safe,
Curt
ProfSnape likes this.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #7 of 53 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 7:42 am

Smile Re: increasing power ?

i am sure exaust upgrades & chips will help.i have a stock 2002 the power is much better than i expected just dont expect too much from a dead stop (unless you like changing clutches)but from 10 mph to the 60 mph in first gear and all the way well past 120
it pull very well. i am also an ex ducati rider not quite a duck but the big girle will surprise you with her performance
Tricky_dickey likes this.
post #8 of 53 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 9:22 am

It's my belief that it takes more fuel to produce more power in most cases.
Power increase = less MPG.
Our 2000 LT has plenty of power and gets a reliable 47 MPG in everyday use and will show as much as 50 on longer trips. Stock engine and exhaust. (this is especially true if you find somewhere to fill with sweet nectar).

Frontend geometry not a problem. She handles well in the curves. No wobbles with the Metzlers, and I don't really need to ride with my hands off the bars.
post #9 of 53 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 9:24 am

I've ridden several "chipped and piped" LTs. I was less than impressed and couldn't really feel any difference. The major limitation is the size of the injectors.

The extra db's from the pipe were obnoxious, and it makes you feel like there is more power - but this is kind of like putting baseball cards on the spokes of your bicycle when you were a kid and yelling Vrooom Vrooom!

The 05's and up definitely have more grunt, I think the revised cam profile was mostly responsible.

Regardless, the difference in power would be a minor consideration - I would be looking at dozens of other issues to decide which LT would be "best". Meticulous maintenance records backed up with receipts score big points with me - especially early on in the bike's life.

BTW, black LT's are the fastest.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 53 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 9:38 am

In reference to bar wobble, shortly after I got my 09, I conducted a little test on a flat straight piece of road. First I set the cruise and slwoly let go of the bars, she tracked straight and true. No wobble, very stable. Then I dropped the cruise, put her in neutral and again slowly let go. She immediately started to wobble, I obviously didn't let her go very long.
Speeds were about 35 mph. Don't know if anyone else has done this extensive of a test
or if this even means anything, but I agrre with previous posts, no reason to let go of the bars....
post #11 of 53 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 10:21 am

The cheapest way to add power to the LT is for the rider to loose weight. If you think about it, it is more doable to lose 50lbs than removing the same 50 lbs from the bike.
Less weight = better hp/lb ratio.
No matter what you will do to the bike it will never be the first one off the gate because of the extremely loooong first gear, and you don't want to feather the dry clutch more than you have to.
Still a great bike, and the power is adequate. I have no problem keeping up with the Sport Touring bikes while 2 up on our weekend trips.
In the twisties just keep the rpms up and the fat lady will dance for you. In hairpin turns you will need to be in 1st gear.
You can also pick a color that is faster, and there have been long debates about the subject on this forum.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #12 of 53 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 12:02 pm

My stock 00 has more HP than I need to have FUN. For me the problem is coming close to what the engine can do near red line in just 2nd or 3rd. By the time I'm up there I have accelerated way too fast for normal traffic conditions. Trying to use those high RPMs on the limited twisty roads around here puts me riding way past what I can safely see ahead in the road.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #13 of 53 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrom999
Ive been looking at' and newer 05 mainly for the power increase
I sincerely don't understand the need for more power. For the last 20 years, I have been riding a Harley FXR with the stage one power package. That was more than enough power for my needs. When I recently bought the 1999 LT, I immediately realized I had a bike with considerably more power. I have yet to have it anywhere near the red line in any gear so I don't think I have yet, and may never, experience the full power potential of this bike.

The way I ride a bike, I cannot fathom putting more money into getting more power. Any additional money I might want to spend on the bike I would invest in comfort or safety.

Michael

1999 K1200LT (recently sold, 6/11)
1992 Harley FXR
1982 Honda Sabre (long gone)
1978 Honda CB750K (long gone)
1975 Honda CB360 (long gone, stolen)
1969 Kawasaki 650 W2SS (long gone)
1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler (long gone)
post #14 of 53 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittonb
In reference to bar wobble, shortly after I got my 09, I conducted a little test on a flat straight piece of road. First I set the cruise and slwoly let go of the bars, she tracked straight and true. No wobble, very stable. Then I dropped the cruise, put her in neutral and again slowly let go. She immediately started to wobble, I obviously didn't let her go very long.
Speeds were about 35 mph. Don't know if anyone else has done this extensive of a test
or if this even means anything, but I agrre with previous posts, no reason to let go of the bars....
You just need to spend less time in the arc of a left hand turn!

Motorcycle Tire Wear

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 53 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 5:13 am

Quote:
I sincerely don't understand the need for more power.
What's that old Harley saying? If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.

You can't have too much power. It's fun. That said, the only way to make a noticeable increase in the power:weight ratio of the LT is with supercharging or turbocharging. In other words, $$$$$. A chip and exhaust may add 7HP, maybe 10 if you're lucky. So your ratio just went from 8.75:1 to 7.95:1. Whoopee.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #16 of 53 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 6:58 am

i saw a turbo package installed that i think added 40 pluse horse power on the site here somewhere .but i seem to recall a cost around 7 to10 thousand dollars. it came with fuel rails ,injectors the hole nine yards
post #17 of 53 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 8:15 am

check out this site http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmwturbos
scary over two hundred hp lt
post #18 of 53 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 9:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
You can't have too much power. It's fun.
It just seems unneeded to me and a waste of my money. Since the LT already has a top speed that is faster than I want to ride, I don't need more power for more top speed. That leaves acceleration. I already don't use all the power I have for acceleration. So spending money to help me theoretically accelerate faster is a moot point.

My main point is that any extra money I have that I want to spend on the bike would be better spent for me on comfort or safety. I just can't see what I would use the extra power for. I don't want to go faster or accelerate faster. I'm fine with the power on the bike.
Buff8stuff likes this.

Michael

1992 Harley FXR
post #19 of 53 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 9:35 am

I did a search and found only 2 posts about removing the catalytic converter. One goes clear back to '05, where WallyO asked if anyone had done it, or had any advise on it. He never got an answer.
I searched because I was thinking the same way. Would removing the CC increase flow? How much weight could one chop off the bike? Any problem with fuel mixture/computer issues?
post #20 of 53 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Quote:
My main point is that any extra money I have that I want to spend on the bike would be better spent for me on comfort or safety. I just can't see what I would use the extra power for. I don't want to go faster or accelerate faster. I'm fine with the power on the bike.
I'm guessing that's why you didn't start this thread, and the person that did has a different opinion. Just a thought. No need to crap on his preferences because they're not yours.

Personally I really miss the power of my CBR1100, but realized what I was getting when I bought the LT.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #21 of 53 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 2:58 pm

I have to agree with Alvarez. That's why I own the LT and an FZ1. So far, with the POSSIBLE exception of the new 1600, I've yet to find any one bike that can do it all. And we've learned that you can't turn one bike (LT) into another (CBR1100).
Now I do see taking some of the less expensive and/or intrusive modifications, but nothing as dramatic as a turbo.
Just my opinion.
post #22 of 53 Old Feb 19th, 2011, 7:32 am

Quote:
No need to crap on his preferences because they're not yours.
Please don't misunderstand me. I was not intending to "crap" on anyone else's preference. I wrote earlier that I _sincerely_ did not understand the need for more power on the LT and I had hoped someone would tell me why they would be willing to spend more money on more power. This was not the specific question asked, but it was only a slight drift, as often happens when someone asks a question here. I know all the cliches, like "speed thrills", but I still don't get it.

Michael

1992 Harley FXR
post #23 of 53 Old Feb 19th, 2011, 8:55 am

i was just looking at the remus exaust kit they claim 9-11 hp gain and thats great. also chops of 25 lb weight from 34lb to 10lb. i would never turbo my lt i just posted the link because i thought it was interesting & prob,the most performance avail, for the lt
post #24 of 53 Old Feb 19th, 2011, 9:38 am

I was also looking for a bit more power and in my research I found that the Chip and the Pipe will not work on a bike newer than an 04. You could change the Pipe however unless you can remap the modec, (as far as I know that isn't possible) about all that will take place is the bike will run very lean which is not a good idea.

The Turbo would be a wicked cool idea but again the problem is remapping the system to allow for the higher flow rates.

Meh I'm an old fart that want's to be a kid again or so my lady tells me.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #25 of 53 Old Feb 19th, 2011, 9:51 am

if you go to & read all the info from the turbo outfit they have fuel enrichment situation
delt with.they have pressure reg etc in the kit. new fuel rails with 8 not 4 injectors & water&aclohal injection. best i can tell it is a high volume low pressure setup. they also have a upgraded clutch disk available at what i think a not to bad price around $325.
not that i would turbo mine but cool. when i need to replace clutch i will look further into there clutch stuff. if it can handel 180hp must be a good disk
post #26 of 53 Old Feb 19th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Anybody? No thoughts on pulling the catalytic converter?
post #27 of 53 Old Feb 19th, 2011, 4:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I doubt that removing the catalytic converter alone will provide enough gain to justify the down side. You would also need to install a modified exhaust and be sure your ECU can make the timing and fuel mixture adjustment.
With that in mind I wonder why would you mess with emissions equipment and become a gross polluter? JM2CW

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #28 of 53 Old Feb 19th, 2011, 4:44 pm

I think some of y'all are "missing the point" here.
the original poster stated in his first sentence that he doesn't have an LT (yet)
but just by reading this forum he already has some strong (and some wrong) opinions.
Mostly he's just "fishing" for information,

now I know there are a lot of different "preferences" out there and some are always going to think more is better,
but most LT's (all years) will do close to 140mph "right out of the box"

my message to the op is get one and give the LT a chance,
I think you'll find that this bike "does what it's supposed to do" so well
that you won't feel the need to change anything,
it may not be the fastest "'of the line" but it will go from 60mph to 90mph "right now" and that's where it counts.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #29 of 53 Old Feb 19th, 2011, 4:56 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Ok : I removed mine after I rode 1100 miles home with a fuel rich condition that some times I could only get 55 mph at wide open throttle. It only weighs about 1 pound. It is the size of the oil filter on the LT. It does not restrict the exhaust flow. The only difference I could tell was the exhaust was a little bit louder. It is not worth it in my opinion. If anybody wants to see the difference you can borrow my LT exhaust without the catalytic converter. It is hanging up on the wall in my garage.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #30 of 53 Old Feb 19th, 2011, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
Ok : I removed mine after I rode 1100 miles home with a fuel rich condition that some times I could only get 55 mph at wide open throttle. It only weighs about 1 pound. It is the size of the oil filter on the LT. It does not restrict the exhaust flow. The only difference I could tell was the exhaust was a little bit louder. It is not worth it in my opinion. If anybody wants to see the difference you can borrow my LT exhaust without the catalytic converter. It is hanging up on the wall in my garage.

OK! That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks Dave.
post #31 of 53 Old Feb 20th, 2011, 10:55 am

Quote:
but I still don't get it.
I was only half sarcastic when I said that if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand. Really, that's it. If you have to ask why power is fun, then nobody can explain it. It's like trying to explain why a roller coaster is fun to people who hate them.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #32 of 53 Old Feb 20th, 2011, 11:08 am

Quote:
I was only half sarcastic when I said that if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand. Really, that's it. If you have to ask why power is fun, then nobody can explain it. It's like trying to explain why a roller coaster is fun to people who hate them.
True, those there words.
People ask me why I have 3 motorcycles. Cuz I can't afford 4.
People ask me why I bought a V10. Cuz they don't make a V12.
People ask me how much more power do I need. Jus a little bit more.

And it's too true: if I have to explain, you really wouldn't understand.
post #33 of 53 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I've ridden several "chipped and piped" LTs. I was less than impressed and couldn't really feel any difference. The major limitation is the size of the injectors.

The extra db's from the pipe were obnoxious, and it makes you feel like there is more power - but this is kind of like putting baseball cards on the spokes of your bicycle when you were a kid and yelling Vrooom Vrooom!

The 05's and up definitely have more grunt, I think the revised cam profile was mostly responsible.

Regardless, the difference in power would be a minor consideration - I would be looking at dozens of other issues to decide which LT would be "best". Meticulous maintenance records backed up with receipts score big points with me - especially early on in the bike's life.

BTW, black LT's are the fastest.

I bought a used 2005 LT a couple of years ago. It had the Remus exhaust already installed.

How would/could I tell if it has been "chipped"?

Thanks,

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #34 of 53 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 6:46 pm

Quote:
True, those there words.
People ask me why I have 3 motorcycles. Cuz I can't afford 4.
People ask me why I bought a V10. Cuz they don't make a V12.
People ask me how much more power do I need. Jus a little bit more.

And it's too true: if I have to explain, you really wouldn't understand.
Yesterday a *motorcyclist* asked me, "Why are you riding your motorcycle in the rain?!?"

Uh, well, because it's raining? I can't pick the weather. Oh you mean why didn't I take the car? Never crossed my mind, why?

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #35 of 53 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 8:06 pm

"but most LT's (all years) will do close to 140mph "right out of the box"

Urban myth

On a really, really good day with the wind at your back MEBEE 120. Downhill. Drafting a semi.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #36 of 53 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 8:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
I bought a used 2005 LT a couple of years ago. It had the Remus exhaust already installed.

How would/could I tell if it has been "chipped"?

Thanks,
From my understanding putting a Remus exhaust (or any other brand) on an 05 and up LT REQUIRED remapping (aka flashing or a new chip) to extract maximum performance. The same is true of 99's to 04's.

I would think without a new "chip" the motronics (moronics) would sense the increased flow and adjust fuel to keep it from leaning out. No extra power and lot of extra mind numbing and seriously fatiguing decibels - which is kind of counter intuitive on a long distance touring bike, no?

The '05 and up LT was "tuned" to absolute max performance right from the factory and any aftermarket add ons are pretty much vaporware.

Sure, the aftermarket guys claim an extra X number of horsepower and X amount of increase in torque, but it is so incredibly small as to be barely - if at all - noticeable in every day driving that it is a waste of time and money. But, that's just my opinion.

I'm sure lots of guys that drag or road race LT's will feel otherwise.

How to tell if it's chipped?

Take it apart and look!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Feb 21st, 2011 at 8:44 pm.
post #37 of 53 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 8:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
From my understanding putting a Remus exhaust (or any other brand) on an 05 and up LT REQUIRED remapping (aka flashing or a new chip) to extract maximum performance. The same is true of 99's to 04's.

I would think without a new "chip" the motronics (moronics) would sense the increased flow and adjust fuel to keep it from leaning out. No extra power and lot of extra mind numbing and seriously fatiguing decibels - which is kind of counter intuitive on a long distance touring bike, no?

The '05 and up LT was "tuned" to absolute max performance right from the factory and any aftermarket add ons are pretty much vaporware.

Sure, they claim an extra X number of horsepower and X amount of increase in torque, but it is so incredibly small as to be barely - if at all - noticeable in every day driving that it is a waste of time and money. But, that's just my opinion.

I'm sure lots of guys that drag or road race LT's will feel otherwise.

How to tell if it's chipped?

Take it apart and look!
Pretty sure it's NOT chipped. When they tried chipping the '05s and newer LTs, the bang for the buck wuzn't there. What they did offer tho, wuz a redesigned cam chain sprocket. Not sure that went anywhere as a mod, and I don't recall the details of that mod as to whether one would need to adjust the Motronic mapping, butt there should be some archival info that can be found in a search exercise, or we might ping former-Rhinewest wrench Hank and see what he remembers. I need to go see him soon anyway, so will bring up the subject and letcha know what he knows.
post #38 of 53 Old Feb 21st, 2011, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Pretty sure it's NOT chipped. When they tried chipping the '05s and newer LTs, the bang for the buck wuzn't there. What they did offer tho, wuz a redesigned cam chain sprocket. Not sure that went anywhere as a mod, and I don't recall the details of that mod as to whether one would need to adjust the Motronic mapping, butt there should be some archival info that can be found in a search exercise, or we might ping former-Rhinewest wrench Hank and see what he remembers. I need to go see him soon anyway, so will bring up the subject and letcha know what he knows.
Yep Dick, he would be da' man.

I think what you've mentioned pretty much confirms that thing were maxed out with the arrival of the 05's. The brick does have limitations - but it is STILL an excellent motor and has an incredible life expectancy with minimal care. A true icon in motorcycle history that will be hard to eclipse. Even with the new fangled in line 6. We'll see...

What's really amazing is that there are virtually ZERO posts on this site from the git' go that said their motor blew up!

For me - anyway - modding a touring bike motor for more grunt (and almost ALWAYS at the expense of fuel mileage and reliability) makes about as much sense as putting a screen door on a submarine.

But then again - here's my latest project: (about half way done as we E-speak!)

It's a "trailer on a toon". 90 horse two stroke Yammy out back. Lot's o' politically incorrect smoke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110211_151015.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	30485  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #39 of 53 Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 11:20 am

Carlos, this is perfect! Gotta make sure I use the word uh...... If you don't ride in the rain where I live you had just as well move to the Northeast and put up with the snow or plan on riding just a few months a year.

Loren

Quote:
Yesterday a *motorcyclist* asked me, "Why are you riding your motorcycle in the rain?!?"

Uh, well, because it's raining? I can't pick the weather. Oh you mean why didn't I take the car? Never crossed my mind, why?

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #40 of 53 Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 1:17 pm

I love power. Most of my stuff doesn't have too much of it anymore, but, I still love the rush of leaving a stop sign/light and zipping up to the speed limit...or maybe slipping a little past it as quickly as possible. Been that way since I was 14...with 50 years to ingrain a habit, it is kinda' a constant for me. I may have had faster bikes...xs1100, gs 1000, kaw 1000, but, I couldn't really tell at this point. I know the bmw handles corners better that all those others, stops better than most [Suzuki was best at stopping] and so far, no one has left me at the stoplight. Although, I must admit, I seem to be a minority at leaving in a hurry. Doesn't matter...I'm not trying to win...just like going fast. Always have.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #41 of 53 Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 2:34 pm

Rain in Gilbert?!!?

Carlos was just kidding about rain in Gilbert. :-)

Uuuuuum. Oooooh. I vaguely remember it raining here last summer. I just tell people it's so refreshing when it happens.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #42 of 53 Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hank installed the Rhinewest chip in my '00 LT while at CCR '05 in Jackson, WY. After discussing the combo of chip and Remus exhaust with him, I decided to pass on the exhaust. Hank said the Remus benefit was primarily at high rpm and I would actually lose torque at low and mid-range rpms if I installed the Remus exhaust. I was looking for a little boost in torque for pulling a Hannigan trailer. I experienced a noticable "bump" in power after installing the chip. I had a 600 mile return trip home after CCR '05 to compare with my "non-chipped" trip to CCR. I personally think Rhinewest's claim of 8-10 lb/ft of increased torque is pretty much on the mark. My 5th gear roll-on acceleration is considerably stronger than that of a stock 1999 LT and a stock 2003 LT that I had the opportunity to ride and compare with my '00 LT.
post #43 of 53 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 8:52 pm

Question Re: increasing power ?

I have had my 2008 LT two months now, and logged around 1000 miles. I had the 12,000 mile service re-done, (it now has 13,400 miles on it) as I purchased it on Cycle Trader from the east coast. It does not seem to have power at the low end, I have to twist the grip at least 50% of the range to get it moving.
Perhaps I am comparing it to my 2009 Kawasaki 1400 Concorse which has a very quick response.
I am not enjoying the LT as I thought I would. Compared to the 2003 Goldwing I sold a year and a half ago, It had much more power than the LT.
Does anyone have an idea what may be wrong? Or a fix I could ask my mechanic to try, like rejet the injectors, or change timing or ??? I know nothing about these newer bikes, even thou I have been riding for 56 years.
any input would be appreciated.
post #44 of 53 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 9:36 pm

My 05' has the Remus and the cam gears and I like it. It revs quicker has more top end, sound and looks better.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #45 of 53 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 10:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron-one
I have had my 2008 LT two months now, and logged around 1000 miles. I had the 12,000 mile service re-done, (it now has 13,400 miles on it) as I purchased it on Cycle Trader from the east coast. It does not seem to have power at the low end, I have to twist the grip at least 50% of the range to get it moving.
Perhaps I am comparing it to my 2009 Kawasaki 1400 Concorse which has a very quick response.
I am not enjoying the LT as I thought I would. Compared to the 2003 Goldwing I sold a year and a half ago, It had much more power than the LT.
Does anyone have an idea what may be wrong? Or a fix I could ask my mechanic to try, like rejet the injectors, or change timing or ??? I know nothing about these newer bikes, even thou I have been riding for 56 years.
any input would be appreciated.
The only thing you need to do is keep her in the higher rpms for power. She likes to toyed with between 6-8,000 rpm in the twisties. Seriously there is no low end power but 1st gear is good to 62 mph. Next time you leave a light as the first dog, slowly accelerate in first gear and when you hit 3,000 rpm pour on the coals and shift @ 8,000 rpm. But be careful you will be at highway speed by then.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #46 of 53 Old Apr 1st, 2011, 10:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My LT has plenty of HP. 100+ HP with 1000 lbs including the rider. 1 for 10. That's a pretty good HP to weight ratio, yes?

post #47 of 53 Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 3:30 am

John speaks the truth! She ain't the fastest ride off the line with that tall 1st gear. Don't rev it to leave the line as there is some conjecture it might be hard on the clutch. 1,000 to 1500 RPM seems to be the rule of thumb as the 'do not exceed RPM' before the clutch lever is fully released. At about 4,000 RPM she gets her high heels on. Never seems to bother her a bit to shift in the 6,000 to 8,000 RPM range and it sure is fun! Especially in the mountain twisties! I never use 5th gear while riding the urban freeways. Usually 4th and occasionally 3rd. Much more responsive at these RPMs.

BTW, the Concours was my 1st choice until I met the LT. Still happy with my choice!

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
The only thing you need to do is keep her in the higher rpms for power. She likes to toyed with between 6-8,000 rpm in the twisties. Seriously there is no low end power but 1st gear is good to 62 mph. Next time you leave a light as the first dog, slowly accelerate in first gear and when you hit 3,000 rpm pour on the coals and shift @ 8,000 rpm. But be careful you will be at highway speed by then.

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #48 of 53 Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 8:19 pm

Thank you all for the info, guess I will use the higher RPM's, As it sounds like I am lugging her down. Interesting to drive in 3rd or 4th gear while traveling down the open road.
I did not realize first gear was a higher gear than I am used to. Now, I can't wait to try the higher revs coming out of the turns and starting out. Appreciate shared knowledge on the flying brick.
post #49 of 53 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Well, I am now loving my LT. Keeping the revs up and shifting around 4000 rpm has really made a difference in the pleasure & quality of the ride. She just hummm's along the Hwy 49 twisties. Also, the new Avon radials are sweet, very sure footed in the turns and they track great. Another satisfied German motorcycle owner. Thanks again to those that helped me figure what I was doing wrong.
post #50 of 53 Old Apr 15th, 2011, 8:03 pm

4000 RPM ? You haven't even hit the power band yet...

Of course you don't ride it that way from day to day..

Get it out in the twisties and run in second gear.. Use the engine for braking and run between 5-8KRPM

Now you've got you're ride on...

Good Luck

john

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in