Troubleshooting quiz for experienced LT riders - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 15th, 2011, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Troubleshooting quiz for experienced LT riders

I've had my 2002 LT for about six months now and it's just developed a starting problem I hope folks can guide me into searching for the culprit. Here's the background to help -
Bike has about 20K miles on it and I did recently did most of the items called out in the 24K maintenance schedule (ie new fuel and air filter, spark plugs, oil change) - along with installing a new Odyssey 680 battery. After this major work - the bike started up just like normal and ran well. A few days later we rode it for almost a 2 hour ride with no issues. About two weeks later I connected my new Odyssey charger to the lower-left powerport to insure the battery was fully charged - then the next day in starting the bike, it would turn over fine but it wouldn't startup like always before (ie I would always just push the starter button, no throttle, and it would idle) - the only way I could get it to keep running was to give it some throttle and keep babying it until it warmed up - then we rode it again for about an hour and it seemed fine. Tonight (about 4 days later) - I rechecked and unfortunately it again exhibits the same problem (ie won't just start up without some throttle playing) - again, this bike never had a starting issue so it seems something happened suddenly that I'm not sure where to start. Seen several possible issues in this forum but since I'm pretty new to the LT, I could sure use some expert advise. thank you!

Chuck
Jacksonville, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 3:42 am

Re: Troubleshooting quiz for experienced LT riders

You might try remapping your throttle. Do a search you should find the directions to make sure mine are correct.

Disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes.
Connect the battery, turn key one( do not start the bike)
Open the throttle all the way and then close it three times.
Turn key off.

This may fix the problem.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 4:49 am

When you say you have to play with the throttle, can you just hold it at idle speed once the engine starts and keep the engine running?

If so, you may have a throttle positioner problem. It is a small electric stepper motor that controls the idle speed. It is at the rear of the throttle rail, and positions the throttle for idle. If it is going bad, idle control will be lost, and the engine will not keep running with it at it's normal engine off position.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 6:05 am Thread Starter

Thanks to both Bob and George for your replies - it seems both of you are leaning towards TPS issues. To answer George's question - by "playing with the throttle" - I meant I have to keep the throttle held a bit open to even get the bike to start cold and then it will not stay running unless I continue to hold the throttle open to allow it to get warm and then it will idle on it's own. Once it was ridden and warm, it would start without any hand on the throttle and idle fine. That's why I wasn't sure if the TPS being either out of "calibration" or just plain bad would allow the engine to improve once it's warm.

Chuck
Jacksonville, FL
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 6:07 am Thread Starter

sorry David - didn't mean to call you George!

Chuck
Jacksonville, FL
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

Final update as the problem has been "solved". Not sure what caused the issue in the first place but unplugging the battery and trying it again seemed to reset things and the bike starts normally again. Thanks again for the input!

Chuck
Jacksonville, FL
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 5:27 pm

I've disconnected my battery numerous times and have never had to reset the throttle. I've read these threads and always wondered why some had to and others like myself didn't?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 6:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
I've disconnected my battery numerous times and have never had to reset the throttle. I've read these threads and always wondered why some had to and others like myself didn't?

I don't believe the re-setting of the TPS (open twice close twice key off) is necessary (but agree beneficial) but the re-set (memory erase) of the ECU is. I forgot to do the TPS after my clutch job (battery off for one week) and never had an issue on initial startup. Even my 96 Lincoln MK VIII has required an ECU purge once just to get her to start.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in