goldwing luggage rack - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2011, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

goldwing luggage rack

Wing Stuff has a great deal on a GL1800 luggage rack with the bag for $99 bucks, with my email coupon I can get 10 bucks off....My question is has anyone ever tried to fit a goldwing luggage rack onto the LT??? I would love to save some money, but don't want to have to duct tape the damn thing onto my bike!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2011, 6:41 pm

Re: goldwing luggage rack

Not sure if it will fit on an LT, but I bought that same rack/bag combo from Wingstuff last fall and used it on a trip with our Wing. Very well-made and useful bag and the rack seems to be good quality, too. The bag has an attached rain cover which works very well in heavy rain.
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 9:29 am

I can't recall anyone ever fitting a wing rack on an LT - but the Harley rack does fit with some modding and actually looks good too.. I think there used to be a kit for it with spacers and bolts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Ron, I have looked into the Harley rack, the extensions and feet mod are from Paul S. I get the impression he made a run of parts some years ago, and is pretty much at the end of his stock. Even so the price is close to $300 I have a couple of friends with goldwings, and I used to have a 2002 with this very same rack, so I know it is good quality. I am going over today to check their racks and see what the comparative dimensions are...For $89 with the bag, it think it is worth looking into. I will post my findings.

RICH CANNON
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
Thanks for the reply Ron, I have looked into the Harley rack, the extensions and feet mod are from Paul S. I get the impression he made a run of parts some years ago, and is pretty much at the end of his stock. Even so the price is close to $300 I have a couple of friends with goldwings, and I used to have a 2002 with this very same rack, so I know it is good quality. I am going over today to check their racks and see what the comparative dimensions are...For $89 with the bag, it think it is worth looking into. I will post my findings.
Hmmm, I only paid about $100 for the Harley rack from a dealer... the mounts were home made, (in this case for a trailer) but nothing you couldn't come up with at a decent hardware store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 5.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	30449  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

I think the problem with the Harley rack is the legs are too short to clear the center area of the LT top. the Paul S adaptation were leg extensions with foot pads for the harley rack.

RICH CANNON
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 3:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE=casualemt]Thanks for the reply Ron, I have looked into the Harley rack, the extensions and feet mod are from Paul S. I get the impression he made a run of parts some years ago, and is pretty much at the end of his stock. Even so the price is close to $300.

I bought the set up from Paul S. almost 2 yrs ago. He was close to the end of stock on hand. I paid $130. It was a pleasant buying experience for me. He was also very helpful. At that time, the Harley rack alone, was pretty near $100. So, figuring that I paid him 30 bucks for the mounting hardware and the install directions, I was happy. But, I would now think twice if it has a $300 price tag.
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 17th, 2011, 4:11 pm Thread Starter

Just checked Pauls website, modified rack is $220 plus another $111 for the bag for a total of $331. The wingstuff site is $89 with coupon for rack and bag! BUT, can it fit????

RICH CANNON
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 5:06 am

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/3...g_Luggage_Rack

Seems to be geared around the queer shape of the Wing's top case, doesn't look like it would fit the LT well at all.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #10 of 15 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 10:28 am

For $70.00 I could make it fit, and besides, that nifty little vertical section is purrrrfect for mounting stuffed animals.

(I do think it would look out of place...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wing rack.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	30458  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 15 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
For $70.00 I could make it fit, and besides, that nifty little vertical section is purrrrfect for mounting stuffed animals.

Yep, gotta have the critter on the back!

post #12 of 15 Old Feb 18th, 2011, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Or a stuffed luggage rack bag!!! Actually you could get a giant stuffed animal, take all the stuffing out, and put clothes, cover, rain gear, what ever!! That would be the best of both worlds....don't you think?

RICH CANNON
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
post #13 of 15 Old Feb 26th, 2011, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, Ron inspired me....I couldn't resist the smokin deal, and ordered the rack. I got it the other day, and today I installed it. It actually is not a bad fit. The raised part on the front for the higher profile wing seat does stick up a bit, but it is far enough back that it shouldn't be a helmet knocker for my wife, and the cool rack bag that comes with it is the berries! I know I will probably get some negative comments from the affectionados but I would dare anyone to compare price and value. $89 for the rack and bag, free shipping!!!
I am also happy to have a handle (the rack) to lift the trunk lid. My next project is to put an additional LED brake light on it. As you can see from the photos, it is snowing lightly, and I didn't have time to get a stuffed animal out to bungee onto the rack.
I would have to say the answer to my question is YES a goldwing rack will fit on the LT.
The mounting bolts fit easily, and if anyone is interested I will get some photos of the mounting when the snow stops..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	30513   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	30514  

RICH CANNON
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
post #14 of 15 Old Feb 26th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Very nice installation and looks good on there. Just a little tip from us Goldwingers -- use star washers to distribute the stress of the mounting screws. Saves possible cracking of the trunk lid over time.

And I agree about the bag which comes with the rack. It is very nice quality and the self-storing rain cover has snap on strap to keep it from being lost.
post #15 of 15 Old Feb 27th, 2011, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Just got an inquiry about mounting the rack, thought I would share...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingConvert
Hi Rich - I saw your photo's of the Goldwing Luggage Rack, and I'm interested in more information about how the installation was accomplished. Especially drilling through the vinyl, and if you used any Star Washers or other items to distribut eth weight as has been suggested. Also - how did you determine where to place the rack...just wherever it looked good, or was there a more systematic method.

I may have to wait for this rack/bag combination go to on sale again, and perform the installation on my bike. I have a '99, so don't know if the lines/trunk contours are the same as your bike.

Any additional info/photos you can provide or post would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Hey Tom.
The Rack and bag combo are still on sale, the price is $99 and I had a coupon code WINGSTUFF and I got $10 off. They said on the site that you get free shipping on $99 and over, but still gave me free shipping with the discounted price. Anyway, I kind of did a "looks good here" and then moved it around for what appeared to be the best place for access for the bolts. Your 99 should be identical to my 2000, and you can see from the photos that the base goes almost to the corners of the vinyl area on the back. I am at work today and tomorrow (48 hour shift on the ambulance), I would be glad to post some photos of the bolt locations on Wednesday. I put masking tape on the lid where the feet of the rack go, and marked the drill holes, and then left it on when I drilled it. No problem with the vinyl at all, I did have to go to ACE hardware and buy longer bolts to get through all the stuff, they are a 6mm bolt, cheap and easy to get. Unlike the Harley rack where you have to dremmel out a recess for the bolt heads, the GW rack location is no sweat. I just mounted the rack yesterday, and have just used the washers provided with the rack. I used to have a 2002 GL1800 and I put this same rack on it. I did use the star washers on the gl, but the trunk lid on the gl felt a lot flimsier than the LT does. I probably should get some star washers and put on it, but for now I was freezing my butt off out there working in the carport in 20 degree wind....
Rich C

RICH CANNON
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in