2004 LT Clunks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2011, 12:53 am Thread Starter

2004 LT Clunks

G'day,

My LT has for the past 4 months been making an uncomfortable noise from the rear end, so much so now that others are commenting. It's not a tinny rattle but more a metallic clunking and is esp prevalent when applying load (accelerating). Also very evident at standstill or just moving away while engaging the clutch From a thorough look around I can find nothing obvious.

Having read Newport's post on Feb 11, I'm wondering if there may be a relationship?

BTW, I plan to remove the shock assembly next week to replace a tired spring (it doesn't like supporting my better half and me together without the occasional undercarriage scrape).

Is there anyone out there who can offer some insight on my issue before we start tooling the old girl apart (the bike that is)?

Thanks,

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2011, 1:09 am

Garage
Re: 2004 LT Clunks

Paul
I thought it may be the rear brake rotor but it doesnt make any noise if you are not moving sounds like you are maybe describing 2 faults but think they are the same.
Easy to check the rotor at least, grab hold of the rotor and try to make it move it will emit a clang if loose ( make sure it is cold) and it does have a tiny bit of movement but no noise

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2011, 5:16 am

If it sounds like a cowbell when rolling to a stop it is the rotor

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2011, 9:01 am

well, If it's not the rear dirve.. The rotor is a floating type so it will move around a little..That's normal...

Maybe drive shaft ?

You'll know soon enough if you keep riding it...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2011, 11:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Maybe drive shaft ?

You'll know soon enough if you keep riding it...

John
+1... My thoughts exactly...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #6 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 3:12 am Thread Starter

Thank you all. Like said, it was easy enough to check the rotor and presto, there's the problem. Now to find the best way to remedy the issue here on the east coast of Oz. Any tips?

Paul
post #7 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulN
G'day,

My LT has for the past 4 months been making an uncomfortable noise from the rear end, so much so now that others are commenting. It's not a tinny rattle but more a metallic clunking and is esp prevalent when applying load (accelerating). Also very evident at standstill or just moving away while engaging the clutch From a thorough look around I can find nothing obvious.

Having read Newport's post on Feb 11, I'm wondering if there may be a relationship?

BTW, I plan to remove the shock assembly next week to replace a tired spring (it doesn't like supporting my better half and me together without the occasional undercarriage scrape).

Is there anyone out there who can offer some insight on my issue before we start tooling the old girl apart (the bike that is)?

Thanks,

Paul
This looks like a classic symptom of the "Cow Bell" rotor. I had this on my 2004, but did nothing about it. It was getting louder with time - the dealer told me that there was no safety issue with it, just an embarrassing clunking when going over bumps.
I traded it in for 2007 and that too developed similar symptoms. At about 20k I got new style rotor for free because it was a "recall" item. The new type rotor has fewer mount holes - I think 5, but those are bigger and seem to be holding better with time.
I have now 35k on the bike and still no "Cow Bell" sound, so I guess the new rotor has fixed the issue.

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #8 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 9:43 pm

Garage

Paul glad to hear you found the problem Luckily for you the aussie dollar is so high
you need to buy it here and you will also need these
easy enough to change I have done 2 down this way already the last one I got with pads was $ 239.00 to the door.. they are $500.00 here in Aus.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #9 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Garage

paul
before you replace the spring check the hydraulic adjuster under the seat is full of oil, on the centre stand back the adjuster off completely and then start winding it should have pressure almost from thr first click, if it doensnt back it off and top the adjuster with high pressure oil
it will make a big difference to the ride and height of the bike might just save some more money

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:13 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle
paul
before you replace the spring check the hydraulic adjuster under the seat is full of oil, on the centre stand back the adjuster off completely and then start winding it should have pressure almost from thr first click, if it doensnt back it off and top the adjuster with high pressure oil
it will make a big difference to the ride and height of the bike might just save some more money
Channing kindly made some notes about doing it in THIS POST
It helps for a while... but there's nothing like getting new shocks, as costly as that is.
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #11 of 19 Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:37 pm

Garage

aww c'mon chris I love bashing speed humps and scraping everything

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #12 of 19 Old Feb 25th, 2011, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Chris and Linton,

Re the spring, I've already been down the path of servicing the adjuster but makes little difference. From further enquiries I'm told it's a known issue that the spring gets tired after being loaded often and long. I figure as the previous owner and wife did much touring with trailer in tow that it's a reasonable thought that the spring may be due for replacement. Anyway, the brief I've given my local mechanic is to source something that will carry both me and wife with full paniers and top box that keeps the machine far enough off the road to allow for some decent cornering without scraping. He tells me he has sourced a replacement but it's now four weeks in the waiting ... must be coming from Saturn or some other far flung part of the universe. I'll be interested to see what his recommendation is for fixing the "cow bell" rotor. I like the idea of sourcing the EBC unit from the US at $150 something ... I have priced the same unit here in Oz (Melbourne) but they want $495 ... that's not about to happen.

Will keep you posted,

Paul
post #13 of 19 Old Feb 25th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Paul, please update the post with your findings on the spring change. Inquiring minds would like to know............

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #14 of 19 Old Feb 25th, 2011, 7:03 pm
cws

Garage

Paul, if you have any questions about the rear suspension, give Sean O'Sullivan (SOS engineering) at Penrith a call. He spec'd the Wilbers for my bike, very nice guy, very knowledgable, and renowned for the quality of his work. (02) 4732 5533 or 0412 245 176
He's done a couple of the other guys LT's also.
I had the BMW dealer (Procycles) install them, after purchasing through Sean.
Your local wrench may have already ordered from Wilbers, as they have to ship from Germany, just the other side of Saturn....
Have fun!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #15 of 19 Old Feb 25th, 2011, 9:47 pm

I took the rotor off and "Dabb'd" some RTV hi temp silicone in around the worn springs( actually... I rubbed it in as if I were packing bearings. You want to get it in there).. Wiped off the excess then re-assembled, put it up on the centerstand, applied the brake to center the rotor before the RTV set-up and then, for a few hours rotated the tire a little bit and re-applied the brake during the set-up perod of the RTV.

Kept the rotor quiet for a couple years with no other related problems.
post #16 of 19 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 6:30 am Thread Starter

I can't believe it's been so long since first calling for advice. Well, finally with your help and tips and after waiting forever for a new rear spring (which had to be supplied twice thanks to a mix-up) my ride is all fixed and cruising like a charm.

The new stiffer spring easily carries my wife and I (around 180kg combined) without any sign of scraping ... although "she who must be obeyed" will not allow hard cornering.

Also, the new EBC brake rotor and pads work really well ... no embarrassing clanging and the brakes pull up much better too. Thanks to Axle's advice, I sourced the parts from the US at a great price with delivery here in Oz in under a week.

Thanks again folk for all your help.

Paul
post #17 of 19 Old Apr 16th, 2011, 11:21 am

Paul,

Good news. What spring did you use?

Wonder how many here recognize the reference to the H. Rider Haggard novel 'She'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulN
I can't believe it's been so long since first calling for advice. Well, finally with your help and tips and after waiting forever for a new rear spring (which had to be supplied twice thanks to a mix-up) my ride is all fixed and cruising like a charm.

The new stiffer spring easily carries my wife and I (around 180kg combined) without any sign of scraping ... although "she who must be obeyed" will not allow hard cornering.

Also, the new EBC brake rotor and pads work really well ... no embarrassing clanging and the brakes pull up much better too. Thanks to Axle's advice, I sourced the parts from the US at a great price with delivery here in Oz in under a week.

Thanks again folk for all your help.

Paul

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #18 of 19 Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 5:27 am Thread Starter

Loren,

Sorry for slow reply. I'd like to say I've been too occupied with cruising but truth is I'm just slow.

The new spring is made in Oz to my own weight specs and goes under then name Teknik.

Oh, the other thing that's been taking up my time is helping my wife learn to ride. She enjoys the LT as pillion but decided she wanted her own freedom to ride. So is learning to scoot. Bought her a nice new Sym HD 200i EVO, then two days later she challenged a tree but lost. Now is nursing a smashed clavicle while I rebuild the front end of her new toy ... but the good news is she is determined to conquer it and ride on. One tough lady she is and I love her.

Thanks for the interest,

Paul
post #19 of 19 Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 8:36 am

i could be wrong but i think you can eliminate the drive &rear brake.if it makes the noise at a standstill like you said. with the rear brake applyed is the noise still there. nice thing is it makes the noise sitting still i think you just have to keep looking take a good at the exaust mounts & cat could be broken. check the center & side stand skid plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in