Recover rear speaker pads? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 13th, 2011, 8:26 am Thread Starter

Recover rear speaker pads?

For a lesser term or lack of a proper name has anyone recovered the rear speaker pads that are on the rear trunk lid.Over the years they have started to show their age.I have thought to just take them to a local auto upholstery place but after taking them off the bike and removing the speakers and grills I don't know if it can be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Feb 13th, 2011, 8:46 am

Re: Recover rear speaker pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvx216
For a lesser term or lack of a proper name has anyone recovered the rear speaker pads that are on the rear trunk lid.Over the years they have started to show their age.I have thought to just take them to a local auto upholstery place but after taking them off the bike and removing the speakers and grills I don't know if it can be done.
Believe it or not, those things are called 'armrests'! The OEM shop manual (page 65.4) shows detailed removal pictures and it looks to me like it would be relatively easy for an upholstery shop to replace the padded 'armrests'. Not sure about the material used by the factory, butt there are bound to be good replacement materials available from an upholsterer. Good luck.

Edit: I recall (vaguely) seeing several pics of European bikes, at one of their large rallies, with replacement 'armrests' using other than OEM material. One or two in particular replaced the entire units with really beefed up speaker systems. Maybe someone over the pond has access to those pics - I've lost my archived ones.
post #3 of 5 Old Feb 13th, 2011, 10:02 am
Enjoy The Ride

I use 303 vinyl uv protective product on my bike at least twice a month and hopefully it will keep mine looking like new for a long time.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Feb 13th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Quote:
Easy to do as long as you can find a very "stretchy" vinyl - you can do it yourself with some 3M Super 90 glue. Spray a VERY small amount on both surfaces, let it tack for a good solid minute then slap 'em back togehter. Trim with a new razor blade.

This is soooo easy - even if you've never done it before - it will look as good as ANY upholstery shop can do. Use an electric heat gun to remove the old vinyl first and make sure you don't tear the foam underlayment or you'll end up with a mess.

You won't - unfortunately - be able to find a matching vinyl since it is European sourced... but you should be able to come close if it's black. OEM gray is impossible.

Here's some where the entire bike was converted from black to "titanium".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	armrest.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	30406  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 5 Old Feb 13th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Garage

EDIT: Ron slow down... you must have your responses canned and ready to go...

It can be done... That good looking man from the SW did a bang up job on his, (Ron K) and I agree with wise Dick one above, get them off the bike and remove the speakers and any shop would be able to recover them.

Quote:

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in