Need wiring schematic for can-bus K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 6:41 pm Thread Starter

Need wiring schematic for can-bus K1200LT

Now before I get flamed, I know the 1200LT isn't can-bus, but...... My 09 is at the dealer having the seats looked at (no problem) and the fuel door replaced, (warped because of sun light, according to service advisor, another story) but while we were talking about the seats, I made the comment that another bike I have access to, an 05, heats the seats quickly and noticeably. I then commented that I did notice the wiring schematics are different for 06's and newer. He stood there and told me "yea can-bus, real easy to diagnois problems, you hook up one reader and learn everything about the bike, but down side is if one thing fails, usually 3-4 other things fail too. And you don't want to replace the wiring harness, (knocking on wood), but don't worry you won't have to ever replace the harness".

We had already talked about the fuel door, and I'm absolutely sure he knew what bike we were talking about.

So I guess I'm lucky and special, I've got the only can-bus K1200LT out there. I mean, the dealers service advisor can't be wrong, right? And no I didn't call him on it, I just figured I'd use it as another dealer story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Re: Need wiring schematic for can-bus K1200LT

I had a problem with my 05's power stand working intermittenly so it went to the dealer and was there for a couple of weeks. When I went in to pick it up the dealer said they checked the complete wiring loom and the facotry rep also got involved. They found a circuit that goes from the cd changer is tied into the power stand and they called it a can bus. The problem was my Dice that was hooked up would interrupt the signals for the power stand. I would not believe it so they proved it to me. They would plug it in to the cd changer and the stand would be fine, plug it into the dice and the stand would not work. They did this at least six times until I was convinced. The factory rep said this was the only "can bus" that existied in the loom of the LT. Then i had to pay almost $500 for the labor because it was my fault.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #3 of 3 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 9:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Need wiring schematic for can-bus K1200LT

The LT does have a bus but it is the i-bus for the dash and the radio. I have worked on an 09 and it does not have a can-bus. Dealer like that one is how this site cam into being. They were clueless and most of us figured everything out on our own.

The schematic did change a small amount with the 06 or 07 model year when they added the ability to dim the dash lighting but that was about it, oh they added a snowflake on the display to warn you about icing conditions.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in