Ferry Rides - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

Ferry Rides

Hey Guys

I and my 05 LT will be leaving Florida this spring, taking the outer banks North, circling the remainder of the Great Lakes heading West to Vancouver & North. My concern is the possible need of tying down the bike for the ferry rides. Ive taken her on a few short ones in Gulf Shores AL. and Galveston TX. but my concern is the longer and rougher ones, the one North from Vancouver is 15 hrs & overnite. Should the bike be on the centerstand if I am going to tie her down? Should it be on the centerstand if im not going to tie her down? Should I worry about tying it down at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 1:01 pm
Dar

Re: Ferry Rides

Welcome To Canada and beautiful British Columbia. I live in Vernon in the Okanagan and run the Ferry to Vancouver Island and up the coast many times. You have nothing to worry about the staff will take care of you. I to have a 07 LT and have kept it on the center stand and side stand nothing ever happened. I see many bikes using both never had a bike go down. Again they will take care of you. Just bring you camera and enjoy BC.
Take care
post #3 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 1:03 pm

I can say that the ferry ride if on the Knotts Island Ferry from the Outer Banks to Virginia Beach is smooth and there is not need for a tie down. If you cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and take Rte 13 or 113 to the Cape May Ferry the bike is also quite secure and in both cases is happy on the side stand. The Knotts Ferry is free while the Cape May Ferry is a bit pricey but includes a nice nearly ocean passage, none the less this route allows you to see the Eastern Shore of Virginia and Maryland including Chincateague, Ocean City, Rehoboth Beach and more.

Last edited by rkimmel2; Feb 9th, 2011 at 1:12 pm.

post #4 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 1:52 pm

If there is a need to tie down, don't let anybody do it to the handle bars.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 1:59 pm

No experience with bikes on BC ferries - but a lot in the Maritimes, on a variety of bikes.

On rivers, the ferries usually run flat & smooth and there is no need to worry about tie-downs. Make sure to leave the bike in gear so it does not roll of the sidestand.

I prefer sidestand to centerstand, because the 3-points - stand and wheels - provide wider (more stable) base in all directions than the centerstand.

On crossings that get waves (like St. Lawrence River in QC), I use a ratchet strap to lock the sidestand to the rim of front wheel. That way, I assure that the bike does not pitch abruptly and roll off. Also, occasionally, I have locked the brake: a velcro strap tightly wound around front brake lever. Great parking brake.

If you are planning on a really wavy crossing (like going to Victoria, for example), be prepared to tie down your bike. Usually, the crew will instruct you to do so. I carry my own straps for that purpose - I either tie the bike down with them or at least use them to extend the provided straps or ropes: these tend to be grimy and soaked with oil. I also carry disposable gloves (yes, I know it is feeble, so?) - that way I do not have to ride the rest of the day with hands and gloves reeking of diesel.

Rarely, on some ferries, the crew will insist on pulling a strap across the seat. I usually try to discourage that, as it stresses the stand - and does not help anyway, since the bike settles on shocks.

Also, as mwnahas posted: make sure no helpful crew member ties down your handlebars!

Here is an example for turbulent crossings: 2 straps up front, one from the rear wheel, on a ferry to Goose Bay, Labrador.

In picture above, the front straps are attached to the crash bar - not really applicable to the LT. For the Light Truck, it's best to go to the front fork brace, as demonstrated on this Newfoundland ferry crossing. You can see the strap pulling the rear wheel.
Notice how I extended the crew's straps with mine.

But, as I wrote, if you are only going to use river ferries, there should be no issue (though the brake lock won't hurt). Just park the damn thing.

Look at what the other riders do and follow their example.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdwalker; Feb 9th, 2011 at 3:48 pm.
post #6 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 2:01 pm

I would trust the side stand over the centerstand. And I would tie the front brake lever closed just for GP's. But that's just me.

- Joe
post #7 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 2:56 pm Thread Starter

Much help, my 05 LT leans so far on its side stand that although it may be safe, with it loaded I bust a nut to right it, thus the reason I like to pump up the centerstand everytime. However it is a little squirrely on a slick surface, lends to walk around.
The velcro on brake lever is a good idea when the bike is on the side stand, but for a 15 hr crossing im sure it would kill the battery. Could disconnect the battery but then I go threw all the reprograming.
post #8 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshawk
Much help, my 05 LT leans so far on its side stand that although it may be safe, with it loaded I bust a nut to right it ...
The velcro on brake lever is a good idea when the bike is on the side stand, but for a 15 hr crossing im sure it would kill the battery. ....
The opposite here - not having the electro-hydraulic stand, I am often unable to lift a fully loaded LT on or drop off the centerstand, so I with the Light Truck am forced to use the sidestand anyway.

I am surprised that the bike leans so far for you. Are sure you do not have too much play in the side stand pivot? I always felt that my LT's did not lean enough, ready to tip over the other side, with the slope even slightly to the right.

Regarding battery - I am only familiar with the GS power brakes, but: the servos run for you with the ignition key off?

Robert in Northern NJ

post #9 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 3:15 pm

In the attached pics you can see both methods, sidestand and centerstand. This ferry ride was a 24 hour 24 knots strech from Finland to Germany.

I used to travel almost weekly on fast ferry from Finland to Estonia and I preferred the side stand method. That way the bike has three support points.

Centerstand is Ok as long as you don't leave the bike untied. Plus leaving it on gear helps nothing (as your rear tire is in the air). The centerstand is pretty slippery on the steel deck so you need to secure the bike somehow from rocking back and forth and especially off the centerstand.

The other two pics describe a simple and cheap tie system in which you can fasten the tie down ropes of the ferry (provided that they have those...)

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT_Treffen_Laiva_08-05-19-0016.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	934.0 KB
ID:	30373   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT_Treffen_Laiva_08-05-19-0017.JPG
Views:	1261
Size:	955.3 KB
ID:	30374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kuva 4.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	1,005.6 KB
ID:	30375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kuva 6.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	995.6 KB
ID:	30376  

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #10 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
The other two pics describe a simple and cheap tie system in which you can fasten the tie down ropes of the ferry (provided that they have those...)
Regards
Hey, Ari, you are the Farkle King! Your bike is even equipped with eyebolts for tiedowns. Too much...

I had to smile about another one of your pictures. The other bikes park perpendicularly, but the LT gets its own parking space! Neat! Truly a Light Truck.

A brief hijack of thread: Your license plate reminded me of a question I always wanted to ask a Finn. Do you know why the country designator was changed from Suomi-Finland? (From SF to FIN?)

Robert in Northern NJ

post #11 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Hey, Ari, you are the Farkle King! Your bike is even equipped with eyebolts for tiedowns. Too much...

I had to smile about another one of your pictures. The other bikes park perpendicularly, but the LT gets its own parking space! Neat! Truly a Light Truck.

A brief hijack of thread: Your license plate reminded me of a question I always wanted to ask a Finn. Do you know why the country designator was changed from Suomi-Finland? (From SF to FIN?)
Hi Robert,

you are right about the special parking. LT is already as such somewhat longer than the other bikes but I had my special luggage rack installed (which you can barely see in the picture) so it would have been way too long for the width of the "bike lane".

As far as the SF to FIN is concerned, you seem to be well informed...If I remember correctly the original Suomi-Finland (SF) was changed to FIN somewhere in the 80's or maybe even earlier. The reason was that very few foreigners knew the words that the SF was abbreviated from..("Suomi" is the the name of our country in Finnish) Actually too many thought SF came from "Soviet Finland". So somebody figured that FIN is less confusing and therefore that became the official abbreviation of our country.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #12 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 3:51 pm

Quote:
...If I remember correctly the original Suomi-Finland (SF) was changed to FIN somewhere in the 80's or maybe even earlier...
Oh, boy, now I feel old.

Have a great ride - hopefully the season starts for you soon, too.

Robert in Northern NJ

post #13 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Quote:
Oh, boy, now I feel old.

Have a great ride - hopefully the season starts for you soon, too.
Yup, time flies doesn't it...

Thanks for the wishes, but his year it looks like we will not start the riding for another two months. We are having close to 3 feet snow but I guess that is pretty much the same in your Northern States as well.

If you come to CCR, we will see in Idaho!

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #14 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Robert
What do you mean by "sidestand Pivot"? do you mean as in wear? if that is the case none. And reguarding brakes, they are minimal with the key off but existent.

and to Ari
The eye bolt is a great idea, however finding a metric one in the U.S. will be quite a hunt.
Say have to drilled a weep hole for your clutch? Oh nothing just quite a puddle in that area on picture #1
post #15 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 5:34 pm

I rode the Ferry a few times at the Outer Banks. I have always used the side stand and stayed with bike for the most part. Not bragging here but have made these crossings with mostly people on Harleys crossing also. The LT always gets the most attention. I some times feel bad for the HD riders. Maybe people think that there Pirates.
post #16 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Robert
What do you mean by "sidestand Pivot"? do you mean as in wear? ...
Yes, that is what I thought - on some other bikes the sidestand had a lot of up-and-down play and would allow the bike to tip over sideways more than normally.

Robert in Northern NJ

post #17 of 39 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 8:24 pm

James, Living on an island in the pacific northwest, I ride the ferries all the time on my bike. Even the roughest crossing, the Keystone to Port townsend ferry across the straights, I always use the side stand. I have twice stayed with my bike when the waves were bad, and the boat was pretty bouncy, but I don't think you will encounter anything that severe, also the victoria ferries are much larger, and are not as subject to sea surface activity as the smaller boat used in the keystone-PT ferry run. If your bike feels like it is tipping too much, you can cut a plywood square to use as a pad for the side stand. As has been related in some previous posts, always put the bike in gear, and roll it forward before putting it on the stand. I am not sure about the victoria ferry, but none of the other ferries I have ridden in the system here have tie down areas like the photo in the other post shows. Don't worry! All of these ferry runs here including the victoria are inland waters. You will have fun, and your bike will NOT tip over!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #18 of 39 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 7:01 am

Quote:
and to Ari
The eye bolt is a great idea, however finding a metric one in the U.S. will be quite a hunt.
Say have to drilled a weep hole for your clutch? Oh nothing just quite a puddle in that area on picture #1
The eye bolt that I have is from a boat store. Stainless steel with standard 8 mm thread. I would assume that for you guys it is easier to find metric bolts than for us to find the inch stuff.

As far as the oil puddle...Lucky that it was not my bike on that picture! And in fact, that bike started giving clutch malfunction symptoms some two three days later. We were heading down to South Germany and my buddy continued to Switzerland and Italy and his clutch problems got worse. He made it back home but some weeks later he had to have the clutch done.
Actually the oil was from a Hardly Ableson that occupied the same spot on the previous trip...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #19 of 39 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 8:00 am

Tie Down Straps -

I've carried these from the beginning of my K1200LT ownership along with pictures and instructions, but never used. I was told they would be handy if the bike ever needed to be carried or tied down. I scanned the instructions and the nylon straps are about 15" long with 5" loops on both ends. I always keep them in my tool kit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0225.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	30380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0226.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	30381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tie Down Instructions 001.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	30382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tie Down Instructions 002.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	30383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tie Down Instructions 003.jpg
Views:	1278
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	30384  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #20 of 39 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 10:05 am
FrP

The ferry (Badger) that crosses Lake Michigan from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI requires the rider to supply at least two tie-downs. I haven't done it yet with my LT, but when I had my GT, I did not put either of the stands down. The tie-downs kept the bike upright without any stand.
post #21 of 39 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 11:30 am

I have used the ferry to go from Maine to Nova Scotia, none of the crew did anything other than point to where the straps were. These were big, wide straps suitable for securing trucks. We put or bikes on their side stands and put a strap over the seat. They rode fine this way however I put my jacket between the strap and the seat to prevent damage. The crazy thing was that some riders had parked their bikes and just left them, we took it upon ourselves to tie them down as i was afraid they would fall over on our bikes. The seas were rough and any non strapped bike would have gone down.
post #22 of 39 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 10:16 pm

James, I carry ratchet straps and go around the front forks, just be careful around the front brake lines. Leave the bike on the side stand and it will not take a lot of tension. I start on the left side just a few clicks, then snug the right. Rear usually not a problem just leave in gear. Can't seem to dumb down the pics or I'd send you a few...
post #23 of 39 Old Feb 11th, 2011, 1:02 am

Just a small note about the BC ferries, they have blocks (like big wedges) that you can wedge under the front and back tires when on the centre stand. You can go farther by wedging them under the front and back of the front tire as well as one under the back tire. I've never had a problem when I do that.

Bill
05 K1200 LT
post #24 of 39 Old Feb 11th, 2011, 8:08 am

Quote:
The eye bolt that I have is from a boat store. Stainless steel with standard 8 mm thread. I would assume that for you guys it is easier to find metric bolts than for us to find the inch stuff.

Regards

Ari,

I know it can vary by adding/deleting some of the washers, but what is the length that you used with your pictured number of washers?

Cheers,
Glenn

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #25 of 39 Old Feb 11th, 2011, 1:02 pm

We carried our own ratchet straps for the crossing from Tomermory to South Baymouth and also from Cedar Island to Ocracoke and had no problems. Many ferries will have tie downs you can use, but they tend to be quite first. We also put the bikes on the sidestands to provide more support.
post #26 of 39 Old Feb 11th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
Ari,

I know it can vary by adding/deleting some of the washers, but what is the length that you used with your pictured number of washers?

Cheers,
Glenn
Hi Glenn,

unfortunately the pictures were taken from another bike (as I have the German Wudo tie down system) so don't have access to the bolts. However, I checked the bolt length from the catalog and the overall length of the bolt (including the ring) is 60 mm. So the thread length is approx 35 to 40 mm. You can count the amount of washers from my photo.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #27 of 39 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 12:06 pm

Took the ferry from the mainland to Whidbey Island in the Seattle area once. These ferries are pretty good sized in that they carry up to 2500 passengers and a few over 200 vehicles. The loading order rule is normally that pedestrians load first, motorcycles second, etc. The loader boss guy came over and told me that he was going to change the order a little bit because the water was pretty rough. He loaded us as close to mid ship as possible. Halfway bow to stern and as close the the center line port to starboard as possible.

Put it on the side stand and sat on it the whole trip. While at the dock the boat was moving up and down what looked like 8-10 feet. It was more likely a roll along the centerline axis. There were large pilings alongside the boat and they would appear and disappear from view. The guy said that it got rough just before they reached the halfway point of the trip. He was right. It got rough but the bike on the side stand, me on the seat combo got it safely across.

Loved it but was glad to get to the other side.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #28 of 39 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 2:13 pm

Wink Re: Ferry Rides

Just one little FYI Loren if you ever decide to take one of those "Blue Canoes" (Alaska Marine Highway Ferry) up the inside passage to Alaska: You are not allowed on the car deck except for short periods while underway! They will pipe when you can go down during a "Car Deck Call" so that those with pets riding in the vehicles may go down to feed, water, and walk their pets. I always went down to check on the LT during those calls just for peace of mind.

And I always put her on the center stand with four point tie-downs that I installed! Never had a problem during at least three years of traveling up & down the Inside Passage that way! But I would concede that the side stand method is probably stabler with two tires on the ground.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Took the ferry from the mainland to Whidbey Island in the Seattle area once. These ferries are pretty good sized in that they carry up to 2500 passengers and a few over 200 vehicles. The loading order rule is normally that pedestrians load first, motorcycles second, etc. The loader boss guy came over and told me that he was going to change the order a little bit because the water was pretty rough. He loaded us as close to mid ship as possible. Halfway bow to stern and as close the the center line port to starboard as possible.

Put it on the side stand and sat on it the whole trip. While at the dock the boat was moving up and down what looked like 8-10 feet. It was more likely a roll along the centerline axis. There were large pilings alongside the boat and they would appear and disappear from view. The guy said that it got rough just before they reached the halfway point of the trip. He was right. It got rough but the bike on the side stand, me on the seat combo got it safely across.

Loved it but was glad to get to the other side.

Loren

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #29 of 39 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 5:11 pm

I got tired of waiting for the ferry, so just backed it up a quarter mile, hit the ton and did an "Evil Knievel".

(It was truly weird getting a private ferry ride...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Utah vacation pictures 098.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	30397  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Feb 12th, 2011 at 5:20 pm.
post #30 of 39 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 5:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I got tired of waiting for the ferry, so just backed it up a quarter mile, hit the ton and did an "Evil Knievel".
looks like you can easily ride around that little pond

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #31 of 39 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
looks like you can easily ride around that little pond
Indeed, it's only 100 miles and about 2.5 hours.

It's only 12 miles to the other bank - and 40 minutes this way.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #32 of 39 Old Feb 12th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Be careful on the wet ferry decks.
Was in Nova Scotia this summer and took the ferry from St John NB to Digby and they ferry deck was very slick. It was compounded by cat litter that turned to snot/slobber when it really got wet.

Went down going down the ramp, No damage to the bike or me but I had the fragrance of a can of sardines for the remainder of the voyage.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #33 of 39 Old Feb 14th, 2011, 8:23 am

Quote:
Hi Glenn,

unfortunately the pictures were taken from another bike (as I have the German Wudo tie down system) so don't have access to the bolts. However, I checked the bolt length from the catalog and the overall length of the bolt (including the ring) is 60 mm. So the thread length is approx 35 to 40 mm. You can count the amount of washers from my photo.

Regards

Thank you Ari.

Now I am interested in the German Wudo tie down system. Stand by Google, here I come.

Cheers

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #34 of 39 Old Feb 14th, 2011, 9:23 am

I did one of the OUterbanks ferries a couple years back on the LT. The staff put all the bikes on last at the back. No tiedowns. I used sidestand to give a wide footprint and the ride was easy enough. I don't remember the bike moving at all. I stayed with it and it was a nice ride. The HD guys were enjoying looking at all the features on the LT.

Enjoy your trip.
Randy
post #35 of 39 Old Feb 14th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
Thank you Ari.

Now I am interested in the German Wudo tie down system. Stand by Google, here I come.

Cheers
Hi Glenn, I found that the English link of Wudo website was somehow out of order. So here is the German manual of the Wudo system:

http://www.wuedo.de/service/95-11-60-12.pdf

My personal opinion is that this is a nice and quite pricey set and it is useful if you frequently haul your bike on a trailer or so. But if you only need to tie down the bike on an occasional boat trip then it is waste of money (if I remember correctly it was close to 250 euros = about 320 USD + shipping). The ring bolt system works just as well and costs under 10 dollars.

The nice (and expensive) part in the Wudo system is the piece that comes between the front forks just under the steering damper. It is a well finished part and works fine but it is quite clumsy to carry along during travelling. Unlike the side tie down points, the front piece cannot be left in place during riding. So you have to find a place to put it while travelling.

I purchased my set back in 2006 in preparation for my bike flight from Frankfurt to Calgary. The most frustrating was the fact that the air freight company refused to use my nice (and expensive) Wudo set to tie down my bike on the pallet! The reason was that they only want to use straps and tie systems that are orignally designed for aircraft use. This was for the insurance coverage as well...

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #36 of 39 Old Feb 14th, 2011, 6:50 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Ferry Rides

This system works for me and is simple to use.
The straps are those used for securing bags when checking in luggage etc. I just added an eyelet that you would use to make a tarp. When not in use I fold them over flat, wrap them tightly in cling film to stay dry, and store them behind the pillion seat. It takes only a minute or two to undo the pillion seat bolts, (5mm or 6mm hex key IIRC) remove the straps and secure them tightly under the seat through the bolts. Don't have to remove the seat fully and the seat heat plug can remain connected. I ask the ferry guys for two floor locks and a couple of chocks. When parking I make sure the floor fittings are angled just behind the seat bolts, so when tied down they also prevent the bike rolling forward on the center stand, which I always use. As the attach points are high, they have good leverage on the bike. Mostly pull a trailer so the back wheel is on the deck, use the chocks for the rear bike wheel, which due to the hitch weight is on the deck or trailer wheels if I can get 4 chocks. Leaving it in gear on the center stand only helps if the wheel is on the deck, although it does help to secure the chocks. In my case with Wilbur shocks the bike sits higher than stock and leans over on the side stand more than I'm comfortable with.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5083.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	30423   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5084.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	30424   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5085.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	30425   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5086.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	30426  

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #37 of 39 Old Oct 5th, 2011, 3:39 pm

We crossed Lake Michigan Ludington MI to Manitowoc WI on the SS Badger w a K1200LT, The ferry company allowed us to board the night before but we had to furnish two ratchet straps (or they will sell you a set of 2 for $13). I added two short loops of heavy cord around the front seat latch to allow the upper hooks, and the Badger had steel grating & welded twisted rod for the lower hooks. I put it in gear on the side stand, & tied it down with the straps pulling slightly rearward.

There were three bikes on the crossing, two BMWs and a Harley. The other BMW (a GS) must have fallen over in the crossing as he was paged. I measured the actual roll of the Badger as +/- 4 degrees max. There had been a lot of N wind over Michigan for the preceding days.

It was a nice running 60 year old genuine coal fired (I) piston steam powered ship. We had a stateroom the night before and after the 9 AM departure from Ludington MI where they also serve breakfast - all for $70. Too bad the TSA has made engine room tours verboten.

and too bad the EPA says they have to convert to natural gas in another year.
post #38 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 12:15 pm

Quote:
In picture above, the front straps are attached to the crash bar - not really applicable to the LT.
When I bought my (used) LT, it came without the front plastic tip over covers. The previous owned had clamped on highway pegs to the bars underneath. They look sturdy enough to be used as a tie down point. Is removal of the covers difficult? It looks like they just snap in place.

All in all, I wish I had the covers instead of the highway pegs.
post #39 of 39 Old Oct 6th, 2011, 4:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

niel_petersen said
Quote:
We crossed Lake Michigan Ludington MI to Manitowoc WI on the SS Badger w a K1200LT, The ferry company allowed us to board the night before ...> We had a stateroom the night before and after the 9 AM departure from Ludington MI where they also serve breakfast
We have taken the SS Badger to Wisconsin & back twice. We went over to Wisconsin to go to the AMA Superbike races at Road America. The first time We stayed in a motel in Ludington , & it was organized confusion getting loaded in the morning.

The second time We stayed in a stateroom overnight on the Badger. It is kind of neat, you have your bike loaded ,& you can relax. They had moves going & you could get something to eat for dinner.

In the spring & Fall they make one trip a day from Ludington to Manitowoc & back. So durning that time the ship is docked in Ludington over night . In the summer they make the trip twice a day, once during the day & once at night .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in