Brakes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Feb 8th, 2011, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Brakes

Hi guys, I am new to this forum having just bought a 2005 K1200LT last week. I am a life-long sport bike rider and an ex-racer so although an experienced motorcyclist this is my first foray into the touring world. Call it mid-life crisis but I watched The Long Way Round and got inspired. I picked the bike up in Phoenix last week and rode it back to Houston. I nearly crashed within the first 5 minutes - the thing is so heavy that I feel like a beginner at slow speeds. However, once I got it going it was fun. However, I am having a really hard time with the brakes. The previous owner told me to be very cautious of the front brake at slow speeds. Quite a learning curve for a sport rider who never uses the rear brake except to balance the bike. On the BMW when I approach a stop sign or light I instinctively grab the front brake and the thing stops dead in its tracks 15 feet short of where I intended. I know that if I don't master this I will drop it before very long - is this a common experience? I know that the brakes are servo assisted etc. but they have no feel - they seem to be full on or full off and they scare the hell out of me.
Comments appreciated.
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Feb 8th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Re: Brakes

easy does it. They are power brakes.
Practice. dont even think about using the front brake in the parking lot.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 8th, 2011, 8:15 pm

You have a 2005 which means you have integral abs which means for all intents there is no separate front or rear brake they are tied together and yes they will stop you on a dime. This is a power assisted system with very slight input required to brake I know that it seems like all or nothing right now but you'll learn to touch the handle with a feather to achieve what you want.

You've learned the first lesson of Not grabbing the brakes with the bar's turned you will end up on your face in nothing flat.

I would strongly suggest bleeding the brake system it helped tame mine from grabbing or at least that's what appears to have happened.

You'll get used to weight and top heavy nature of the bike fairly quick and then you'll find out just how nimble that big girl really is she may act like a boxer but she moves like a ballerina.

Happy riding and welcome to the Mad house

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 8th, 2011, 8:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

They are touchy and hard to get used to at first. Try using only one finger on the front brake instead of the whole hand. I very rarely use the brake at all until just before I come to a stop. Use the gears just like your sport bikes, she is good to 62 mph in first gear before you will hit the revlimiter. You will learn the "feel" after a while.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 19 Old Feb 8th, 2011, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments guys. Sounds like my bike is typical and that the problem is me! On my Triumph Speed Triple I can grab the front brake so hard it will life the rear wheel so one finger braking is going to take some getting used to. Other than that though the bike is awesome - the trip back through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas was beautiful and through the Texas Hill County I had the cruise set at 90 and took the sweeping bends like it was on rails with U2 on the stereo. It was a new and pleasant experience. Thankfully I think I chose the 2 best days this winter for the trip - 60 degrees and not a cloud in sight. I appreciate the quick response to my enquiry.
Andy
post #6 of 19 Old Feb 8th, 2011, 8:38 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Enjoy her Andy. I am headed out to New Mexico myself in two weeks on the LT and after three weeks of work I will head down into Big Bend for some sightseeing and R & R.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 19 Old Feb 8th, 2011, 8:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Check out the South Central forum. Several riders in your area. We are having a tech session in March.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59524

Look for an RTE in the forum. You will meet a lot of old pharts.

dan
post #8 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 10:01 am

Hi Andy,

I'm another brand new LT rider. I recently bought a 1999 LT and am experiencing all sorts of relearning issues too. The bike doesn't ride like any smaller bike I have ever ridden. I've gotten a lot of good advice here. I don't have power assisted brakes, nor do I have an integrated braking system so that is not one of my concerns. I've been more vexed by low speed handling of the bike, which I now call "The Beast" (that is said lovingly).

Michael

1999 K1200LT (recently sold, 6/11)
1992 Harley FXR
1982 Honda Sabre (long gone)
1978 Honda CB750K (long gone)
1975 Honda CB360 (long gone, stolen)
1969 Kawasaki 650 W2SS (long gone)
1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler (long gone)
post #9 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 11:12 am

My previous bike was a CBR1100XX, and various sport bikes before that. I can no longer do long rides on those due to joint issues, so it was time for an LT or not riding at all.

I'm re-training myself to stop using both brakes. On the LT the rear brake does actually have stopping power since the rear wheel has plenty of weight on it, so this is the safest thing to do. With the ABS, you don't have to worry about locking it up.

Everyone warns not to use the front brake at low speeds, but I haven't found it a problem. Sure it will pull the bike around, that's predictable, all bikes do that. This just has more weight behind it. I can't say whether it's good advice for everyone, but after a couple thousand miles of nearly all city use I haven't come close to dumping it and I never hesitate to use the front brake in any situation.

If you haven't been on a bike for a little while, which sounds like the case, you should take the MSF Experienced Rider Course (ERC) for a refresher and some practice. The coursework is great, and you'll get an insurance discount.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 9th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
Everyone warns not to use the front brake at low speeds, but I haven't found it a problem. Sure it will pull the bike around, that's predictable, all bikes do that. This just has more weight behind it. I can't say whether it's good advice for everyone, but after a couple thousand miles of nearly all city use I haven't come close to dumping it and I never hesitate to use the front brake in any situation.
The advice not to use the front brakes with the front wheel turned is valid. It usually begins with "don't grab a handful of brake lever". If you don't think the big girl will take a dirt nap with you aboard, grab a handful and ride it out. She'll 'splain it to you, right quick.

I use both brakes at all times too, but the difference is, you've got to go carefully when moving slowly.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #11 of 19 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 11:25 am

"Don't grab a handful" applies at nearly all times. I'd never think of it in a parking lot. After this reading this thread I made a point to be more mindful of my ride yesterday, and it's just natural for me to use the front brake so I can have both feet ready for the stop. Trying to use the rear brake makes me feel less in control since my foot is not ready to hold the bike up. But hey, everyone should figure out what works well for them.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #12 of 19 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by arobert3
Hi guys, I am new to this forum having just bought a 2005 K1200LT last week. I am a life-long sport bike rider and an ex-racer so although an experienced motorcyclist this is my first foray into the touring world. Call it mid-life crisis but I watched The Long Way Round and got inspired. I picked the bike up in Phoenix last week and rode it back to Houston. I nearly crashed within the first 5 minutes - the thing is so heavy that I feel like a beginner at slow speeds. However, once I got it going it was fun. However, I am having a really hard time with the brakes. The previous owner told me to be very cautious of the front brake at slow speeds. Quite a learning curve for a sport rider who never uses the rear brake except to balance the bike. On the BMW when I approach a stop sign or light I instinctively grab the front brake and the thing stops dead in its tracks 15 feet short of where I intended. I know that if I don't master this I will drop it before very long - is this a common experience? I know that the brakes are servo assisted etc. but they have no feel - they seem to be full on or full off and they scare the hell out of me.
Comments appreciated.
Andy
Normally these brakes are not fully ON or OFF, unless you have something going on with the system.
I recall a few years ago my first experience with those servo assisted brakes on a new bike - I almost flew off it when attempted an emergency stop - it felt like the bike hit a wall, it just stopped right there. I wasn't ready for it, after switching from the Concourse with mushy brakes.
Luckily nothing happened, but it was a good lesson. After miles of use, you'll learn how to control this braking power and then when for some reason you switch to other bike, you'll have some scary moments again.

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #13 of 19 Old Feb 10th, 2011, 8:20 pm

I came to the LT from a Road King that had traditional, non-ABS, brakes. The old style hydrualic brakes communicate much more "feel" to the lever, allowing the rider to be more smooth and subtle at low speeds and stopping in normal traffic situations. It took me a full year on the LT to get acustomed to the integrated/assisted brakes and I'm still not as smooth as I would like to be. But the real test of a braking system is not low speeds, when you're trying to look cool, it's when your butt is puckering because a mini van just pulled out in front of you. The first time that happened to me, my LT stopped so hard and straight my arms about buckled and it felt like my helmet was going to be sucked off my head by g-force. Make no mistake, it stops quick. This bike will never be the slow ride ballet the Road King was but I wouldn't go back. I'd rather stay upright and offer the old one finger salute to the zombie in the mini van as I leave her in my rearview.

Brian Purvis
Park City, Utah

'05 K1200LT
'03 R1150RT
'04 Husaberg 650FE

post #14 of 19 Old Feb 13th, 2011, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys. I have been braking with one finger ever since and it works - I no longer feel like a total idiot at slow speeds although it is still a learning curve to be sure. Anyway I have sold the Speed Triple and commited to the LT so it is time learn to love each other!
post #15 of 19 Old Feb 14th, 2011, 6:55 am

I almost always use both brakes but am careful to see that my front wheel is pointing straight at low speeds, 1 finger on the front lever comes naturally after a while. I feel the same about being able to plant both feet when the bike comes to a total stop.

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
post #16 of 19 Old Feb 14th, 2011, 7:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
... you should take the MSF Experienced Rider Course (ERC) for a refresher and some practice. The coursework is great, and you'll get an insurance discount.
Best advice in the thread so far!

The exercises they put you through might seem like things you already know, but if you haven't done them on this bike you will have a learning experience (you might even go back to using your whole hand for braking!).

I re-take the ERC every 2-3 years, I enjoy having an opportunity to run myself and the bike through the paces and make sure my reactions are still "appropriate." You will do maximum braking exercises in a straight line and in a lean. These are good things to do!

Enjoy the bike and welcome!

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
post #17 of 19 Old Feb 14th, 2011, 8:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
easy does it. They are power brakes.
Practice. dont even think about using the front brake in the parking lot.
I see a lot of comments on the forum about not using the front brake.
Two things: coming from the Harley world I always used my front brakes and I was under the belief that 2005 and later LT's had intergraded brakes. There is no, not using the front brake.
Am I mistaken?
post #18 of 19 Old Feb 14th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw
I see a lot of comments on the forum about not using the front brake.
Two things: coming from the Harley world I always used my front brakes and I was under the belief that 2005 and later LT's had intergraded brakes. There is no, not using the front brake.
Am I mistaken?
Its not 50/50. On my 03 which should be the same bmw breaks as the 05, if you gently tap on the rear break your front brake does not apply as soon as the rear. If you stomp on the rear your front will engage too. If you grab the front more front will apply than rear. You can try it on the center stand with the front wheel supported up. Press on the rear break turing the rear wheel by hand, have someone else turn the front. You can even hear the power assist servo pitch change when the other brake engages. You can try this on a long straight road too. Pull on the front hard, then step on the rear and you'll feel the added breaking power. Its impressive stopping power. Grabbing the front break in the parking lot while the front wheel is turned even slightly and you'll go down. A lot of us learned the hard way. Not me of course.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #19 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2011, 6:17 am

Thanks for the info. I wil give it a try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in