Seat strut - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

Seat strut

Installed a new Corbin seat and it is too heavy for the installed seat strut. The seat will not stay up without some other support. Anyone have the same problem? Anyone have a source for another strut that can support the added weight? Of course I am assuming the installed strut is good, just not designed for the heavier seat. The Corbin also has the backrest that makes it even heavier. But the seat will not stay up without the backrest either.

2009 R1200RT
2006 K1200LT Gone
2009 Wee Strom Gone
2002 Concours Gone
2004 KLR650 Gone
1984 and 1988 Goldwings Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 12:52 pm

Re: Seat strut

Your Strut is fine the Seat pan Corbin uses is extremely heavy not at all sure why it was designed the way it is. Your best bet would be to find a strut that will handle the extra weight if you're going to keep the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmasparky
Installed a new Corbin seat and it is too heavy for the installed seat strut. The seat will not stay up without some other support. Anyone have the same problem? Anyone have a source for another strut that can support the added weight? Of course I am assuming the installed strut is good, just not designed for the heavier seat. The Corbin also has the backrest that makes it even heavier. But the seat will not stay up without the backrest either.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 7:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmasparky
Your strut is normal. I just added a Corbin seat to my bike as well and the seat won't stay up.

Steve
2005 K1200LT

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 8:29 pm

I have same problem with Corbin seat. Strut was keeping oem seat up easily, but cannot hold heavy Corbin. I made little piece from scrap aluminium to hold it up. See attached pictures.
It is small and can be velcroed under the seat for storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	30348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0929.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	989.1 KB
ID:	30349   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	30350  

Esko
2000 K1200LTC

Last edited by eskov; Feb 3rd, 2011 at 9:48 pm.
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 4th, 2011, 7:33 am

Thanks for the tip! I have the same problem and was using a tall spray can to prop the seat up which worked but was extremely inconvenient. I have the stock seat on now as the heater seems so much better than the Corbin's but will be putting the Corbin back on again soon for the long distance rally season.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobobomy!
87 K100RS Tooling round town edition
01 K1200LT Luxo-Barge
83 Yamaha XJ Turbo Forced Air Futility
83 GPz 1100 Thrashed, Trashed & Crashed
74 Honda 500-4 Mad Max reincarnate
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 4th, 2011, 7:46 am

Same here that Corbin is too heavy. I carry a MagLite flash light in a tool tray under the seat and it just happens to be the right diameter to fit into the hinge.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #7 of 7 Old Feb 4th, 2011, 10:34 am

I find that on my 2007 if I take the backrest off then the strut will hold the seat up fairly well. If I have the backrest on then it can't hold it at all. If you find one please let us know where and what the part number is so we can look at changing them as well.

Ken Riach

2007 K1200LT

"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in