Tie down LT in box truck - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Tie down LT in box truck

I need to tie down my LT in a Budget rental truck, and move my daughter 700 miles, all interstate hwy. I believe the truck has rings on the walls, not the floor, so that is my dillemma, how to secure it to the walls, not the floor? There will also be a lot of furniture, etc in the truck, but the bike is the most important issue. Any ideas? The truck has a 16' box and a ramp, and I'm not sure of the spacing of the rings, won't know until I get there.

BMRBOB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 6:22 pm

Re: Tie down LT in box truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrbob
I need to tie down my LT in a Budget rental truck, and move my daughter 700 miles, all interstate hwy. I believe the truck has rings on the walls, not the floor, so that is my dillemma, how to secure it to the walls, not the floor? There will also be a lot of furniture, etc in the truck, but the bike is the most important issue. Any ideas? The truck has a 16' box and a ramp, and I'm not sure of the spacing of the rings, won't know until I get there.
Couple of thots...

Is the truck big enuf to handle all that furniture AND the bike? Folks collect a lot of "stuff". 16 feets sounds like a small van and yet you say that there will be a lot of furniture...

Also.. don't trust wall rings... Thin plywood is used in these boxes. Haven't seen one yet that was all steel and I've removed a couple of rings in my day...

Rent / Borrow / Purloin a bike trailer. No matter how much stuff there is in the box, the bike has it's very own spot. And it's very own spot will have quality tie-downs... Provided the 16 feets box has a trailer hitch on it. Better on a trailer then inadvertently occupying a space normally reserved for frozen streaks in the event you have to jump on the binders. LT's don't fit to well in double door Whirlpool...

my $.02...

just sayin...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 6:46 pm

I read about doing this on another board.

They suggested using a harbor freight wheel chock either bolted to a piece of plywood or some 2x4s.

Also tie the bike using the existing tie downs in te uhaul. Maybe wedge in a mattress on both sides of the bike for good measure...

Most importantly do not tell the uhaul guys your plans. I heard they will not rent a uhaul for this purpose.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 8:26 pm

I believe I would be more concerned about getting the LT off of the truck. I don't think there is enough room to turn the LT around inside the truck bed, so the only option is to back it down the ramp. Whew! I couldn't do that without some strong arms on both sides of the bike. If you don't have that covered, use the trailer behind the truck as suggested above.

Jonny Oliver

2000 K1200 LT
1993 K1100 LT

Concord, NC
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:39 pm

I've moved a few times using those type of trucks...I would never, ever trust those skinny walls to hold up my baby. If it were me I would tow a trailer...

Wade

99 K-1200LT
82 Yamaha Virago (Girl of my youth)

"No one knows as much as all of us do." --General George Patton

post #6 of 8 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 6:52 am

I hauled my LT back from Grand Junction in the back of a 16' box truck. I rode it in after I parked in the ditch and pulled out the ramp. I put it in the center up front against the wall. I tied it off at 6 spots, 2 forward, 2 side and 2 rear. It rode fine all the way home. When I got home I parked in the ditch and backed my truck up to the box van and backed my bike off into it. Pulled the truck up to a ramp and rode it off.............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #7 of 8 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 7:06 am

Get your own "D" rings and screw them in where you want. The ply on the walls have to be attached somewhere.....find that location and put in your rings. Front wheel chalk would be essential. Not so sure I'd want the bike in front of furniture that could come forward on hard braking. The down side to being in the rear is driving over bumps. Remember what it was like with school buses. You always wanted to sit in the back for going over bumps.

I agree....getting it on and off might be the most challenging part.

Or....you could borrow someone elses bike that didn't matter...maybe a Har...... OOOPS....I didn't mean that!

Let us know what you end up doing.

Rocket Ron

2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 8:21 am

I did a my move from Indianapolis to Phoenix 10 years ago with my then 99LT and a
R1100 S, both I strapped to the tie positions on the side of the truck. Then I did the same a couple years later, when I moved my daughter to College in Colorado from Phoenix with only the 99LT. Both times the tie downs were secure, no issues whatsoever. As to turning it around, what I did was to have 2-friends help me back the LT into the truck, so on the other end, when I would not have benefit of the assistance, I could ride it out.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in