steering dampner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 11:35 pm Thread Starter

steering dampner

Well my 2001 K1200LT just lost all the fluid in the steering dampner. I could not believe the cost of a new one. I have been searching for maybe a after market or Rebuild? Anyone have any info on this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 11:57 pm

Re: steering dampner

You will find quite a lot of info if you search for "steering damper." Here's a couple good threads:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...teering+damper

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...teering+damper

2002 K1200LT
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:05 am

Re: steering dampner

I posted this previously probably in a not so noticable post. I have been reading with interest the many innovations and adventures of this group. I am posting on this particular subject because I believe I have come up with a rebuild/repair to the steering damper.

For a bit of history I have the 1999 K1200LT that I bought used with about 26000 miles in the end of 2008. I now have oover 50,000 miles on it.I guess I like the bike. The steering damper seals failed somewhere about 30000 miles and I completed the rebuild as suggested on this forum with like seals from a bearing service place. The repair lasted about a year. After doing this one more time with the same results I was looking for a better solution. It would appear that the seals that BMW used are special in design an stiffness but still will fail as all of us have found eventually.

The damper itself is a nicely designed unit and does lend itself to being repaired fairly easily other than this seal issue. My current solution was to replace the seals with a machined aluminium plug the same size as the seal but with grooves to accommodate standard o-rings you can get anywhere. A groove cut on the inside and on the outside to seal the unit. I have access to an excellent machine shop that can now make these fairly easily since we got the right tools to accurately reproduce this.

The results so far are about 7,000 or so miles and not a drop of hydraulic fluid and function is wonderful. The question I have is there anyone on this site interested in repairing their damper with this technique? Between the machine shop and me to make it worth our while $50 for the machined parts and some o-rings would be fair. We don't expect to get rich but have enough for a fair beer fund. You can directly email me at [email protected] if you have an individual inquiry. I am seriously interested in any comments on this.

I have come up with a radio improvement that works well even at highway speeds. It involves replacing the speakers with moder more capable ones and an efficient 4 channel amplifier. Love tinkering with this bike. Just finished installing the Spiegler brake lines since I saw many posts with brake issues. Mine was due.

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in