Lots of Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 8:41 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dnifong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: dublin, ga, usa
Posts: 238
Lots of Questions

OK, I have a usually proposal. My friend a wee strom rider has made a proposal that I cannot overlook. He wants to check off a coast to coast, and Iron Butt ride from his bucket list. He has agreed to pay for my hotel rooms, and flight back from San Diego. In return he gets to ride my bike back here. That is Jacksonville FL to San Diego Cal. Which is I-10 most of the way? That gives us both the opportunity to complete a bucket list item. I want to ride coast to coast, and so does he. He wants to do a 50CC, coast to coast in 50 hours. I dont know about that. However, I think that if the conditions are right, I could make 1000 miles in 24 hours and get an Iron Butt certificate, and finish the rest in 3 more days. I trust him with the motorcycle more than I do my brother.

Problem is, I dont know if I can hang. Im not getting any younger or healthier. I have a sedentary job. Im 51, and in fair shape. My left knee, left elbow, and neck start to hurt about 6 or 7 hours in. My neck seems to cause most of the problem. Mainly from the back draft causing pressure on the back of the helmet. We completed a 10 hour day last year but it was brutally cold. I purchased gerbings, top, bottom and socks since then.

So, Im looking for advice on how to train, and how to prepare the bike and logistics. Unfortunately, I work about 50 or 60 hours some weeks, so there is not much riding time for training. I just bought a stationary bike .

I think the best time of year would be the last week of April, or the 1st week in May of this year. The bike is good shape. Its a 2005 with 21K miles. Never had a major failure. Ive kept in serviced and changed the plastic fittings on the fuel tank. Shifter linkage makes me a little nervous.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Dale
dnifong is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 9:16 pm
Senior Member
 
RocketRon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: atlanta, georgia, usa
Posts: 329
Re: Lots of Questions

Dale,
First, I apologize for even responding since I've never done an Iron Butt and have never done a coast to coast. These are just some random thoughts.

I personally don't get enjoyment from "torturing" myself so I can brag about earning an Iron Butt or that I've driven X number of miles. That being said, if I had the time and money, I'd go coast to coast in a heartbeat ....even at the age of 61. But, I wouldn't do it on the interstate. I'd want to see America on the back roads.

I see no other way of "training" than to start riding 4,5,6 hrs at a time and frequently. It's too bad you don't have someone to ride with you. That would make the trip a lot easier. If you have to do it by yourself, XM radio might really help w/ all its music, comedy, talk radio, etc. Blue Tooth phone might help pass the time and keep your family from worrying so much. Make a list of the dealerships along the way. Keep tire plugs and an air pump with you. Maybe a AAA membership might be worthwhile. Above all, keep your "Anonymous" book with you.

Let us know what happens. You've got a great opportunity! Good luck!

Rocket Ron


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2002 LT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2002 Honda VTX1800R (gone)
RocketRon is offline  
post #3 of 23 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 9:25 pm
Senior Member
 
DanDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Posts: 4,835
Re: Lots of Questions

I have done a few 750 - 900 mile rides without much difficulty, but everyone is different.

If you are looking to work out before the ride and want a general plan, then work on your core. I do what's called and AB workout several days a week and if you strengthen the core, everything else will follow.

Exercises like planks, push-ups, sit-ups and leg lifts all strengthen your core. Lots more too it, but any health club can get you more specific information, or give me a call...I do these at our local rec center.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
DanDiver is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 9:37 pm
Senior Member
 
Lee510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Newton, NC, USA
Posts: 2,309
Re: Lots of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnifong
Problem is, I dont know if I can hang. Im not getting any younger or healthier. I have a sedentary job. Im 51, and in fair shape. My left knee, left elbow, and neck start to hurt about 6 or 7 hours in. My neck seems to cause most of the problem. Mainly from the back draft causing pressure on the back of the helmet.
Dale, I did an Iron Butt ride coming back from CCR 2009. SS1000 in conjunction with a BB1500. I had a Corbin seat on the 2000 LT I had at the time. I bought an AirRider and had it shipped to the hotel in Rapid City, SD. I could have never made the IB ride without it. On most rides, my left knee would hurt after about 50-60 miles. My left thigh and ...well, you know would start hurting at about 150 miles. I borrowed an Air Hawk for the trip and couldn't get comfortable on it. The AirRider raised my seating position about an inch or so and eased the pain. It didn't eliminate it, but it sure helped. Now I have a 2005 LT with a factory seat. I rode it to FL for the big RTE early this month. I brought the AirRider just in case, but didn't need it. As bad as most factory seats are, mine didn't cause the pain I experienced with the Corbin. Sounds like your pain is in the same place as mine and then some. A change of seats might be in order.

Good luck on the IB ride. If I never do another one, I've done it and have the certificates to remember it by.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
Lee510 is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 10:23 pm
Senior Member
 
fpmlt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,175
Re: Lots of Questions

I'd suggest stretching. Get limbered up, and I think you'll feel quite a difference.
fpmlt is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 10:33 pm
Sit
Senior Member
 
Sit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Posts: 426
Re: Lots of Questions

My neck and right shoulder tend to bother me on long rides also. I found that for the most part, I sit crooked on the bike, why I don't know, may be a back injury I have. To try to fix this, I do shoulder and back exercises year round and stretch my shoulders and neck at each stop and while riding. I also visit the chiropractor at the beginning of the year and sometimes in the middle. I have found that I can double my time on the bike before any stiffness sets in if I make sure to not favor one side over the other when sitting.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
Sit is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 9:27 am
Senior Member
 
pauleknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oviedo , FL, USA
Posts: 1,079
Re: Lots of Questions

A buddy and I have a planned date for April 9th depart JAX and head to San Diego for a CC50. Plan on taking 50 hours to San Diego and come back to FL 18th of April.

I have been doing a few 500 mile trips to "limber up".

No advice from me since this is the craziest thing I have other done.

I am attaching an Excel document that has some notes on stops, weather averages for April, some mileage calculations, budget, etc.

Any thoughts on my excel document is appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: xls trip plan .xls (285.0 KB, 53 views)

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pauleknight; Jan 31st, 2011 at 9:32 am.
pauleknight is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 9:38 am
Senior Member
 
kellenbenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tyler, TX, USA
Posts: 2,057
Re: Lots of Questions

I did a SS1000 in December....one thing that helped me was to keep your head moving. Interstate rides tend to have your head in one position for long periods of time. Do some neck exercises as you ride.

On slow portions I might stand up on the pegs and get the blood flow back to my knees.

A SS1000 would be a great warm up for that ride since it is a relatively easy ride. We finished in under 17 hours ending up with 1130 miles.


Ron


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
kellenbenz is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:09 am
Senior Member
 
tonygret's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Thousand Oaks, California, USA
Posts: 407
Re: Lots of Questions

Like RocketRon I never did a coast to coast on a bike but I have done it in a bit over 3 days in a car. I have also done about 700 miles in one day on the LT. That being said here are my thoughts.

To answer your questing of physically preparing. I don't think a couple of weeks of exercise is going to make a big difference if you haven't been doing it all along. It actually may make things worse. I think staying hydrated to avoid cramps would be number one and be smart enough to rest when your body has had enough. I know it is possible to doze off on a motorcycle. Don't ask me how!

The other thing is that I would make sure your tires and brakes are in the 75% plus range. I have seen seemingly good tires start out in the morning and be shredded to the chords by the time I got home that evening. I would be prepared for every type of weather and be willing to stop when common sense dictates and not let anyone convince me to continue just to prove something.

You wrote: "In return he gets to ride my bike back here". If I understand this correctly I "believe" you mean your buddy's conditions is that you ride his V-Strom back and he rides your LT. Have you ever ridden his V-Strom. I have had one I can tell you there is no comparison at half the weight. First you can run into all kinds of adverse weather conditions and being on a unfamiliar bike can be dangerous. I know from experience the V-Strom blows around in the wind like a leaf in a hurricane. I would suggest you put a bunch of miles on that other bike before you agree to that part of the deal.

Also I agree with some if the other guys. I would love to take this ride, but an all out run on the interstate just so you can put miles on the bike seems like a waste of a wonderful opportunity (And boring). I would take lesser traveled roads when possible and take the time to take in some of the spectacular sites this country has to offer.

Last I am jealous! If you decide to go have a great time and make sure you post your journey here. Good luck.

Last edited by tonygret; Jan 31st, 2011 at 10:20 am.
tonygret is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 11:50 am
Senior Member
 
dougholck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lodi, CA, USA
Posts: 2,423
Re: Lots of Questions

Not into LD rides but do do 5-800 mile days when on the road.
Have made 3 coast to coast trips so far on my 02 LT.
You can make the best time when traveling alone, additional bikes or passengers just complicates matters and doubles chance something will go wrong.

Leg aches -- try "Surburban" Lowered Pegs and XL "J-Pegs" so you can vary riding position and stretch out. I use the stock seat with a "Beadrider"

Neck pain -- excercise as you ride as mentioned, perhaps new helmet (love my Schuberth C3) and use a neck scarf/sleve to keep air off the neck muscles and keep muscles warm and loose. Scarf also adds support to bottom of helmet taking strain off neck muscles.

Shifter linkage -- When mine broke I was able to remove broken stud by threading it thru and out the back, then reversed linkage and reassenbled as there was just enough thread left to reattach (lucky break?). Then ordered replacement from [email protected] and carry my stock linkage for a spare. I did manage to later break philjohns but I have a heavy foot and think his part is worth paying for so ordered another.

Carry an MSR bottle of extra fuel in case you misjudge gas stops.

Carry ready to consume food you can eat while refueling and stay hydrated by continuosly sipping on a Camelback, I carry a water bladder in my Cortech Mini tankbag.

Inspect/upgrade your lighting, front and rear. I have HID low beam, LED motolights and Kizan racklight flasher. Running lights on fairing and in tail light converted to dual elements.

Stop for at least one good meal/rest per 1000 miles.

I always start any trip with recent bike service/inspection and new tires.

I would carry Final Drive rebuild parts or find someone who has a spare drive you can call and could overnight to you just in case.

BTW: I just had the breakhose from the handelbar to front wheel fail on my 02 at 85000 miles. If you inspect up under the fairing where it attaches to the splitter block to both front caliper hoses and turn the handelbars you will notice how the hose (at least on my bike) flexes right at the steel collar and not along the length of the hose. IMO the routing or length of the hose creates a stress point where hose must eventually crack.
I would carry a spare as I had no luck finding a replacement when I was on the road ( I was in Deluth, Minn and A & S in CA was the closest dealer who had one on the shelf) . It's replaceable without removing fairing if you are flexible enough. I rode home to CA using the rear brake only since my 02 has linked brakes without issue.

Good Luck
Safe Travels

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dougholck; Jan 31st, 2011 at 11:56 am.
dougholck is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 3:40 pm
Member
 
davidpweis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: , Texas Hill Country,
Posts: 86
Re: Lots of Questions

Wow..All great replies. I never thought to bring "Final Drive rebuild parts or find someone who has a spare drive you can call and could overnight to you just in case". Good advice.. I would think along the I-10 route, you'll never be more than a few hours from a BMW dealer (except between san antonio and Tucson)

My advice, based on 3 SS's and many multi day multi mile rides...

- The best way to prepare for the ride is 1) Get a very comfortable seat, and 2) sit on it a lot. ....Go on a 3 hour ride, then a 5 hour ride, then a 8 hour ride. Build up, then u'll be fine.

- Use a backrest. I have a bag secured to the rear seat; a camelback is betwen the bag and my back, so I can rest against it.

- Get a winscreen that will eliminate buffetting.

- Footpegs

- Spend the money on a good, comfortable, light helmet.

- Make sure you have found earplugs that you can wear day after day. This has caused me problems on multiday rides.

- Get some entertainment; (Ipod, xmradio, etc)

- Go during the warmer months, so you can travel at night without freezing when the sun drops. The I-10 route is very nice in May, but its even better in June or July :-)

- Figure out a system to ensure you stay hydrated on the bike. If you dehydrate the first day, you'll not recover the next day. Staying hydrated and ensuring you do not dehydrate is critically important to endurance riding.

- Plan your route so you avoid rush hour through the cities; If you think your going to hit Houston at 4:10pm, go around, it might take you an extra 70 miles, but you'll be through and fresh. Nothing worse than sitting in stop/go traffic with all those fumes. U wanna keep moving..

- Plan your route so you can go through texas during the day. The speed limit is 70, then 80mph on i-10 during the day, but drops to an enforced 65mph at night. This can mean hours and hours when traveling the 800 miles of Texas.

- Classic IBA: Eat at one stop, fuel at the other. by splitting up your food and fuel, you get two stops for the same time.

- Get a radar detector and know its capabilities. A ticket will slow down your entire journey.

- Go the speed limit 10 miles on either side of a city in the desert areas. Cops usually patrol the 10 mile zone around cities / towns i.e. Kerrville, Junction, Senora, Ozona, Ft. Stockton, Balmorhey, Van Horn, etc.(texas)

Work out a system where you always put your wallet away at fuel stops. Carry a spare Credit card, copy of your license, etc on the bike. Leaving your wallet at a fuelstop is the quickest way to end a trip.

Carry a spare (strike that); two spare keys on you at all times! One placed on the bike in your soft luggage, one in your pocket.

- Break your trips in different parts by planning to get off the highway. Once out west, the primary roads are empty, and you only have to slow down through the towns. LIke take Rt. 9 through New Mexico... Its nice to get away from those 18 wheelers;

- Carry a SPOT, Make sure the HELP message (to your friends/family) has your VIN and the BMW Towing #. Mine is like "HELP: I'm most likely stranded somewhere on the road without telephone service. Please call BMW ###### and have them get me; VIN ####".... Be clear in your 911 message i.e. "HELP: I'm on a cross country motorcycle trip, and am most likely in an bad accident on a deserted road"

- Hook up with the BMWLT crew on the way through..we'd love to feed you, and travel a few miles with you to keep you company. :-)

- Plan, Plan, Plan your route. then diverge from it..

- And finally, Enjoy it..remember, its not about the bragging rights, its about the ride, being out there, moving through the air, seeing new sights, meeting new people. You'll be back at your desk soon enough!

Enjoy.

Dave

<center>
<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">
<img src="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vuuuuuuuuvvuvuuuuvuuuuvvvuuuuuvuuuvvuuvuvuu" border="0"></img>
<br>Free, personalized travel maps at mytriplogs.com</a>
<br>
</center>

Last edited by davidpweis; Jan 31st, 2011 at 3:59 pm.
davidpweis is offline  
post #12 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 7:34 pm
cwo
Senior Member
 
cwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Baldwin City, KS, USA
Posts: 374
Re: Lots of Questions

Howdy

I am in my 50s and just started riding again in Oct 2009.... so I am not really qualified to give much advice.

However, concerning neck and shoulder pain on longer rides (400-700 mi.) I found my modular helmet was causing my problem. For some reason, the Scorpion helmet which is a very good helmet just didn't fit me well. After asking several riders, I tried a different helmet (Shoei) and my shoulder/neck problem went away.

Both are good helmets.... one just just seemed to fit me better.

Just an idea..... might try a different helmet.

Have fun.

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
cwo is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 8:18 pm
Member
 
DigDug68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sonora, Tx, USA
Posts: 86
Re: Lots of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpweis
Wow..All great replies. I never thought to bring "Final Drive rebuild parts or find someone who has a spare drive you can call and could overnight to you just in case". Good advice.. I would think along the I-10 route, you'll never be more than a few hours from a BMW dealer (except between san antonio and Tucson)

My advice, based on 3 SS's and many multi day multi mile rides...

- The best way to prepare for the ride is 1) Get a very comfortable seat, and 2) sit on it a lot. ....Go on a 3 hour ride, then a 5 hour ride, then a 8 hour ride. Build up, then u'll be fine.

- Use a backrest. I have a bag secured to the rear seat; a camelback is betwen the bag and my back, so I can rest against it.

- Get a winscreen that will eliminate buffetting.

- Footpegs

- Spend the money on a good, comfortable, light helmet.

- Make sure you have found earplugs that you can wear day after day. This has caused me problems on multiday rides.

- Get some entertainment; (Ipod, xmradio, etc)

- Go during the warmer months, so you can travel at night without freezing when the sun drops. The I-10 route is very nice in May, but its even better in June or July :-)

- Figure out a system to ensure you stay hydrated on the bike. If you dehydrate the first day, you'll not recover the next day. Staying hydrated and ensuring you do not dehydrate is critically important to endurance riding.

- Plan your route so you avoid rush hour through the cities; If you think your going to hit Houston at 4:10pm, go around, it might take you an extra 70 miles, but you'll be through and fresh. Nothing worse than sitting in stop/go traffic with all those fumes. U wanna keep moving..

- Plan your route so you can go through texas during the day. The speed limit is 70, then 80mph on i-10 during the day, but drops to an enforced 65mph at night. This can mean hours and hours when traveling the 800 miles of Texas.

- Classic IBA: Eat at one stop, fuel at the other. by splitting up your food and fuel, you get two stops for the same time.

- Get a radar detector and know its capabilities. A ticket will slow down your entire journey.

- Go the speed limit 10 miles on either side of a city in the desert areas. Cops usually patrol the 10 mile zone around cities / towns i.e. Kerrville, Junction, Senora, Ozona, Ft. Stockton, Balmorhey, Van Horn, etc.(texas)

Work out a system where you always put your wallet away at fuel stops. Carry a spare Credit card, copy of your license, etc on the bike. Leaving your wallet at a fuelstop is the quickest way to end a trip.

Carry a spare (strike that); two spare keys on you at all times! One placed on the bike in your soft luggage, one in your pocket.

- Break your trips in different parts by planning to get off the highway. Once out west, the primary roads are empty, and you only have to slow down through the towns. LIke take Rt. 9 through New Mexico... Its nice to get away from those 18 wheelers;

- Carry a SPOT, Make sure the HELP message (to your friends/family) has your VIN and the BMW Towing #. Mine is like "HELP: I'm most likely stranded somewhere on the road without telephone service. Please call BMW ###### and have them get me; VIN ####".... Be clear in your 911 message i.e. "HELP: I'm on a cross country motorcycle trip, and am most likely in an bad accident on a deserted road"

- Hook up with the BMWLT crew on the way through..we'd love to feed you, and travel a few miles with you to keep you company. :-)

- Plan, Plan, Plan your route. then diverge from it..

- And finally, Enjoy it..remember, its not about the bragging rights, its about the ride, being out there, moving through the air, seeing new sights, meeting new people. You'll be back at your desk soon enough!

Enjoy.

Dave
When the speed limit changes from 70 to 80 at the Kimble Co. line you better watch your speed all the way through Crockett Co. Deputys in Kimble Co.(Junction) drive unmarked cars and I have seen them alot further than 10 miles out of town. When you get into Sutton Co.(Sonora) the DPS Regional office is in Ozona so you will often see DPS anywhere between Sonora and Ozona. So dont always go by the 10 mile rule.
DigDug68 is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 8:19 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dnifong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: dublin, ga, usa
Posts: 238
Re: Lots of Questions

Wow, I really appreciate the advice. It is encouraging. Ive read every word a couple of times. Sorry I wasnt clear about the plan. I plan to ride the bike from JAX to San Diego and fly home. My friend will fly to Cal and ride my bike back. That gives him the chance to make his bucket list, he is going to try for the 50 cc and in return he pays for my hotel rooms and flight back.

The bike has Russell all day saddle. it is very good. Ive done the suburban peg lowers, and installed Mic-o-pegs. I have a cee baily shield but have ordered a arowflow to try.

Based on the good advice, Im going to change the shifter linkage, and get a gator back.
The helmet could be an issue. Its a HJC Synergy II flip front I like it but its very heavy.
Im planning on new tires just before the ride.

Once again, I really appreciate the good advice.
dnifong is offline  
post #15 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 8:22 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dnifong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: dublin, ga, usa
Posts: 238
Re: Lots of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDug68
When the speed limit changes from 70 to 80 at the Kimble Co. line you better watch your speed all the way through Crockett Co. Deputys in Kimble Co.(Junction) drive unmarked cars and I have seen them alot further than 10 miles out of town. When you get into Sutton Co.(Sonora) the DPS Regional office is in Ozona so you will often see DPS anywhere between Sonora and Ozona. So dont always go by the 10 mile rule.

Dave, Man that is really good. Hey, what do you mean by carry a spot?
dnifong is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 9:23 pm
Member
 
davidpweis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: , Texas Hill Country,
Posts: 86
Re: Lots of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnifong
Dave, Man that is really good. Hey, what do you mean by carry a spot?
Thanks

A spot is a portable GPS SMS Messenger device, or "emergency personal locator"

www.findmespot.com

When you press one of the 3 buttons, you send pre-defined messages to people.

Messages are 'OK", "HELP", and SOS.

The SOS - """The GEOS International Emergency Response Center alerts the appropriate agencies worldwide for example contacting 9-1-1 responders in North America and 1-1-2 responders in Europe."""

You can purchase cheap insurance so you don't have to pay for the rescue. Works pretty much anywhere in the world

You can also set it up so it 'tracks progress'; sending a stead stream of your location to a server, every 10 mins..I originally got it so my family could track my progesss on my long trips via google maps.

The device is small, and fits in my top pocket of my jacket incase - Some people put it on the bike, but I figure if I'm lying on the ground down a ravine and am too hurt to move, and the Spot is on the bike, what good is that???

Literally a life saver

<center>
<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">
<img src="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vuuuuuuuuvvuvuuuuvuuuuvvvuuuuuvuuuvvuuvuvuu" border="0"></img>
<br>Free, personalized travel maps at mytriplogs.com</a>
<br>
</center>
davidpweis is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 9:25 pm
Member
 
davidpweis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: , Texas Hill Country,
Posts: 86
Re: Lots of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDug68
When the speed limit changes from 70 to 80 at the Kimble Co. line you better watch your speed all the way through Crockett Co. Deputys in Kimble Co.(Junction) drive unmarked cars and I have seen them alot further than 10 miles out of town. When you get into Sutton Co.(Sonora) the DPS Regional office is in Ozona so you will often see DPS anywhere between Sonora and Ozona. So dont always go by the 10 mile rule.
Thanks Dig; I appreciate the insights..

<center>
<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
target="_blank">
<img src="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vuuuuuuuuvvuvuuuuvuuuuvvvuuuuuvuuuvvuuvuvuu" border="0"></img>
<br>Free, personalized travel maps at mytriplogs.com</a>
<br>
</center>
davidpweis is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 9:28 pm
Senior Member
 
zippy_gg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennesaw, GA, USA
Posts: 8,120
Wink Re: Lots of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnifong
Wow, I really appreciate the advice. It is encouraging. Ive read every word a couple of times. Sorry I wasnt clear about the plan. I plan to ride the bike from JAX to San Diego and fly home. My friend will fly to Cal and ride my bike back. That gives him the chance to make his bucket list, he is going to try for the 50 cc and in return he pays for my hotel rooms and flight back.

The bike has Russell all day saddle. it is very good. Ive done the suburban peg lowers, and installed Mic-o-pegs. I have a cee baily shield but have ordered a arowflow to try.

Based on the good advice, Im going to change the shifter linkage, and get a gator back.
The helmet could be an issue. Its a HJC Synergy II flip front I like it but its very heavy.
Im planning on new tires just before the ride.

Once again, I really appreciate the good advice.
Since your bike is an 05 the shift linkage is the newer and beefier one, and so far I have not heard of one of them fail. The pre-05 models were not as strong and I broke my off just as I was leaving home on my99 LT.
Since you have the Russell seat and the Mick-o-pegs you should be fine, although a back rest would be a very nice improvement.
I have done several long runs (Pittsburgh to L.A. on an03 LT in 4 days, Knoxville to L.A on a F-650 in 4 days, and Boca Raton to L.A. on my 05 LT in 3 days). I got busted for speeding 10 minutes before Ft Stockton in Western TX, so heed the advice given above; a radar detector is a must.
I recently drove a car from Ft Myers to L.A. in 2 and half days and it was tough, but I loved it!
I think you will be fine riding 1000 miles in 24 hours. You have been given a lot of good advice so far...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)



For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zippy_gg is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:07 pm
Member
 
BMWROLLIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Posts: 61
Re: Lots of Questions

Have done several trips in the 8-900 mile range taking about 14 hours. I find that on long trips I get less fatigued if I remember to move my neck and head and regularly adjust my seating position. My discomfort comes from not moving around and the more I move the better I feel. If I'm not careful I end up riding many miles sitting like lump on a log and then become uncomfortable before I know it. So adjust your sitting position often.
BMWROLLIN is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:54 am
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: eastliverpool, ohio, usa
Posts: 91
Re: Lots of Questions

I had problems with my leg. I found my seat was the culprit. bought the air-hawk seat cushion. no more problems. i agree that core strength is the key. good luck.
mchammer717 is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 8:09 am
Senior Member
 
STARFIGHTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hot Springs Village, AR, USA
Posts: 1,561
Re: Lots of Questions

Read "29 tips" on the iron Butt site.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
STARFIGHTER is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 8:29 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dnifong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: dublin, ga, usa
Posts: 238
Re: Lots of Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Read "29 tips" on the iron Butt site.

Hey, did you make it on the LT or another bike? Dale
dnifong is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old Feb 4th, 2011, 12:27 am
Gold Supporter
 
graydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 392
Garage
Re: Lots of Questions

Protein, protein and protein. When I had a good friend ( Rodger-Signman) help me get ready for my SS1000, he weaned me off caffeine the week before the ride. I ate only beef jerky and trail mix during my 19 hour 1,153 mile ride. Must say I never felt fatigued. Had my camelback in my tankbag with just water. Now that's the only way I ride LD. No last supper breakfast or anything. Taken right out of the IB handbook.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
graydude is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions, questions, questions... Travis K1600GT/GTL 13 Oct 22nd, 2010 12:33 pm
Major tear down with lots to do and questions I'm sure... atrovarious K1200LT 21 Mar 22nd, 2010 2:33 pm
Questions, questions and more questions! cloydg K1200LT 11 Jun 4th, 2007 9:19 pm
He had lots of questions about my Lt vernvernvern K1200LT 3 Oct 30th, 2006 1:17 pm
Preparing for STC -- Last-Minute Questions hschisler K1200LT 11 Apr 20th, 2006 5:31 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome