I'm thinkin canisterectomy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 1:56 am Thread Starter

I'm thinkin canisterectomy

Rode from Whidbey Island down to Seattle this afternoon in the light rain, stopped in Mukilteo for fuel, I usually just stick the nozzle in and wait for it to click off, then thats it. I have read all the stuff about clogging the vent hose with fuel. I took off and proceded about another 40 minutes down the freeway to my daughters. About a mile away from her house, I was in stop and go waiting at a light, and the motor dies...strange, never ever had that happen. I hit the starter, and it started right up, revved it a few times, and took off. Got to my daughters, bike idled OK. figured it might be crap fuel, or something got wet. Later I left my daughters, got a few blocks away, and the engine kind of acted like it was going to quit, I revved it again and it stayed running, although at low RPM it acted like it wanted to quit. I got on the freeway again, and the bike was running good at high RPMs. but I kept thinking about what was going on? I looked at my fuel gauge, and it was reading maximum full....NOT NORMAL...my fuel gauge always reads a little less than max when I fill it, and it was the same with this last fill, less than max. I immediately had canisterectaphobia and pulled off at the nearest overpass, and the motor died when I stopped. I took the key out and unlocked the gas cap, but was unable to hear if there was any sucking noise, being on the freeway with cars whipping by. I loosened the cap, put the key back in the ignition, and the bike started right up. The fuel gauge reading dropped to where I would expect it to be, and the bike never gave me another bit of problems. I'm thinkin canisterectomy....

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 2:29 am

Re: I'm thinkin canisterectomy

Sounds like you pinned that one, Rich..............Good job ..................sounds like a great ride too...........

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 7:53 am

Rich, I would say that you have hit the nail on the head. I did the canisterectomy on my LT shortly after I got it as a preventive measure. I had the dreaded problem with my RT and it crushed the fuel gauge sender tube causing the gauge to read the same level all the time. Luckily I found a sender tube on Ebay and replaced the damaged one. The crushed tubes can be repaired, but it is tedious.

I assume that the same thing happens on an LT? Hopefully yours isn't damaged. The canisterectomy is a simple procedure, there are several threads on doing it. I simply joined the tube from the tank to the overflow tube with a barbed tubing thingy.

Good luck with your fix and let us know how you make out.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 30th, 2011, 11:55 am

If you do the cannister removal, save the cannister... You may need it for smog check later.

The great state of CA is talking about starting up smog inspections for motorcycles - a missing cannister will cause a failed inspection, so we (in CA) may need to replace to pass.

I just give the advice because other states tend to follow CA's lead on smog. If your state never does the inspections, you may be asked to send the cannister to me!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 12:36 pm

This could almost be like the failed Final Drive thing; where members keep good FDs to mail to people in need.

IF California does do smog checks on Motorcycles, I have two cannisters I can mail out to members...

Pay it forward.

glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
If you do the cannister removal, save the cannister... You may need it for smog check later.

The great state of CA is talking about starting up smog inspections for motorcycles - a missing cannister will cause a failed inspection, so we (in CA) may need to replace to pass.

I just give the advice because other states tend to follow CA's lead on smog. If your state never does the inspections, you may be asked to send the cannister to me!

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 1:14 pm

I'll have to check, don't think I removed it, just disconnected/plugged hose and cut the brown wire.
Might want to collect a few more Glenn, they may become valuable???

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #7 of 10 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 1:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I am new to the k1200Lt so I am not sure how doing a canisterectomy would effect a smog check. My understanding of the charcoal canister is that it only helps recover evaporation of gas fumes from the tank.

So unless their is some engine emmision computer circuit that monitors the canister, how would anyone know it is gone.

If there is such a monitor circuit, then the testing station would need a non-standard type connector to interface with not only the Lt but other BMW bikes also. Who knows about other what interface other bike manufacturers use on their various models. I would think if California intends to implement that program they would have to grandfather existing bikes in and only do a tailpipe check.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 31st, 2011, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
So unless their is some engine emmision computer circuit that monitors the canister, how would anyone know it is gone.
Part of the smog check in CA is "visual inspection" for all smog components - the cannister is a smog component. They would have to dig to discover it "missing", that is true - just depends on how thorough the inspector is.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:24 am

Mine is still located where it always was, just not connected. If anyone has the need let me know. I will remove and ship.
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 1:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw
Mine is still located where it always was, just not connected. If anyone has the need let me know. I will remove and ship.
Yep... I was smart enough to remove mine, because that is a great place to stick a small compressor. Wasn't smart enough to keep it though...

Brian
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
MOA #136148

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in