Bike charging (not the 1200) Stupid question? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 29th, 2011, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

Bike charging (not the 1200) Stupid question?

Say you're out with friends, and they leave their headlight on while parked, and now their bike is dead. For whatever reason, push starting isn't an option, but they do have the pigtails from their battery tender hanging on the side of the bike. Is there any reason to believe you could rig up a cable that connects to the power port of the LT and could "charge" the other bikes battery enough to get it started?
Guess I couldn't sleep last night and this "idea" or whatever popped into my head. ......And no I haven't tried it, was just curious what others with more knowledge then mine might think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 29th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Re: Bike charging (not the 1200) Stupid question?

my first guess is the bmw powerlet circuits would not handle the starting amp draw from the dead motorcycle.

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 29th, 2011, 1:26 pm

I carry jumper cables, but only to charge, not to start. I don't think you'd have any problems at all if you just let the bikes sit for a while and let the other battery charge off yours. Disconnect, then start.
Even with my battery tender, it only takes a couple of minutes to put enough charge into a dead battery to get it started.
When I built my jumper cables, my first thought was to use the SAE connections, but then changed to smaller clips because not everyone I ride with has the SAE's.

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 29th, 2011, 2:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Charging through the quick connect from another battery won't work. Too much amperage for the fuse when one battery is dead. You have to have a regulated output below the fuse capacity otherwise the fuse will just pop. Battery charger or jumper cables is the best option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Jan 29th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Will work with jumper cables. Make sure that your LT's engine is running. You may have to rev your engine to put out more power if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittonb
Say you're out with friends, and they leave their headlight on while parked, and now their bike is dead. For whatever reason, push starting isn't an option, but they do have the pigtails from their battery tender hanging on the side of the bike. Is there any reason to believe you could rig up a cable that connects to the power port of the LT and could "charge" the other bikes battery enough to get it started?
Guess I couldn't sleep last night and this "idea" or whatever popped into my head. ......And no I haven't tried it, was just curious what others with more knowledge then mine might think.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in