What Tools Do You Carry? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 4:52 pm Thread Starter

What Tools Do You Carry?

Sorry if there is already a thread on this. Just wondering what tools are a must when traveling on the LT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Re: What Tools Do You Carry?

Before you think about "the list", consider this. Don't take any tools on the road that you don't use in your garage. Trying to use crappy tools on the side of the road sucks! Food for thought...

- Joe
post #3 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 5:06 pm

tire plug kit (for temporary repair only), tool kit that came with bike and a credit card.

Bob

post #4 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 5:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendrider
tire plug kit (for temporary repair only), tool kit that came with bike and a credit card.

Bob
Are those tools hidden somewhere? Havnt really looked for them but havnt seen any tools.
post #5 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 6:17 pm

With my limited ability, the tools that came with my bike are sufficient. In addition, a pump that I have used,and a plug kit.

Some cash, a credit card along with the BMWON list of contacts.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 6:33 pm
r75

Smile Re: What Tools Do You Carry?

Add a 12 MM hex wrench to the kit for those pesky final drive removals.

BW
post #7 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 6:47 pm
Cat Herder

Credit Card
Glock 17
post #8 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 7:05 pm

The only tools you'll ever need whilst out on the road are those that you've left back at home in your garage. (debit card & Phone excepted).

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 7:55 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Both of my side cases are my metric tool boxes along with anything else I just might need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool Kit 2-10 010.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	801.3 KB
ID:	30269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool Kit 2-10 008.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	800.4 KB
ID:	30270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool Kit 2-10 004.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	791.4 KB
ID:	30271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool Kit 2-10 011.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	832.1 KB
ID:	30272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool Kit 2-10 012.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	808.3 KB
ID:	30273  

Name:	Tool Kit 2-10 013.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	831.5 KB
ID:	30274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool Kit 2-10 017.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	800.3 KB
ID:	30275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool Kit 2-10 018.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	822.5 KB
ID:	30276  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 9:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
Both of my side cases are my metric tool boxes along with anything else I just might need.
It might be cheaper to just buy a reliable motorcycle. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #11 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
You seriously carry all that??? If its that broke maybe the Glock 17 is a better idea to put it out of its misery.
post #12 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Quote:

Dave is not kidding - I've seen um! He could rebuild an engine on the side of the road.... Ever need assistance don't bother with AAA, just call Dave.....

Dave has more tools on his bike than most have in their garage.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #13 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDug68
You seriously carry all that???
He sure does! The LT is top heavy. All those tools in the side cases balance it so well, he doesn't have to put his feet down when he stops!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #14 of 31 Old Jan 26th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Quote:

Wow... you must only ride one-up?

I have 1/3rd of one side and Mrs. RedTigre thinks I am getting paranoid. All weather/heated gear, factory tools and a complete metric allen/torx driver set often takes up one side only.

$200 cash for emergency tow where credit won't always work, and the indispensable VISA.

Wow...

2012 K1600GT

post #15 of 31 Old Jan 27th, 2011, 11:03 am

Saddleman, was looking at your pics. Do you tow that generator too?

I carry extra shift linkage, and the tools I've learned that I need to repair on the road: small vice grip pliers, small long-nosed vise grip pliers, 90 degree needle nose pliers and forcepts (which are great for reaching deep inside to grab stuff). On long rides I carry my cut-out 30MM socket and the other tools needed to get into the final drive. Don't plan on a roadside repair, but should I end up somewhere that it can be worked on, might as well have the tools.
Other than that, the regular tool kit, multi-headed screwdriver and torx type "screwdriver", and a couple of smaller open end adjustable wrenches. Also really like the socket driven alans and a small swivel head ratchet wrench. Zip ties and tape round out my kit.
post #16 of 31 Old Jan 27th, 2011, 11:30 am

Cash
Glock 20, extra clips(loaded).
Never failed me yet...
post #17 of 31 Old Jan 27th, 2011, 5:42 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
It might be cheaper to just buy a reliable motorcycle. :-)
I have all the confidence in the world in my LT. In the last 85,000 miles I have rode it I have only had to work on it twice on the road. Both times the tool kit that comes with the bike would have worked just fine (except I didn't get a tool kit with mine) . I have three options if one of my vehicles break down on the road. #1 fix it #2 tow it home or #3 sell it. I won't pay to have someone else do what I'm very capable of doing myself. I carry a lot more tools & parts than what you see when I'm on a trip. If anybody is ever broke down and I'm riding by I'll stop and do whatever I can to get you going again regardless of my schedule.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #18 of 31 Old Jan 27th, 2011, 5:57 pm

I don't know how many LT riders do their own maintenance, but I do my own. My '02 has close to 80 thou on the odo and I have done all the service work. Except for Major failures.

I believe the secret is to do maintenance on your own bike. The reasons are simply:

*First, you learn about your ride, which may be helpful in South Dakota...
*2nd, I ONLY use tools I carry to work on the bike (On some jobs, yes I add more tools)
*3rd, BMW bikes have a TON of issues, you need to carry enough tools or enough money to deal with THAT FACT.
*Being able to fix the 'simply' things can really empower a rider.

Use a good manual, use the tools, use this site, practice knowing your bike!

We ride thousands of miles on 2 wheels. People wonder why? Its the freedom!! If you can't get along without routine dealer support, you should not be riding extra long distances!

Just my $ .02...YMMV

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #19 of 31 Old Jan 28th, 2011, 5:29 am

I carry the BMW toolkit (later bikes don't have the tool kit, available as an option), a few extra fuses, tire plugging tools, air pump. Also have a spare crownwheel bearing and seal for the final drive. (The bearing can be replaced without removing the FD from the bike so I don't carry the big socket for r/r of the drive itself).
And a credit card. There's way too much that can go wrong with this bike that you can't fix on the road.

Saddleman sets the standard for completeness of tool inventory on the road.
Here he is troubleshooting his bike in the far north of Vermont:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Saddleman wrenching in Jay, VT.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	30282  

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jan 28th, 2011 at 5:39 am.
post #20 of 31 Old Jan 28th, 2011, 7:00 pm

Tool kit that came with the bike plus a 6 and 8" adjustable wrench.

A sharp knife, iPhone, credit card and a Glock 23 with 3 extra mags.

B D R
post #21 of 31 Old Jan 28th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Glock 23 with 3 extra mags.
Gunny, you expecting a war to break out on your ride? You must travel in some rough neighborhoods!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #22 of 31 Old Jan 28th, 2011, 8:23 pm

I carry a fire extinguisher too..........and your safe to bet it's loaded too.............

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT

Last edited by Palerider; Jan 28th, 2011 at 8:23 pm. Reason: spelling
post #23 of 31 Old Jan 28th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Cell phone, Goodsams roadside assisant phone number, tool kit, bike jumper cables-tire plug kit & pump

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing Sale- Lowest Prices!!

Contact Me.

post #24 of 31 Old Jan 29th, 2011, 8:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Gunny, you expecting a war to break out on your ride? You must travel in some rough neighborhoods!
If I was expecting a war to break out, I'd have something real serious close to hand.

I live in a rough neighborhood. Keeps life interesting.

B D R
post #25 of 31 Old Jan 29th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Geessh sort makes my Philips screw driver that came with the bike look mostly pointless

Quote:

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #26 of 31 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 5:21 am

Quote:
I have all the confidence in the world in my LT. In the last 85,000 miles I have rode it I have only had to work on it twice on the road. Both times the tool kit that comes with the bike would have worked just fine (except I didn't get a tool kit with mine) . I have three options if one of my vehicles break down on the road. #1 fix it #2 tow it home or #3 sell it. I won't pay to have someone else do what I'm very capable of doing myself. I carry a lot more tools & parts than what you see when I'm on a trip. If anybody is ever broke down and I'm riding by I'll stop and do whatever I can to get you going again regardless of my schedule.
Speaking of not getting a tool kit. I am waiting for delivery of my 09 LT and while looking it over at the dealer I asked if he would replace the kit I saw missing. I hope he does. If not should I buy the stock BMW tool kit? Or just make my own? Can someone list the basic tool roll? Why do previous owners have to keep that little set of tool?

When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
Colonel. Theodore Roosevelt

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. Albert Einstein
post #27 of 31 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 6:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperjon
Speaking of not getting a tool kit. I am waiting for delivery of my 09 LT and while looking it over at the dealer I asked if he would replace the kit I saw missing. I hope he does. If not should I buy the stock BMW tool kit? Or just make my own? Can someone list the basic tool roll? Why do previous owners have to keep that little set of tool?
The only 'tools' that come with the 09 are a screwdriver, a fuse puller, some fuses and an antenna wrench to remove the antenna.

Chuck
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #28 of 31 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 8:11 am

If someone doesn't beat me to the gun/picture, I'll unroll mine and take a picture. If mine was missing, I'd go through my garage and just assemble another one with available tools.

I don't think that there is is anything special in it except for the wheel remover and that's just a socket size.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0221.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	30335  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Last edited by DanDiver; Feb 2nd, 2011 at 9:04 am.
post #29 of 31 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperjon
The tool kit isn't "missing" on 09s, it is simply not included and is available as an option. If you haven't negotiated the deal then you could ask that it be included in the price, if the deal is already done, then it would be a goodwill gift on the part of the dealer.

I wouldn't buy the BMW tool kit, rather assemble one. The BMW toolkit is no doubt over priced and there isn't anything really unique in it.
post #30 of 31 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 11:10 am

My 2009 came with a screwdriver and that is it! I have added a tire repair kit and a cruztools set by roadtech. This tool kit has the basic tools specific for the BMW K1200LT. It fits in the left saddle bag were the BMW "tool kit" goes. If all else fails a Glock 23 or a Smith and Wesson 4506 will put the bike out of it's misery if necessary. But with only 6K on it everything is running just fine. Time for a service though.

L. Jay Keeran
K6LJK
2009 LT "USS Defiant"

post #31 of 31 Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 5:33 pm

OK so should I keep the one from my 2000 RT?

When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
Colonel. Theodore Roosevelt

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. Albert Einstein

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in