Both Fans Running when switched on - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:36 pm Thread Starter

Question Both Fans Running when switched on

Hi, I'm a new owner of an 06 LT. First time BMW owner and so far I love the bike.

The bike started something a week back (after a cold temperature outside of around 14 degrees). I keep it under a cover in a carport.

Both cooling fans now come on when I switch it on to crank it. I have pulled the fuse under the seat and they go off, but can't find anything wrong.

Is it possible that a wire is shorted somewhere? (I have seen evidence of mice around the carport). I checked the two connections on the bottom / front of the motor ( I think these are the temp sensors) and everything looked okay there too. The shop tells me the relays are under the tank and that that is most likely not the problem.

I have the Clymer manual and studied the wiring diagrams last week and it appears that the relay is allowing power to the fuse panel as I mentioned. The bike only has 7100 miles on it.

I took it for a 20 minute ride this afternoon and the fans ran the whole time.

If you turn the kill switch to the Off position, they do not run or if you pull the fuse under the seat they do not run. Other than that, they run while switched on.

Any ideas on other things I can check?

Sammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2011, 6:21 am

Re: Both Fans Running when switched on

Sounds like you may have a bad engine temperature switch. Its located underneath the engine, covered by a small rubber boot. I don't remember if you need to remove the lower cowling to get to it. Your Clymers will have pix.

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2011, 6:43 am

I hates thoses meeces to pieces.

Start looking for the little boogers and don't ride with both fans going - you'll never get the engine anywhere close to operating temperature.

I have *heard* that using a potato peeler and shaving off pieces of Irish Spring soap - then scattering around the floor under your bike - will keep them away. Apparently you need to use the REAL brand and not a knockoff and renew monthly.

Mothballs inside of socks stuffed inside the fairing at several places WILL work, but they are darned expensive and sublimate rapidly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2011, 6:56 am

Welcome to the forum Sammy. Sorry I can't help with your fan problem, but sounds like Ron has some good suggestions to keep the mice away. I still think a big hungry cat is one of the best things, but you may have a problem keeping the cat in the car port. Best of luck with finding the problem.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #5 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2011, 7:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatzo
Welcome to the forum Sammy. Sorry I can't help with your fan problem, but sounds like Ron has some good suggestions to keep the mice away. I still think a big hungry cat is one of the best things, but you may have a problem keeping the cat in the car port. Best of luck with finding the problem.
Just feed the mice!

One other thought - although kind of strange - could cold temperatures have caused it?

Hmmmm...... (stroking chin)

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2011, 7:47 am

Sammy,
Check to make sure you have the temp sensor (#15 in the pic below) connected at both ends.

If that is connected, then check the wire connector on the upper left side of your bike under your seat.....you'll have to take off your left side battery access panel to get to it.....

Here's an online manual to help until you get yourself a Clymers (strongly recommended). ....look at page 17.8 for radiator stuff....troubleshooting begins on 17.12.....

Good luck!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #7 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2011, 3:15 pm

garage cat !

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #8 of 14 Old Jan 24th, 2011, 7:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter36
Sounds like you may have a bad engine temperature switch. Its located underneath the engine, covered by a small rubber boot. I don't remember if you need to remove the lower cowling to get to it. Your Clymers will have pix.
That one only drives the temperature gage. The one at the back of the cylinder head is the one that feeds the ECU which, in turn, drives the fan relays. BlauBeeMr has it correct.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 14 Old Jan 25th, 2011, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies. I've been following along on here for a few months prior to my purchase. I will look for that temp sensor this weekend. I found the one on the front of the engine (front of bike), but it looks like the one I need to check is towards the rear of the bike (in front of the rear tire).

Have a great day!

Sammy
post #10 of 14 Old Jan 25th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
That one only drives the temperature gage. The one at the back of the cylinder head is the one that feeds the ECU which, in turn, drives the fan relays. BlauBeeMr has it correct.
Thanks for setting me straight on this one, John. I have to go back and check my own. I'm guessing that this sensor is pretty much buried on the back side of the engine. Does anyone have any photos showing the location of this sensor?

Bob

Bob
2003 K1200LT Black
Rockaway, NJ
post #11 of 14 Old Jan 25th, 2011, 6:39 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I don't have a picture but it is on the rear of the cylinder head near the ignition coil.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 14 Old Jan 29th, 2011, 6:03 pm Thread Starter

Ok, I found the problem. The mouse bit through the wire coming off the back of the engine temp sensor towards the rear of the engine. I have about 4 inches of wire on the sensor and the remaining hanging from the battery compartment. Not sure how to proceed. The casing has two wires in it, a yellow one and a brown one. I can't seem to get the wire or sensor off of the engine so I can splice the two back together. Does anyone know how to remove either the wire from the sensor or the sensor from the engine. I removed the lower left faring so I can see the wire, but it's behind a square black housing that has a horizontal mounting bolt on the top (out of reach) and the bottom. The bolts on this housing run front to back on the motorcycle if that helps identify it. I think if that housing were removed, I could get in there to work.

Thoughts, ideas? I really appreciate the insight from this group.

Sammy
post #13 of 14 Old Jan 29th, 2011, 6:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I believe the sensor unscrews like a spark plug, but drain the anti-freeze before you take it out. Beyond that all you need is a couple of jumpers, solder, shrink wrap, and some dead mice.

post #14 of 14 Old Jan 29th, 2011, 6:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That "BlackBox" is the coil. You can swing it out of the way and disconnect the other end of the cable and that should give you room to work.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in